Hyundai Kona Forum banner

Who is having transmission problems with their Kona ?

• No Issues! All is well !

Votes: 42 42.9%
  • DCT issue, In the shop

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • DCT issue resolved via software

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • DCT replaced , All is well

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • DCT fixed more than once and still not Happy !

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No DCT for me!!! Glad I drive a conventional automatic transmission

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • Not running right, Need to have it looked at.

Votes: 16 16.3%
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi! Seems to me like hyundai needs to figure out wht is going on with the 1.6t and dct combo. I have à 2022 kona n line and already problems with the same issue. Hard shifts from 1st to 2nd very scary for long term reliability...just saying.

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Quite a few times, I have turned right from a stop or into traffic only to get a scary pause. Now for most of my in-town driving, I push the Sport mode and do not to get the 1st gear stumble and turbo lag.
sport mode will raise the rpm‘s at idle which helps with off idle starts and stumbling at idle. Having the AC on without sport mode exacerbates the issue. Last time I was at the dealer, I asked about this, was told There was no “formal” issue or fix for the low idle stumble or hesitation.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well-- at 20k miles, I now have to change my vote.

In the past week-or-so, my 2020 1.6t DCT is now acting weird. It seems to slip in even numbered gears...well, at least I can confirm it slipping in 6th gear.

The only way i can describe it is that it is like the clutch is going out/needs to be replaced, if you compare it to a standard foot-operated clutch, or like you are riding the clutch.

The RPMs will go up about 200-300 then come back down. I don't really notice it except for it adds torque steer (acts as if you are giving it more power and the wheels will "track" different when it is "slipping").

The funny thing is that I can't make it do the same thing on-command or repeatable.

I first noticed it when I had cruise control on around 70MPH-or-so on the Interstate. I was going up a hill, that it always downshifts on its own, and it revved twice during the incline. It is only for like 1 second of a "rev" and it never loses power. It just has more torque from the slippage.

It did the same thing but different hills, cruise control on and it does it again sometimes when it is in 6th gear. Turning A/C on-and-off doesn't affect this condition and it may only happen with certain weather (temp, humidity, etc.). Of course, I can't make it do this all the time.

I haven't tried to "reset" the transmission by disconnecting it. I will have to check into that procedure on this board as I don't wanna lose my radio presets !! :)

Again, it doesn't rev to the moon, just about 200-or-so RPM's higher for a spit second.

If I manually shift it into 7th for these hill/downshift combo, it doesn't slip like this. Now, the engine doesn't like it because the RPM's in 7th gear are really too low for the power needed to maintain speed. Again....(sigh) it doesn't slip every time if I let the transmission do its own shifting.

No other performance aspects I can see from it. The only reason I say it is the even gears is that the last time I was out playing and using a lot of throttle, I did notice a little "hiccup" in 4th gear. I dunno. It could have been some engine mapping or changing ignition timing as I was full throttle. I wasn't looking at the gauge so it was just more of a seat of the pants feel for 4th gear.

I will see about resetting the Adaptive Learning thingy and let y'all know.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Your reset will be pulling the battery for 15 mins. As far as what you are seeing may be a clutch, as I see the exact same thing. But mine is full throttle kick down 2 gears on the hwy. It has been acting up like this for 3 months now and resets do nothing. Do you have a piggyback or tune? The hiccup and weird stuff is the HORRID DCT tune from Hyundai. There should be a DCT tune out by someone next summer as the Russians have hacked the DCT password recently and there is an encrypted part on the later (our Kona's) coding that needs to be dealt with. That should fix the weird HORRID coding from Hyundai on their 7 speed DCT.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Your reset will be pulling the battery for 15 mins. As far as what you are seeing may be a clutch, as I see the exact same thing. But mine is full throttle kick down 2 gears on the hwy. It has been acting up like this for 3 months now and resets do nothing. Do you have a piggyback or tune? The hiccup and weird stuff is the HORRID DCT tune from Hyundai. There should be a DCT tune out by someone next summer as the Russians have hacked the DCT password recently and there is an encrypted part on the later (our Kona's) coding that needs to be dealt with. That should fix the weird HORRID coding from Hyundai on their 7 speed DCT.
No Tune. Heck....I have a hard time determining what freakin' octane rating to put in the thing !! :)

It is just weird. It's not under full throttle when it does this. It is when trying to maintain 70MPH going up a 3-4% grade. Not a lot going on-- as the turbo kicks in some great part throttle torque and conquers the hill with little fuss. I can't imagine this engine producing enough torque at 2600RPM at something like 1/5th throttle to spin out the clutch and not have it red line once it loses "grip" in the clutch.

Because of the fact that it "catches up" and the RPM's go back to "normal" after a few secs, it makes me think that I just need to reset it. BTW... Do you know if I remove the battery cable if it will reset the radio (Sirius XM, presets, etc.).

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
No Tune. Heck....I have a hard time determining what freakin' octane rating to put in the thing !! :)

It is just weird. It's not under full throttle when it does this. It is when trying to maintain 70MPH going up a 3-4% grade. Not a lot going on-- as the turbo kicks in some great part throttle torque and conquers the hill with little fuss. I can't imagine this engine producing enough torque at 2600RPM at something like 1/5th throttle to spin out the clutch and not have it red line once it loses "grip" in the clutch.

Because of the fact that it "catches up" and the RPM's go back to "normal" after a few secs, it makes me think that I just need to reset it. BTW... Do you know if I remove the battery cable if it will reset the radio (Sirius XM, presets, etc.).

Thanks.
Ok, I would say that is an 80% chance, that is the crap Hyundai coding they never have fixed. Mine is full throttle when I see it. I get all that weird " I think that is clutch slip, but is it Hyundai crap transmission coding?????", all the time. I live with that daily. It will take aftermarket Tuners to fix the code for Hyundai's crap engineering. The 7 speed DCT can be made to preform very close to the new 8 speed DCT in all the N cars IF Hyundai would spend the money to have engineering fix it . TOne DCT/clutch engineers and 3 weeks would fix the coding. They chose not to. In fact there has been some DCT tunes released by Hyundai for some of the new 7-speed DCT trans /clutch fixes on a Veloster Turbo (non N) that my tuner drove after the Hyundai fix and he said the 7 speed ran like the 8 speed trans. So it can be doine and it has been done, BUT Hyundai won't release it. I have tried working through my dealer and the lead mechanic call Hyundai Tech Dept for the dealers and they deny any new crap coding fix. "stone walling". That is why you will see me posting about Hyundai's crap coding. It CAN be fixed, Hyundai chooses not to fix it as it would be a mass recall and they have 5 billion dollar worth of engine rebuilding in the past 11 years to deal with, not to mention EV battery recall a couple Billion and the electrical ABS controller recall. Boy, I can go into Hyundai and their problems ALL relating to "putting their head in the sand" and as we all can see, engineering too quick and ignoring the testing engineers who would never let those issue by unless the top teir management force it's release for us buyer to test and live with sub par unfinished engineering. I tried to convince Hyundai through the dealer to sell the fix as a high performance flash at the customer expense . Heck charge me $300 for the flash, I just want it FIXED!!!!

41 - 46 of 46 Posts