Hyundai Kona Forum banner

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
If the manual says its OK to use regular fuel, Then I will trust the engineers design and required specs.
If the engine took advantage of premium fuel, Then I would probably spring for the extra cost and
enjoy a few more ponies. But that's not the case with this engine's setup. I have not experienced any
detonation or pinging.. I also tried running a few tanks of premium with no difference registering on the butt
dyno... pre-igniton and detonation are very destructive to an engine in short order.. I doubt Hyundai is going
to chance their warranty by allowing regular fuel be used if premium was required.. Many are under the pretense that premium fuel equates to more power... That's only true if the engine is designed to take advantage of it..

·
Registered
128 Posts
I definitely notice a butt dyno difference in cold weather. Esp uphill on Eco mode. But if you live somewhere warm it doesn't seem to make any difference in my driving

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
I definitely notice a butt dyno difference in cold weather. Esp uphill on Eco mode. But if you live somewhere warm it doesn't seem to make any difference in my driving
Not surprised as Cold air is dense and allows the ECU to run more boost/timing, etc.. more safely.. but still within the parameters and fuel trims for regular.. Hyundai could take advantage of premium if the ECU was programmed for it.. but according to Hyundai, it does not. The Hyundai Genesis lineup takes advantage of premium fuel but does not require it.
Makes sense since the Kona is a small economical SUV and not an intended hot rod most of us wish it would be..

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #104 (Edited)
Not surprised as Cold air is dense and allows the ECU to run more boost/timing, etc.. more safely.. but still within the parameters and fuel trims for regular.. Hyundai could take advantage of premium if the ECU was programmed for it.. but according to Hyundai, it does not. The Hyundai Genesis lineup takes advantage of premium fuel but does not require it.
Makes sense since the Kona is a small economical SUV and not an intended hot rod most of us wish it would be..
The Kona 1.6T does 0-60 according to Car & Driver in 6.6 sec, and handles very good in the stock AWD form. It is, the best in class as you know. Far from "just" an economical SUV. (The Kona 2.0 SEL AWD is an economical SUV IE -> Slug) The 1.6T AWD is just outside the "hot hatch" performance classification in stock form. Add simple lowering springs, a piggyback tune, good tires and you are in the the lower "hot hatch" classification. With the turbo and AWD version you would be in the mid/mid top pack hot hatch standings.

We see "non intended" cars in the thousands turn into very capable street and track cars with a couple grand. The Honda Civic's, and VW Golf's, come to mind. The "wish" as you say, is only a "lifted finger" away. You just need to do it and mold the car the way you want it and gain the performance in a well built platform the Kona is with it's chassis stiffness.

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
I guess you can call it what you want.. but I don’t consider this a platform to build upon for a performance car..
I wouldn’t choose an SUV or similar for a sporty platform.. that’s not the making of a good handling platform.
That’s not it’s intended function.. too many engineered bits designed to be an SUV to overcome.. I’d rather work
With something more made for the part with less to overcome..
I’m more than pleased with the stock performance and handling of this car.. Hyundai gave us a great overall
Package that does many things well.. which is why I bought it.. sensible and practical with a high fun quotient..
A good friend of mine and famed aftermarket turbo designer, Corky Bell, owner of CarTech in Dallas some years ago..
And now a consultant for many OEM’s once told me, “If you want a fast car, buy a fast car”. Those are wise words..

The Kona 1.6T does 0-60 according to Car & Driver in 6.6 sec, and handles very good in the stock AWD form. It is, the best in class as you know. Far from "just" an economical SUV. (The Kona 2.0 SEL AWD is an economical SUV IE -> Slug) The 1.6T AWD is just outside the "hot hatch" performance classification in stock form. Add simple lowering springs, a piggyback tune, good tires and you are in the the lower "hot hatch" classification. With the turbo and AWD version you would be in the mid/mid top pack hot hatch standings.

We see "non intended" cars in the thousands turn into very capable street and track cars with a couple grand. The Honda Civic's, and VW Golf's, come to mind. The "wish" as you say, is only a "lifted finger" away. You just need to do it and mold the car the way you want it and gain the performance in a well built platform the Kona is with it's chassis stiffness.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #106 (Edited)
Yes, but "those other fast cars " have there own handicaps that can make them undesirable to very undesirable. As far as the Kona, it is not an SUV technically it is a CUV and put side by side with an Elantra GT Sport or now an Elanta GT N-Line you basically have everything designed the same other then higher seats, higher sheet metal. All the front and rear independent suspension pickup points are the same. And the Elantra GT N-Line is no different then the i30 N other then the motor and harder bushings, springs, intelligent dampeners, and exhaust ect. and better engine management. The main suspension geometry is the same, and Hyundai is ripping up and winning with stock and modified i30's N's monthly. You say it is not a good performace platform......I feel I am close to equal or a hair above with a Golf GTI R AWD in handling. I call that a performance car for the average guy. I am way past a FWD GTI as my car sits now as per a guy at work when we swapped cars for a "sport run".

So getting the old man bushings out of there, lowering springs and other cheap stuff can add a lot of performance for not a whole lot of money. As for me I am building a what looks like a Hyundai Kona N-Line USA model, as Hundai is doing theirs I bet. Not a true N as you know. I still have a couple grand to spend to break even with what would be the price of that Kona N-Line. I feel I am still way ahead . And I am having fun doing it!!!!

Here in the video, they were beating highly modified cars when they first took out the N on the track before they did any modifications.

It is a great platform to start a tuner car with, (minus the ECU tune ...I want a warranty) add AWD and you leap forward another couple of notches because they handle far better then a FWD car setup the same. Just saying... I am fine you are where you are with yours, I think you have a BMW if I remember right and that has to be a money pit from all my research. I had a X3 on my list, but it zero sense because of when they get old BMW's are money pits and I was maxed at $25,000. So a new one was over my pay scale.(wife) I just have to defend modifying the Kona because it really is a great "very strong platform to build on." You obviously have not rid-in my car, and I am still not done. :grin:.

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
I can respect what you're saying and doing with your car.. Many advantages to having a "sleeper" as well..
Yes.. I do have a 335i TT for my other car.. It's a loaded saloon car that goes fast.. A great handling
4-door thats over built and hard to work on.. Not my favorite.. but its nice to see the aluminum suspension pieces, instead of stamped steel, along with other design techniques that make it a good handling ride.
I had 16 years of corvette ownership.. 4 of them including 2 Z06's. C5 and C6. I'm used to RWD
large displacement V8's.. which is why I am tickled with this 1.6T and don't take it as seriously as
some do.. Where you stand, depends on where you sit...
I have a great deal of respect for this little car.. I'm also enjoying it more than I expected...
It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow.. way more practical too !

Yes, but "those other fast cars " have there own handicaps that can make them undesirable to very undesirable. As far as the Kona, it is not an SUV technically it is a CUV and put side by side with an Elantra GT Sport or now an Elanta GT N-Line you basically have everything designed the same other then higher seats, higher sheet metal. All the front and rear independent suspension pickup points are the same. And the Elantra GT N-Line is no different then the i30 N other then the motor and harder bushings, springs, intelligent dampeners, and exhaust ect. and better engine management. The main suspension geometry is the same, and Hyundai is ripping up and winning with stock and modified i30's N's monthly. You say it is not a good performace platform......I feel I am close to equal or a hair above with a Golf GTI R AWD in handling. I call that a performance car for the average guy. I am way past a FWD GTI as my car sits now as per a guy at work when we swapped cars for a "sport run".

So getting the old man bushings out of there, lowering springs and other cheap stuff can add a lot of performance for not a whole lot of money. As for me I am building a what looks like a Hyundai Kona N-Line USA model, as Hundai is doing theirs I bet. Not a true N as you know. I still have a couple grand to spend to break even with what would be the price of that Kona N-Line. I feel I am still way ahead . And I am having fun doing it!!!!

Here in the video, they were beating highly modified cars when they first took out the N on the track before they did any modifications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNy4qD3Qk-U&t=3s

It is a great platform to start a tuner car with, (minus the ECU tune ...I want a warranty) add AWD and you leap forward another couple of notches because they handle far better then a FWD car setup the same. Just saying... I am fine you are where you are with yours, I think you have a BMW if I remember right and that has to be a money pit from all my research. I had a X3 on my list, but it zero sense because of when they get old BMW's are money pits and I was maxed at $25,000. So a new one was over my pay scale.(wife) I just have to defend modifying the Kona because it really is a great "very strong platform to build on." You obviously have not rid-in my car, and I am still not done. :grin:.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #108 (Edited)
I can respect what you're saying and doing with your car.. Many advantages to having a "sleeper" as well..
Yes.. I do have a 335i TT for my other car.. It's a loaded saloon car that goes fast.. A great handling
4-door thats over built and hard to work on.. Not my favorite.. but its nice to see the aluminum suspension pieces, instead of stamped steel, along with other design techniques that make it a good handling ride.
I had 16 years of corvette ownership.. 4 of them including 2 Z06's. C5 and C6. I'm used to RWD
large displacement V8's.. which is why I am tickled with this 1.6T and don't take it as seriously as
some do.. Where you stand, depends on where you sit...
I have a great deal of respect for this little car.. I'm also enjoying it more than I expected...
It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow.. way more practical too !
I never got into larger cars since our car group were mostly foreign with a sleeper GTO that was a stroked sleeper with completely reworked heads $$$ by a high end builder and this guy kept everything looking beat up and oem. and would race for money. He won a lot of money too. He spend a lot of money on the block and never painted it but with a thin coat of black paint so it would rust a bit. They look under the hood and laughed and then they would pony up more money because they thought what a POS.

I drove a gutted 12 point caged VW Scirocco with a detuned Bertils Super-Vee motor with a special crank that I fly cut down and lightend flywheel, duel side draft Weber carbs/ carb for each cylinder, fuel cell and Bilstien Race coil overs and nitrous.

https://germancarsforsaleblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/S2.jpg ( not my car just a pic for the younger viewers)

Bertils 1837cc Super Vee Engine Picture Page

Not much beat me up to 65-70, but after that, cubic took over on their end. That was in the 80's and I was doing 0-60 in the 5 sec range and as them had wheel spin up to 3rd gear. I wonder what I could of done with AWD back then. Back then that car was about 1,700lbs and a death trap, that's why I installed the light cage. Never got into V8's after my Camaro and switch to small cars.

Now a days we have 800hp AWD VW GTI R's and the like. If I did not have a wife to contend with my Kona would have a 400 HP 1.6T already. :plain:I can only take baby steps now a days. Like, how did those Elantra GT Sport seat get in my car honey, I don't know how they got in there????........:angel:........:devil:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I guess you can call it what you want.. but I don’t consider this a platform to build upon for a performance car..
I wouldn’t choose an SUV or similar for a sporty platform.. that’s not the making of a good handling platform.
That’s not it’s intended function.. too many engineered bits designed to be an SUV to overcome.. I’d rather work
With something more made for the part with less to overcome..
I’m more than pleased with the stock performance and handling of this car.. Hyundai gave us a great overall
Package that does many things well.. which is why I bought it.. sensible and practical with a high fun quotient..
A good friend of mine and famed aftermarket turbo designer, Corky Bell, owner of CarTech in Dallas some years ago..
And now a consultant for many OEM’s once told me, “If you want a fast car, buy a fast car”. Those are wise words..

It’s because of your friend Corky, I learned how to properly size a turbo for every day use on an Civic with an Integra engine swap. I was able to squeeze out 350whp on a stock long block. Maximum Boost was a fantastic resource.

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
It’s because of your friend Corky, I learned how to properly size a turbo for every day use on an Civic with an Integra engine swap. I was able to squeeze out 350whp on a stock long block. Maximum Boost was a fantastic resource.
I lived in Dallas for 19 years some time ago.. I bought one of the first IC kits for a Mazda I had back in the late 80’s from Corky..
The kit didn’t fit well and had other issues with clamping.. I drove down to Cartech and Corky saw the issues and remade the parts to fit.. that kicked off a long term friendship in which I learned much about turbos systems.. I then worked with him on weekends trying to get him educated on his computer so he could use a drafting program for custom parts design..
He moved away to San Antonio as he bought a horse farm for his wife... A true animal lover.. Nice people, and he was a great inspiration and source of knowledge for me... A very mild mannered fellow who built some serious bad ass cars the proper way..

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
I get the small car thing.. totally.. Less is more when it comes to cars and performance.. In fact After my corvette fetish was over, I had a SC mini which I took to the limit in mods... then bought an FRS to play with.. LOVED the FRS as it was light and RWD with normal sized tires.. Made me realize that Z06’s are not as much fun in the real world.. Much more fun to wrap out 200HP in every gear then 500 HP for only 2 seconds.. My C6 Z06 would hit 60 mph in 1st gear.. what a thrill that was.. but everything else about it was impractical.. With 45+ cars in as many years of driving and 2 grandkids, I Finally settled down to something more practical and gave modding a rest.. I’m not dead yet and still having fun... but being
More practical.. I plan on buying both grandboys cars when they get older.. One is 4 years away.. the other has 10 years to go.. I’m already looking for them.. Thinking the younger one might get my Kona.. and it will still have some warranty left on it..

I never got into larger cars since our car group were mostly foreign with a sleeper GTO that was a stroked sleeper with completely reworked heads $$$ by a high end builder and this guy kept everything looking beat up and oem. and would race for money. He won a lot of money too. He spend a lot of money on the block and never painted it but with a thin coat of black paint so it would rust a bit. They look under the hood and laughed and then they would pony up more money because they thought what a POS.

I drove a gutted 12 point caged VW Scirocco with a detuned Bertils Super-Vee motor with a special crank that I fly cut down and lightend flywheel, duel side draft Weber carbs/ carb for each cylinder, fuel cell and Bilstien Race coil overs and nitrous.

https://germancarsforsaleblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/S2.jpg ( not my car just a pic for the younger viewers)

Bertils 1837cc Super Vee Engine Picture Page

Not much beat me up to 65-70, but after that, cubic took over on their end. That was in the 80's and I was doing 0-60 in the 5 sec range and as them had wheel spin up to 3rd gear. I wonder what I could of done with AWD back then. Back then that car was about 1,700lbs and a death trap, that's why I installed the light cage. Never got into V8's after my Camaro and switch to small cars.

Now a days we have 800hp AWD VW GTI R's and the like. If I did not have a wife to contend with my Kona would have a 400 HP 1.6T already. :plain:I can only take baby steps now a days. Like, how did those Elantra GT Sport seat get in my car honey, I don't know how they got in there????........:angel:........:devil:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #112 (Edited)
I get the small car thing.. totally.. Less is more when it comes to cars and performance.. In fact After my corvette fetish was over, I had a SC mini which I took to the limit in mods... then bought an FRS to play with.. LOVED the FRS as it was light and RWD with normal sized tires.. Made me realize that Z06’s are not as much fun in the real world.. Much more fun to wrap out 200HP in every gear then 500 HP for only 2 seconds.. My C6 Z06 would hit 60 mph in 1st gear.. what a thrill that was.. but everything else about it was impractical.. With 45+ cars in as many years of driving and 2 grandkids, I Finally settled down to something more practical and gave modding a rest.. I’m not dead yet and still having fun... but being
More practical.. I plan on buying both grandboys cars when they get older.. One is 4 years away.. the other has 10 years to go.. I’m already looking for them.. Thinking the younger one might get my Kona.. and it will still have some warranty left on it..

That's why I am slowly building this one, if a Hyundai Kona N were to come out I don't think I could get one just like that like JRKona did. The money isn't there to flip cars. Plus, my wife is not a car person, and can not see why guys are into their cars so much. "Its just a car, drive it as is" WHAT!!!:surprise:Nope, can't do that.

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
That's why I am slowly building this one, if a Hyundai Kona N were to come out I don't think I could get one just like that like JRKona did. The money isn't there to flip cars. Plus, my wife is not a car person, and can not see why guys are into their cars so much. "Its just a car, drive it as is" WHAT!!!:surprise:Nope, can't do that.

You gotta pay to play, as they say.. Boys and their toys.. I still hear that a lot. Been a car nut ever since I can
Remember.. I still have an itch for another “toy” Will see..
but right now the kona is keeping me happy and impressed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
HI, maybe this was answered before, but what are the recommandations about the kind of fuel to use with the 1.6 l turbo engine. Regular and super occasionally, always regular or always super? What's the best for this engine? Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Opinions will vary depending on who you talk to. Personally, in my Kona I run a 1/2 mix of- Super (94 octane) and Ethanol-free unleaded (91 octane). I'm lucky and have a Chevron close by that sells both at the same pump. Yes, they cost a bit more, but it's like running a mild racing fuel and puts a huge smile on my face.

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
Opinions will vary depending on who you talk to. Personally, in my Kona I run a 1/2 mix of- Super (94 octane) and Ethanol-free unleaded (91 octane). I'm lucky and have a Chevron close by that sells both at the same pump. Yes, they cost a bit more, but it's like running a mild racing fuel and puts a huge smile on my face.
It’s more than an opinion if the designers and techs at Hyundai designed the engine to run on Regular fuel. The ECM according to Hyundai, does NOT take advantage of premium fuel.

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
HI, maybe this was answered before, but what are the recommandations about the kind of fuel to use with the 1.6 l turbo engine. Regular and super occasionally, always regular or always super? What's the best for this engine? Thanks.
The manual states regular is all that’s required. Use a top tier brand to ensure a good additive pkg.
When I inquired about the cars ability to take advantage of premium for more power, I was told by Hyundai regional that only the Genesis and Equus Models are equipped to take advantage of premium fuel. Some articles Online concur with that statement, one is by Autoguide if memory serves.
I use a mix of premium and regular during the summer months when it’s hot here in the south. Since the heat can promote unwanted detonation. But performance wise I haven’t noticed a difference either way so I use regular most of the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just heard back from Hyundai when I asked about the fuel for the 1.6T in case anyone wants a reference from Hyundai direct. Definitely some CYA language in there, but they are saying higher octane is not required.

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America.

We always appreciate the opportunity to hear from our customers. We understand your inquiry for the premium fuel and we would be happy to provide that information.

The only guaranteed result of using premium gasoline in an engine designed for regular-grade fuel is that you will spend more money on gas. As far as any tangible benefits to filling up with pricier gasoline, the chances are slim to none.

If the vehicle manufacturer says your engine needs only 87-octane regular, that is what you should use. If your engine runs fine on regular, filling it with premium is unlikely to boost acceleration or fuel economy by more than insignificant amounts. No matter what you’ve heard, premium-grade gasoline won’t do more to clean deposits from your fuel injectors or other parts of the fuel system because today’s regular gas contains the same detergent additives.

The main difference with premium is its octane rating — 91 or higher compared with 87 for regular octane. The higher octane gives premium gas greater resistance to early fuel ignition, which can result in potential damage, sometimes accompanied by audible engine knocking or pinging.

To ensure that our records are up to date, can you please provide the following information:

• Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), which can be found on your vehicle's insurance card or in the door jamb of your vehicle
  • Your current mileage
  • Your preferred Hyundai Dealership

When contacting us regarding this email, please reference your case number 16251912. We look forward to assisting you further.

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America and being a valued member of our Hyundai Family.

Respectfully,

Hyundai Customer Care
(800) 633-5151
Monday-Friday 5:00 AM - 7:00 PM Pacific Time
Saturday and Sunday 6:30 AM - 3:00 PM Pacific Time

·
Registered
11 Posts
JRKona , what are running for oil and filter?

I will be draining the factory fill the minute I come home. I will be running Mobil 1 Extended 5-30 with 1 Qt being Redline 0w-40 to get more Ester into the mix. I will also change out the OEM filter for a Fram Ultra. Getting rid of the "Swiss Cheese" OEM filter material/filter.

~FYI~ Out Of Love: NEVER use FRAM

·
Super Moderator
525 Posts
I never had any issue with Fram Ultra. I have not seen any documented case of the Fram filter destroying an engine. Honda use them as OEM filter (the ones with cardboard ends). If they are that bad, there should be a lot of complaints from Honda owners.

101 - 120 of 134 Posts