Hyundai Kona Forum banner

Who is having transmission problems with their Kona ?

• No Issues! All is well !

Votes: 31 47.7%
  • DCT issue, In the shop

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • DCT issue resolved via software

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • DCT replaced , All is well

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • DCT fixed more than once and still not Happy !

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No DCT for me!!! Glad I drive a conventional automatic transmission

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • Not running right, Need to have it looked at.

Votes: 8 12.3%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought we might get a better idea of how many people are experiencing issues with their Kona transmission.
A few threads on the subject, this will give us an idea from our community.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you only want DCT owners to respond then fine, but at least change the title. Remember, lots of Kona's have the 6AT instead of the DCT transmission.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Limited AWD has noises like the actuator is clunking as it downshifts at rpm higher than 1500. Car only has roughly 600 miles on it. :( I'm trying to drive it like the manual says (2-4k rpm during the first 750 miles) and I've had it manual for most of the miles to allow the engine to be within that range. Now I'm hearing this noise and I'm concerned. No warning lights yet but if I get one I'll take the poll.

Edit: Either the actuator or the clutch motor. I hear it during the shift and can't really tell when. I definitely feel the transmission jerk as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My Limited AWD has noises like the actuator is clunking as it downshifts at rpm higher than 1500. Car only has roughly 600 miles on it. :( I'm trying to drive it like the manual says (2-4k rpm during the first 750 miles) and I've had it manual for most of the miles to allow the engine to be within that range. Now I'm hearing this noise and I'm concerned. No warning lights yet but if I get one I'll take the poll.

Edit: Either the actuator or the clutch motor. I hear it during the shift and can't really tell when. I definitely feel the transmission jerk as well.
Well for me it was the clutch motor that failed, supposedly. I didn't have ANY clunking or abnormal behavior though, it just threw the error and started shifting weird all of a sudden like someone flipped a switch. Mine also fails intermittently. When it acts up the car will bog like you're trying to start in 2nd gear and you can't manual shift (car won't let you even when you slide the shifter to the left). If you let it sit overnight, it acts fine for awhile and then starts exhibiting the symptoms.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Listen. I've got a 2019 Limited with AWD. I hate automatics but had no choice on this purchase due to family logistics. This Kona steps out nicely in sport mode and shifting through the gears. I will admit there have been a couple of times when I needed a fast start, and it felt like it took forever to kick in. Long enough to nearly cause an accident. I thought I'd accidentally put it into neutral, but I hadn't. Overall I love the car. As a stick driver, you always run the risk of slipping the clutch. But when that happens you have nobody to blame but yourself. I think the mindset with the DCT will have to be "I'm driving a stick, but I have no control over the clutch." A bit scary.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Listen. I've got a 2019 Limited with AWD. I hate automatics but had no choice on this purchase due to family logistics. This Kona steps out nicely in sport mode and shifting through the gears. I will admit there have been a couple of times when I needed a fast start, and it felt like it took forever to kick in. Long enough to nearly cause an accident. I thought I'd accidentally put it into neutral, but I hadn't. Overall I love the car. As a stick driver, you always run the risk of slipping the clutch. But when that happens you have nobody to blame but yourself. I think the mindset with the DCT will have to be "I'm driving a stick, but I have no control over the clutch." A bit scary.
Those were 2 of the symptoms I and the OP of this thread had before the DCT failed. Eventually I was completely locked out of putting it in 'manual mode' (sliding the shifter over still showed 'D' on the dash and pushing it up or down did nothing for gear changes). My official diagnosis from Hyundai was clutch motor failure. I have my doubts because OP had to have the whole tranny replaced.

Keep an eye out...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Going to have to change my vote later, was informed today that I will indeed need a full tranny swap (which I already suspected).

·
Registered
1 Posts
After mentioning the transmission bog/delay on cold starts several times (it's a 2018 LTD with 8k miles) the dealership reset the 'adaptive learning mode' about 3 weeks ago the issues have been resolved. What a difference. If I had to guess, I didn't step into it enough because of the 'break-in period' so it developed bad habits.

·
Registered
69 Posts
After mentioning the transmission bog/delay on cold starts several times (it's a 2018 LTD with 8k miles) the dealership reset the 'adaptive learning mode' about 3 weeks ago the issues have been resolved. What a difference. If I had to guess, I didn't step into it enough because of the 'break-in period' so it developed bad habits.
They did reset mine. Lasted 4 hours before the CEL and symptoms returned...

·
Super Moderator
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like the fact that this automatic is an automated manual.. but would still prefer a true manual. If I were looking for an automatic for mostly city driving in a large metro area.. I would go with a conventional automatic with a torque converter..

·
Registered
69 Posts
I like the fact that this automatic is an automated manual.. but would still prefer a true manual. If I were looking for an automatic for mostly city driving in a large metro area.. I would go with a conventional automatic with a torque converter..
I'm in the same boat, in my 20+ years of driving I've always owned manual transmission cars (save for ones given to me by my job to use for work). When we started car shopping it was between the Crosstrek, HR-V, CX-3, and the Kona. Options and performance wise, the Kona Ultimate was head and shoulders better than the competition on paper. The 0% APR for 60 months didn't hurt either. In hindsight now after having these nonsense transmission issues at 1100 miles, if I could go back in time I wouldn't even consider buying a Kona unless they started offering the Ultimate with a standard automatic or better yet 3 pedals and a gearbox. **** if I was aware of the Tuscon 1.6T DCT problems I may have reconsidered based on that info alone.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Got the car back yesterday from the dealer. So far so good but then again it's only been 24 hours, way too soon to tell if the new transmission is going to hold up.

·
Super Moderator
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good luck.. Hopefully they got it worked out for you, and now you can enjoy it..

Got the car back yesterday from the dealer. So far so good but then again it's only been 24 hours, way too soon to tell if the new transmission is going to hold up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts