Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll just leave this here

The first thing my wife said when we got to check out her mother's new Kona. "That horn is useless, can you fix it?" So I did.

That's the Wolo Model 200 Electric Horn, http://wolo-usa.com/200-big.jpg

I installed with a relay and its own fuse. It is triggered by a wire spliced into the existing horn wiring. The existing horn stays in place and is 'augmented' with this set up.

The neighbours just loved me testing it.

Oh yes, I found an easier way to access the existing horn, especially the wiring. Remove the inner liner on the front left wheel. It is three screws and a bunch of plastic plugs. The horn is mounted at about the same level as the front edge of the liner under the headlight.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Thank you for revealing another access point to the horns and taking the time to provide photos. :smile: I believe you are saying when you refer to the left is, the drivers side correct? Curious as to why you mounted the horn on the passenger side of the engine compartment? I'm thinking, there wasn't enough space available on the driver side engine compartment or the wheel well?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I believe the mounting was easier as most of us have said that the amount of room where the horn is under the driver side , but for the ones with LED headlights is a whole unit which as if looking at it takes a lot of space and seeing how the one horn is mounted next to this gives enough room for that. Where they mounted their horns apparently and since I do not have a 2.0 engine bay we have the coolant tank there. Not sure about enough room on the driver side engine bay either also I am searching for places to mount OCC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for revealing another access point to the horns and taking the time to provide photos. :smile: I believe you are saying when you refer to the left is, the drivers side correct? Curious as to why you mounted the horn on the passenger side of the engine compartment? I'm thinking, there wasn't enough space available on the driver side engine compartment or the wheel well?
Your thinking is correct. The wide open area on the passenger side (assuming left hand drive), along with the proximity to an easy ground screw for mounting and grounding made the choice obvious to me.

I'm just waiting to hear what the shop guys say when the car goes in for service. I bet there will be phallic innuendo and horny comments.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Oh, I hope no one is near those horns if they accidentally activate it.:surprise::grin: Deafness will certainly follow!:surprise:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just to find the horn wire at an easy place to splice for a relay to feed extra horn would be great ? What color wire was on oem horn ? Companies hording the technical vehicle data should be fined ! I want shop service manuals ! It is a monopoly not to be available.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Pull the drivers side inner plastic wheel well and you'll find the horn and the wiring to put in a relay. Then add these;

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I just added these last night, I spun off the OEM horn itself from it's bracket, so the braket was still there. I then TIG welded a bolt the fitted through all the mounting holes to one of the new horns mounting brackets. I added a star lock washer in between the two horns to keep them in place from each other when bolted down. I wired two wires into one of those slide on electrical fittings they use in cars and boats 12 volt applications. Coated all wires with die electric grease and inside connection fittings and all over the horns electrical fittings. I then added another fitting to one side of the wires to tap TO the other horn's electrical connection. Before this I cut the power harness plug end off and used these Wago plastic connectors and added some die electrical grease inside these. This made an easy connection because it WAS a pain in the ars install, because of being on your back and no room /weird position. Going through the fender well would be a better way. I committed going from under, so I just kept going with that choice. No need for a relay till I see a blown fuse.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EG18K1Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.menards.com/main/electr...167-c-6447.htm?tid=5215699174985197177&ipos=2

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Banned
1,278 Posts

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Yes quite loud!

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
268 Posts
Dang have to figure out how to reduce pictures again. Well text detail for horn, wheel well has two pull pins in middle, 7 ? on outter edge, and three on bottom. One nut like looking holder middle top, wiggled it enough and came down, but do not know the proper way to remove this hex clip. Also found on bottom pans,along sides middle, all mine where loose, turned to snug ? This will get you enough room to pull the front well out about five inches. First view is a connector harness , about 20 wires, and held on a metal support by two pressure push pins, I use a 1/4 inch open end to press side tabs in to pull down, back one is tough. Behind this and lower right is the horn and clip. Horn clip has a pressure tab on top, press down and wiggle off. I trimmed the covering plastic, to be able to slide the round cover off about an inch or more. Their are two wires, green positive,
and black negative. I spliced a pressure press staycon connectore on both. ( only because i goofed up and thought black was hot) Plugged in two wires, and staycon, put into a 1/4 sleeve cover, then ran right up by battery. Closed up wheel well, put a relay left of master brake cylinder using a 6 x1.0 nut on screw/tab above. Also these screw tabs have big plastic washer like holders, that are loose and allow you to slip a tywrap behind them to use as anchor support for wire harness to horns if run to passenger side, like i did in my 2.0 L. Under the engine ground connection is another unused 6x1.0 nut hole, also another one forward in front of strut on body. Used both to support two horns. So oem relay power also runs to a 3 amp fuse and relay coil above. Relay contacts are wired to battery clamping stud, with another 6mmx1.0 nut and 10 amp fuse holder ; then threw com contact 30 and N/O 87 contact ? to feed power to horns . When I reduce pictures will post them too. Also added my mud flaps today, added one extra self tapping screw on upper rear mud flap. Rear has two oem screws, and one added inside well, then one push pin on bottom. Fronts just use two push pins inside wheel well.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Thanks Ham for the photos and information.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
175 Posts
What does the connector that plugs directly into the horn look like?

21 - 40 of 63 Posts