Hyundai Kona Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Electro-mechanical anti-distracted driver device installation

This horn is a joke they put in the Kona , who here has replaced it or know's where is it located ?

I ordered some Hella horns off of Amazon and I'm ready to go !
My take on Hyundai's very pathetic stock horn upgrade, for those times you just need to wake up that very special moron who's going through life like they are the only one on this planet. You know that idiot in the left lane doing 20 mph less than the speed limit, or lane wandering while texting on their personal hand held communication device. If you too want them to put down that cell phone and pay attention to driving so we all can live another day. Install not just one set of Hella horns but two sets, a pair of super tone and a pair of sharp tone. It is a lot of work to remove front bumper fascia and do a proper installation, may as well go big, it just might save your life and family someday. IF YOU NEED TO HONK YOUR HORN YOU WANT PEOPLE ( and those morons I previously spoke of ) TO HEAR YOU!!!!
Will follow up tomorrow with more details on complete installation of horn set up. Have fun "Customizing your Kona".

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hella Horns Custom Installation

step 1) remove under engine plastic splash pan
step 2) unbolt seven 6mmx1.0mm hex bolts w/ 10mm head and twelve quick release push pins, reach up and disconnect fog lamp connectors if equipped
step 3) remove one self tapping screw and three push pins from both left & right inner fender wells ( see arrows in picture 3 for locations )
step 4) remove four 6mmx1.0mm hex bolts w/ 10mm head from top section of bumper cover assembly ( see arrows in picture 4, lift hood for access )
step 5) this is the hard part, release bumper cover from left & right sides by gently but firmly pulling away from fender and just under both headlamps to release all the tabs on bumper cover ( look closely at picture 5 & 6, arrows show the tabs )
step 7) move bumper cover assembly aside until time for reassembly

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
step 8) set of Hella Super tones ( low tone - 300 Hz, high tone - 500 Hz ) and set of Sharp tones ( low tone - 350 Hz, high tone - 415 HZ ). Total of four horns, four different notes
step 9) locate stock pathetic horn for removal
step 10) unplug 2 pin connector to stock horn and unbolt horn to remove, the green wire in this connector will be extended and used to trigger 30amp relays for Hella horns
step 11) cut off stock 2 pin connector, apply shrink tubing to cover black ground wire ( this ground will no longer be used ), splice and solder length of 18ga wire to green wire then apply adhesive lined dual wall shrink tubing to protect )
step 12) prepare wiring for hella horns, this will be 12ga wire with ground wires run directly to battery negative post and positive wires run through relays that are supplied battery voltage directly from positive post of battery protected by separate fuses ( this will provide full battery voltage to Hella horns allowing maximum decibels )
step 13) all double crimp terminals are also soldered for maximum current flow, due to location of mounted horns and difficulty to access them I also soldered connectors at horn terminals to the horn terminals for permanent connection, followed up by covering with adhesive lined dual wall shrink tubing for corrosion protection
Note; pair of horns are wired together on left side and pair of horns are wired together on right side, each pair will be provided voltage through their own separate relay/fuse combination ( would be too much current draw for all four of these high power horns to be powered through same relay and fuse ) ( each relay will be triggered by the stock green horn wire that was previously extended, this portion of relay draws very little current and will be protected by stock horn circuit fuse )

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
I want to do a set like this, but just one set, right behind the grill. Like I used to have on my subaru.

·
Registered
15 Posts
step 14 to 18) The Hella horns can be mounted at existing bolt locations on bumper impact bar, two above and two below. due to space limitations the sharp tones - yellow horns need to go above next to head lamps and super tones - red horns need to be below. Normally I would prefer to mount horns so they could be seen when looking through grill, however it would be a BAD idea to mount in front of turbo intercooler also radiator support air dam is made of plastic ( would have been too involved designing suitable bracket to mount horns, also best not to restrict air flow to radiator ). In the end when bumper cover is reinstalled you can not see the red horns, you can get a glimpse of yellow horns thru upper grill if viewing from angle. Not to worry though, you will absolutely have no problem hearing these as all four are facing forward, use with discretion but without reservation when needed!!

step 14) arrow showing lower bolt location on passenger side impact bar, remove bolt and discard

step 15) horn is mounted using a longer 8x1.25 flanged head bolt, 8mm external star washer on each side of Hella horn bracket, and a spacer so horn bracket is not distorted by raised edge of impact bar bracket ( see arrow in picture 15 ) Hella horn bracket needs to be set a 45 degree angle towards outside of car to allow for clearance of fog lamps if equipped

step 16) arrow showing upper bolt location on drivers side of impact bar, remove bolt and discard, utilize same longer bolt & star washers & spacer, Hella horn bracket needs to be set at 45 degree angle towards center of car for clearance between head lamps and radiator support

step 17) showing horns installed on drivers side, arrow showing wiring for both left and right pairs of horns and stock horn positive wire that was previously extended running up and thru opening under drivers side DRL and into engine compartment

step 18) all four horns installed, at this point front bumper cover can be reinstalled in reverse order of removal, rest of wiring will be done inside engine bay

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
steps 19 to 25) Overview of wiring inside engine bay, passenger side pair of horns will be provided full battery power through its own 30 amp relay and fuse when relay is triggered by stock horn power wire that was extended up into engine compartment. The same setup will be repeated for drivers side pair of horns. Each pair of Hella horns have their own 12ga ground wire run directly to negative post of battery. Each relay has their own 18ga ground wire run directly to negative post of battery. The only part of this wiring setup that uses any portion of the cars stock wiring is the relay 12 volt trigger wires when horn button is pushed on steering wheel ( this 12 volt signal to relays is protected by the cars original horn circuit fuse )

step 19) close up of wiring from horns run under day time running lamp into engine bay

step 20) five wire harness ( two 12ga black for horn grounds directly to battery, two 12ga brown wires for 12 volt power to horns from relays, one 18ga red wire extended from stock horn green power wire to trigger relays - this red wire will be piggybacked to trigger each relay at same time )

step 21) two weather proof relays and connectors are wired up and assembled. Look closely at wires into relays, 12ga brown to power the pairs of horns, 12ga red is power into relays from fuses, 18ga black is ground from battery negative post, 18ga red are relay trigger wires from stock horn wire extension

step 22) two weather proof fuse holders wired. 12ga red wires will feed main power to the relays, 12ga blue & brown wires feed power to fuse from battery positive post (the blue & brown wires will be covered w/ red shrink tubing to represent 12 volts positive, I ran out of 12ga red wire! )

step 23 ) shows both sets of fuse holders and relays mounted to a custom made bracket

step 24) arrow shows bracket mounted to existing bolt that holds stock fuse panel inside engine bay. notice bracket was bent to allow clearance for access to headlamp aim adjusters and bulb holders.

step 25) shows positive and negative connection to battery posts. Both 12ga red wires that feed fuse holders are installed together in single heavy gauge terminal, wires are crimped and soldered to terminal then covered w/ adhesive lined shrink tubing then piggybacked onto positive post clamping nut. Both 12ga black ground wires to horns & both 18ga black wires to relays are installed together in single heavy gauge terminal, wires are crimped and soldered to terminal then covered w/ adhesive lined shrink tubing then piggybacked onto negative post clamping nut.

note: all wires leading into and out of fuse holders and relays are crimped and also soldered, the goal is to provide excellent full battery current to the horns with corrosion proof & worry free connections. Important to use the weather proof type relays & fuse holders as they treat the roads here in the Northeast during the winter with that evil Magnesium chloride stuff!!

Have fun "Kustomizing your Kona"

·
Registered
238 Posts
Lol. I was just saying this today too. The horn is a joke, I'll have to get some hella horns too. Had them in my tacoma and they were awesome!
Yup, pathetic is right. I blew the horn at a tractor trailer that cut me off and the "squeek" at 70mph was embarrassing and probably not heard by anyone except me. Hella twin horn kit received and going in this week. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CRZXPI

·
Registered
557 Posts
My car car runs great but very disappointed about the intimidating sound. Any tried suggestion ?
Not sure what your referring to, as the horn is quite pathetic. I have a pair on Hella Supertones in the stock location.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This horn is a joke they put in the Kona , who here has replaced it or know's where is it located ?

I ordered some Hella horns off of Amazon and I'm ready to go !
The Hella Horns you ordered for your Kona. Are they loud & do they come with the CORRECT plug on them, so they just hook right up? Did you replace the second horn (car alarm horn) that is on the passenger side inside fender wall?

And would you post the link of where you bought them? Thank you ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well after checking, the horn is located (facing the bumper) on the right side of the front facia, midway on the center line. There's only one possibly two way to get at it. The first requires, removal of the facia the second, you may be able to remove the bottom engine panel and reach up and remove it. I'm assessing the removal of the panel first as it would be the easier route. I'm not going to remove the front facia just to add or replace the additional horns. Now if and when the come out with a larger

@dbeatty, the second horn is not really a horn. It's sounds more digital sounding beeper as in a, back-up alarm beeper for trucks, vans etc. It comes from near the same location as the horn on the Kona. The Hyundai as well as the older Kia autos used a small round motorcycle style horn. My son has one on his 2015 Kia Rio.?
All you really need to do is yank the wires and mount the new horns somewhere more accessible.

I replaced my '13 Soul horn with an a-ooogah! horn and that was a big improvement. But the tinny horn beep still sounded off if I clicked the lock button twice.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts