Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This horn is a joke they put in the Kona , who here has replaced it or know's where is it located ?

I ordered some Hella horns off of Amazon and I'm ready to go !

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
In the front bumper "sigh". Requires removal I believe. I could be wrong but I pretty sure.

·
Registered
175 Posts
This horn is a joke they put in the Kona , who here has replaced it or know's where is it located ?

I ordered some Hella horns off of Amazon and I'm ready to go !
Lol. I was just saying this today too. The horn is a joke, I'll have to get some hella horns too. Had them in my tacoma and they were awesome!

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Actually I haven't even tried it yet. They have some direct plugin units from China I saw on eBay I think. They were also on Alipress. They have the right connector also. Fairly inexpensive also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm more curious to know if it is a second horn for the '18 Kona's alarm's 'armed' indicator. When I click the lock button twice on the key FOB it has a very annoying and diaphragm-y noise. I was told by a local dealership that the 2013 Hyundai Sonata I used to own had a second horn specifically for this feature that I could change out to a better horn. But I ended up trading it in a week later for this guy.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Well after checking, the horn is located (facing the bumper) on the right side of the front facia, midway on the center line. There's only one possibly two way to get at it. The first requires, removal of the facia the second, you may be able to remove the bottom engine panel and reach up and remove it. I'm assessing the removal of the panel first as it would be the easier route. I'm not going to remove the front facia just to add or replace the additional horns. Now if and when the come out with a larger

@dbeatty, the second horn is not really a horn. It's sounds more digital sounding beeper as in a, back-up alarm beeper for trucks, vans etc. It comes from near the same location as the horn on the Kona. The Hyundai as well as the older Kia autos used a small round motorcycle style horn. My son has one on his 2015 Kia Rio.:smile:

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Horn- Driverside front under the plastic engine cover below the headlight.
What panels are required for removal? The DRL cover on the right side or the entire engine panel over the front? I looked at it but can't distinguish which panels. Please appreciate you sharing your findings in detail, if you will. Would rather have a little guidance then going at it blindly. Thank you!:smile:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well after checking, the horn is located (facing the bumper) on the right side of the front facia, midway on the center line. There's only one possibly two way to get at it. The first requires, removal of the facia the second, you may be able to remove the bottom engine panel and reach up and remove it. I'm assessing the removal of the panel first as it would be the easier route. I'm not going to remove the front facia just to add or replace the additional horns. Now if and when the come out with a larger

@dbeatty, the second horn is not really a horn. It's sounds more digital sounding beeper as in a, back-up alarm beeper for trucks, vans etc. It comes from near the same location as the horn on the Kona. The Hyundai as well as the older Kia autos used a small round motorcycle style horn. My son has one on his 2015 Kia Rio.:smile:
That really sucks. It is a terrible noise and is kind of embarrassing. I'll have to test if the alarm still arms with just one click of the key fob button, but I like the audible feedback because it lets me know if someone didn't close the door all the way. Especially the tailgate, this seems to need a good hard push to seat properly.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The main horn for honking is as many have stated behind the bumper driver side , if you pull the 10 to 11 plastic clips/ 4 bolts that hold on the plastic engine cover or skid plate you will look up and see the horn right below the headlight it looks like what RC51 Rider posted from Hella.
As far I know there is only one horn the small horn (see picture) is from I can tell is the key fob alarm arm/disarm horn if there is a second horn for honking I would assume it is on passenger side but I have not seen it while replacing the fogs.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
The main horn for honking is as many have stated behind the bumper driver side , if you pull the 10 to 11 plastic clips/ 4 bolts that hold on the plastic engine cover or skid plate you will look up and see the horn right below the headlight it looks like what RC51 Rider posted from Hella.
As far I know there is only one horn the small horn (see picture) is from I can tell is the key fob alarm arm/disarm horn if there is a second horn for honking I would assume it is on passenger side but I have not seen it while replacing the fogs.
Not to be dense but you're picturing it from the bottom looking up? And it requires removal of the skid plate from the bottom. I sure hope so, as this would be a much easier then removing the whole front facia.

Thank you for the clarification and photo it's much appreciated.:grin: It's much easier to see in the second photo. I haven't got around to removing it yet as other things have been priority.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Not to be dense but you're picturing it from the bottom looking up? And it requires removal of the skid plate from the bottom. I sure hope so, as this would be a much easier then removing the whole front facia.

Thank you for the clarification and photo it's much appreciated.:grin: It's much easier to see in the second photo. I haven't got around to removing it yet as other things have been priority.

Note I have not looked from the top looking down while the hood is open to see if you see the horn from the top , I was underneath after basically dropping the plastic skid plate but to tighten the led fogs I put in weeks ago and remember the post on here.

If on your back or on a lift you will look straight up (driver side) and with light you will the shape of the horn, I noticed a bracket that holds it on but the screw/bolt that holds it on is in a bad place to get to so you might be able to access the screw from the top but the LED headlight might make it tight since these have a larger housing vs halogen so some angles of approach will have to be worked out on your end.

1st picture - i assume is the key fob horn/ 2nd honking horn which i only saw 1.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Thank you! I thought this was the more expedient method of reaching it. It's much appreciated!!!:wink::grin:

·
Registered
244 Posts
And when those who do replace the horn let the others as my self will in time what you used as a replacement being Hella Supertones or similar also if you only used 1 or both horns to replace the 1 horn (I assume we have) also the rewiring involved since most require the addition of a relay also.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Will do, it's either going to be the Chinese units, Hella's or the Genesis G80 units.:smile:

·
Registered
244 Posts
As it will be for most that buy the car but like many others it is just another piece of making the car stand out in away or make it our own with mods etc. I come from a Subaru community in which this is standard on mostly all STI/WRXs to add Hella Horns. So just another piece of personalizing the car and well wanting to be heard.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since I purchased the horns from hella and it comes with 2 and they are plug-and-play for Hyundai / Kia I installed the other one in the engine bay for the alarm and when it cools down here in Las Vegas I'm going to do the regular Horn !

Attachments

1 - 20 of 58 Posts