Hyundai Kona Forum banner

Who is having transmission problems with their Kona ?

• No Issues! All is well !

Votes: 31 47.7%
  • DCT issue, In the shop

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • DCT issue resolved via software

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • DCT replaced , All is well

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • DCT fixed more than once and still not Happy !

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No DCT for me!!! Glad I drive a conventional automatic transmission

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • Not running right, Need to have it looked at.

Votes: 8 12.3%
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Got the car back yesterday from the dealer. So far so good but then again it's only been 24 hours, way too soon to tell if the new transmission is going to hold up.
I have an additional 4k miles on mine post repair and it's still shifting smoothly. I have not noticed any hints of the previous issues. Am hoping their fix continues to hold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've never had a turbo or a 7 speed before and curious if the behavior I am feeling is normal or if it is the transmission issue. It feels like it shifts 2 or 3 times very quickly before I get to 30MPH. I can feel the shift quite a bit when I'm driving and it almost feels like a slight hesitation and takes a minute to get going smoothly. The dealer and my partner have told me this is normal in a 7 speed. I drove a Honda Accord V6 before this and never felt the car shift. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Honda loves to make transmissions where you can't feel it shift. They have so much "slip agent " in their OEM ATF fluid in some of their conventional AFT transmissions that the long term outcome have been at times, a bad transmission. When you have a transmission slip, you have heat and you have wear, the two things you don't want. I had a couple of Honda's in our family and the first thing I do is drain the ATF and completely flush out the crappy Honda cheap ATF and install Redline or Amsoil ATF. Then when you are refilling you add 3 plus QTs of Redline or Amsoil's racing ATF that is a Type F that has almost no "slip agent". This reduces the programed in slip Honda uses for their butter smooth shifts that create heat and wear. This was how you could get your Honda Odyssey and other Honda transmissions to last a lot longer and save you a $5,000 -$6,000 rebuilt transmission.

Yes, this fast multiple gear shifting is normal for the Kona DCT. There is also a small "stumble" when starting out at say a stop sign, that seems to be there for almost everyone with the DCT (dual clutch) transmission. Many of us have also taken out the intake resonator that is basically a muffler to quiet intake noise. Which I might add, most here feel after taking this out and putting in a solid tube there is almost no increase in sound. Adding this (not a warranty issue, but Hyundai won't put it in for you) This resonator delete, time/break-in miles, and a bit of more aggressive starts/driving will reduce this stumble. Just be glad the DCT is not a 9 speed transmission like some cars/trucks have. The small delay is somewhat inhaerent of this DCT, it takes some time to get use to, and you learn not dart infront of moving traffic thinking you may just make it in time. You will learn your entery timing with time. Check this link below and it will show you pictures of what I am talking about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Honda loves to make transmissions where you can't feel it shift. They have so much "slip agent " in their OEM ATF fluid in some of their conventional AFT transmissions that the long term outcome have been at times, a bad transmission. When you have a transmission slip, you have heat and you have wear, the two things you don't want. I had a couple of Honda's in our family and the first thing I do is drain the ATF and completely flush out the crappy Honda cheap ATF and install Redline or Amsoil ATF. Then when you are refilling you add 3 plus QTs of Redline or Amsoil's racing ATF that is a Type F that has almost no "slip agent". This reduces the programed in slip Honda uses for their butter smooth shifts that create heat and wear. This was how you could get your Honda Odyssey and other Honda transmissions to last a lot longer and save you a $5,000 -$6,000 rebuilt transmission.

Yes, this fast multiple gear shifting is normal for the Kona DCT. There is also a small "stumble" when starting out at say a stop sign, that seems to be there for almost everyone with the DCT (dual clutch) transmission. Many of us have also taken out the intake resonator that is basically a muffler to quiet intake noise. Which I might add, most here feel after taking this out and putting in a solid tube there is almost no increase in sound. Adding this (not a warranty issue, but Hyundai won't put it in for you) This resonator delete, time/break-in miles, and a bit of more aggressive starts/driving will reduce this stumble. Just be glad the DCT is not a 9 speed transmission like some cars/trucks have. The small delay is somewhat inhaerent of this DCT, it takes some time to get use to, and you learn not dart infront of moving traffic thinking you may just make it in time. You will learn your entery timing with time. Check this link below and it will show you pictures of what I am talking about.

Thank you so much for your reply. Sounds like it's something I will get use to in time. You've eased my mind. Take care!

·
Registered
51 Posts
We got our Limited, turbo and DCT in April 2018, one of the first Konas. After 8,700 miles the car is flawless. Most of the times I can't tell when the trans. shifts unless watching the tech. I love the manual shift and use it often, and always on uphill driving to keep the engine from lugging.
The only issue is when taking off from a full stop I must be gentle on the gas for the first 50 feet or it will chirp the tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We purchased our 2018 Kona with 18K miles. I'm not sure the first driver worked out the transmission shifts for us, but I'm hoping it will improve. Thanks for your post. I can relate to everything you have said and it makes me feel better about what I'm experiencing and doing to improve performance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
For what it's worth, I had one of the first transmission replacements and do not regret my purchase. The repair has shown no signs of reversal and the car drives flawlessly now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just been told that my transmission is shot. 2019 Kona. 35600 kms.
Very strange.
Dealer is changing out under warranty

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, I thought I just needed to get used to the different feel of the dct, especially on start from dead stop, or feathering the throttle on uphill slow stop and go, but I guess its time to take it in.

Yesterday, while stopped in traffic, I tried to get out of the way of a potential out of control driver seen coming too fast in the mirror.......so I jabbed the throttle and NOTHING happened!,,,it just sat there in silence and motionless! NOT GOOD!

Luckily, the oncoming car did finally hit it's brakes and stopped before rear-ending me.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts