Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
The dealer and the manual ( Canadian) recommend regular -- 87 here.

The European manual said premium???

I was surprised that a turbo is good with regular.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Running 87 in Top Tier, I did try an experiment going with mid grade 89 after 2 tanks mine did not like it even lost a few mpgs and honestly did not feel a difference. My last car only could use 91-93 but was the H6 in the Subaru.
As far as it is just how cars are being tuned to except the 87 even with a Turbo, the ECU can do good job of utilizing it along the knock sensors.
Even the Ecoboost fords and now the new Subaru Ascent 2.4T will run on 87,only high compression engines need the 91-93.

I was still in a little shock reading that this engine ran on 87 and for me it is a big savings coming down from premium.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Ethel for me right now with Prolong oil additive.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ethel for me right now with Prolong oil additive.

JRKona , what are running for oil and filter?

I will be draining the factory fill the minute I come home. I will be running Mobil 1 Extended 5-30 with 1 Qt being Redline 0w-40 to get more Ester into the mix. I will also change out the OEM filter for a Fram Ultra. Getting rid of the "Swiss Cheese" OEM filter material/filter.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Use the Hyundai Filters and ask them for a synthetic upgrade at your next service. Use what they have available, don't go off on your own. It could cost you your warranty. I'll also going to be using a K & N Air Filter until the SYSTEM Upgrade Intake is here and installed.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Use the Hyundai Filters and ask them for a synthetic upgrade at your next service. Use what they have available, don't go off on your own. It could cost you your warranty. I'll also going to be using a K & N Air Filter until the SYSTEM Upgrade Intake is here and installed. The Prolong gives me the edge that is needed. It's a great product and works extremely well. I've run it in all my vehicles for a long time. It does exactly what it says it does and there is an added engine warranty with them if you register and use the product.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Use the Hyundai Filters and ask them for a synthetic upgrade at your next service. Use what they have available, don't go off on your own. It could cost you your warranty. I'll also going to be using a K & N Air Filter until the SYSTEM Upgrade Intake is here and installed.

NOPE, the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act protects you here. My 2013 Elantra had the "Hyundai Tick of Death", and received a new long block. I had a Fram Ultra on and they said to test it they would have to put their filter on and they suggested to use their OEM because they were having tick problems. I said go a head and test but after I am putting a new Ultra on.

I told them 4 years ago Fram went back to the drawing board on ALL their oil filters that relate to Hyundai to increase can thickness and copy the specs of the OEM because Hyundai increased oil pressure on their engines because "they can't build a normal well running motor with out destroying itself" (1.6T is their only good motor besides the "N" motor that Beraman had them fix for his N series) Ha Ha Ha. That is the only reason I re bought a Hyundai, because I have a "chance" with the 1.6 T motor.The motor problem are THEIR design problem and it NOTHING to do with a filter, even though I want the backing of Fram and their R&D on the redesigned filter to back my case as it has at least locally. Plus I have access to oil engineers to back any issues with "oil issues". They would never win in court by putting "far better" oil in then they provide. Plus again, the Magnuseon-Moss Warranty Act lets you put oil that meets specs in with no voiding of your warranty. How could it ....you are putting in better oil then they provide.

I did do some research and Hyundai does add extra Moly to their factory fill that comes from Quaker State. It is just a common cheap Group 3 oil it looks, so I want to get some better oil in there ( sorta Group 4 with the Extended Mobil 1) with the Turbo. Adding the Redline gets some extra Moly in there.

In NO WAY should you be using 5w-20 oil in a turbo motor. Bare minimum is 5-30 ( as speced) and just remember Mobil 1 0w-40 is so light it really is a 0-35 and shears right away to a 0w-30 or less.

The last thing I would ever do is add a K&N air filter. Modern OEM air filter boxes have adequate air flow, and K&N's let WAY too much dirt into the engine that do through the swiss cheese filter media. I would suggest to skip that one, but it's your car.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
K & N does a better job at filtering then the OEM unit. Nuff said. Prolong is not Moly, or teflon, it's a micro lubricant. I see that you unaware of the product. I've used it in all my automobiles, some with over 200K and still running strong.

The Magnuseon-Moss Warranty Act doesn't allow you to do anything for the individual specifically. It simply says; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act . Think you'd better read it again.

Good luck with telling Hyundai you're not meeting or adhering to their warranty requirements. It the motor is damaged and they find out you're not sticking to the requirements of the warranty, you'll have a very hard time in getting the auto repaired under warranty. There has been a quite a few instances where warranty claims have been denied due to these very reason. You'd better do some research.

Everyone has access to Oil Lab testing, they're on the Internet by the hand full. You can get your oil test quite easily but doesn't mean anything to Hyundai and their warranty. You'll find it much easier adhering to their warranty requirements then going it alone. Rather you're right or wrong, is not the issue. If you don't follow their requirements, you run the risk of a warranty claim denial never-the-less.

In truth you don't know if you or they would win or not in court. You can't read the future, let alone acquire the legal backing Hyundai is able to muster and put forth. The burden of proof is solely on you alone, not Hyundai. You're just wishful thinking and that can get you into all sorts of trouble.

I've already checked with Hyundai regarding the K & N and they are fine with it. It's the only actual authorized filter upgrade approved across the majority of manufacturer specifications. You need to do some research on the K & N and it's actual specifications. I can see you haven't.

One of the main reasons people select the Hyundai is; their best in the country warranty and price point. They are a solid built auto with a great reputation for longevity.

Do as you wish but you alone will suffer the consequences of your actions solely.:wink:

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Yes Prolong is an oil additive a micro lubricant. http://prolong.com/ . You can read and decide for yourself.

However lets keep this discussion on track and get back to "What octane gas are running for the 1.6 T engine?" Sorry about the deviation.:wink::grin:

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
No it's ok, I wasn't referring to you but to me. No apology necessary. I just like to keep on topic and not stray very far off. It was me who went off topic.:grin:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
K & N does a better job at filtering then the OEM unit. Nuff said. Prolong is not Moly, or teflon, it's a micro lubricant. I see that you unaware of the product. I've used it in all my automobiles, some with over 200K and still running strong.

The Magnuseon-Moss Warranty Act doesn't allow you to do anything for the individual specifically. It simply says; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act . Think you'd better read it again.

Good luck with telling Hyundai you're not meeting or adhering to their warranty requirements. It the motor is damaged and they find out you're not sticking to the requirements of the warranty, you'll have a very hard time in getting the auto repaired under warranty. There has been a quite a few instances where warranty claims have been denied due to these very reason. You'd better do some research.

Everyone has access to Oil Lab testing, they're on the Internet by the hand full. You can get your oil test quite easily but doesn't mean anything to Hyundai and their warranty. You'll find it much easier adhering to their warranty requirements then going it alone. Rather you're right or wrong, is not the issue. If you don't follow their requirements, you run the risk of a warranty claim denial never-the-less.

In truth you don't know if you or they would win or not in court. You can't read the future, let alone acquire the legal backing Hyundai is able to muster and put forth. The burden of proof is solely on you alone, not Hyundai. You're just wishful thinking and that can get you into all sorts of trouble.

I've already checked with Hyundai regarding the K & N and they are fine with it. It's the only actual authorized filter upgrade approved across the majority of manufacturer specifications. You need to do some research on the K & N and it's actual specifications. I can see you haven't.

One of the main reasons people select the Hyundai is; their best in the country warranty and price point. They are a solid built auto with a great reputation for longevity.

Do as you wish but you alone will suffer the consequences of your actions solely.:wink:

I am aware of the ACT and do oil testing on a regular basis for my work through Polaris Labs and have had some good time talking with R&D oil engineers. In fact the factory fill will have a pull and sent to the lab, a local lab on my stuff. I use the largest CAT dealer in Minneapolis since I don't have to pay shipping and they have a nice lab.

I have done my research and you would not catch me using a K&N oil impregnated air filter to save my sole. I know I ran them for years and always questioned the dirt residue in my Weber intake manifold. Then top off the increase that shows up in the oil analysis. You go right ahead. Now oil filter yes those are up to snuff.

Air Filter Comparison Study - GM Truck Central

Ahhhh Hyundai has been known as they tried to do with me on "renigging" on their warranty. It took me 3 times to get them to fix my 14,000 mile Elantra GT from the "Hyundai Tick of Death". They said that horrible tick was normal , I finally said, "here is the car, don't give it back until you fix it". 4 hours later and the 3rd obfuscation they said I need a new motor.

The tick on my car was from the lifters and I tracked that down by my stethoscope. Not to mention my dealer had 50 plus cars sitting in back because Hyundai doesn't know how to design motors and there is another guy on a forum who Hyundai dealer has 200 cars with bad blocks. The only reason I bought the Kona was by some freak luck the 1.6 T doesn't have an overly high rebuild rate. From increasing oil pressure across their engine line up to bad piston coating, to too thin of big end piston rod and bad piston pin issues I think you failed on your research on the matter.

I had a hobby Audi repair shop and was also a engine builder of street and race motors when I was younger. My street car was a VW Sirocco with a detuned Bertils SuperVEE ( mini Indy car) motor with a custom fly cut stroker crank I made, dual side draft Weber carbs, 12 point roll cage, fuel cell and race coil over Bilstiens Nitrous Oxide. That was my street car.

As far as winning in court, Hyundai has to prove what you did made it fail, they are not going to spend a dime on going to court and go through all the legal hassle and money because I ran better oil then what they put in the car. NOW if you put in engine oil in the DCT then yes they will. You are dead WRONG ,the burden of proof is SOLELY on Hyundai. That is what gives the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act TEETH!!! You again failed on your research.

All this BS forum "Fear Dogma" that has no logic behind it other then fear by, in some cases "ONLY by the manual" fear mongers and in some cases guys that have never picked up a wrench.

Who said anything about Prolong? Nano particle oil additives, yea used them and know about them.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Learn from your mistakes!

Again you may have read it but you're not that familiar with the Act as you believe you are. However I'm not hear to argue the point. You're welcome to believe what you want. You can do anything you desire with your Hyundai, it's solely your choice. However, your fear mongering from past experiences with your Elantra and over what oil to put in your Hyundai is again, your choice. I could care less about your past exploits with hobby mechanics your problems with your Elantra and I dare say, no one else is either and it won't mean a thing when presenting your side to the courts.:wink: I see that you're back at the same watering hole and your personal pride getting in the way of; clear thinking.

When you take a major manufacture to task on a warranty claim, you have to have carry the burden of proof or should I say, your lawyer does. YOU have to file the suit, the federal governemnt isn't going to represent you. The Act only protects the individual, if the individual consumer is in line with the requirements of the warranty which is being denied. It simply sets Federal guidelines & requirements for manufacturers to follow.

I'll bring your attention to one specific part of the Act,
The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance.
Believe me they can if you are outside those guidelines and warranty requirements. It's been done thousands if not tens of thousands of times, since the enactment of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.

Be my guest when and if it happens please, press the test. You won't have a leg to stand on, nor the money or legal power to refute it. Hence, the burden of proof in on you, as I stated before. Definitively, you must show and prove to the court, you have provided the reasonable and necessary maintenance along with reasonable use and not strayed from the manufactures warranty guidelines, not Hyundai. But be assured, they will have their guns load and to bear when the necessary time comes.

So go ahead and keep with the,"wishful and presumptive thinking," I've already told you, YOU can't foresee the future. However, common sense should tell you; "you're barking up the wrong tree!" Go ahead, take the low road and it maybe to your own detriment in the long run. Just as it nearly was in the in the past, with your Elantra and shaped your present thinking. You should have learned something then, instead of being hard headed. It's expedient for most to follow the manufacturer guidelines. When YOU don't everything necessary to adhere, it goes against YOU and YOU only! No one is going to be there to hold your hand and make it all better. Also keeping in mind; there is always three sides to a story; your's theirs and the truth.

I suppose you can at least remember the; The Path of least resistance, or maybe that's wishful thinking on my part. What do you gain by being hard hearted and stubborn? Where does it leave you? There is a time and place for everything but you must be intelligent enough to understand; which battles to fight and which ones to walk away from.. Again "common sense," should ring fairly clear in this scenario. There's an ole saying, "Be banging (one's) head against a brick wall, it feel so good when you stop.."

Do as you wish but keep this in the back of your mind as well, if you dare.:wink:

Keeping with the thought, this is a presumptive discussion only.:grin:

This Air Filter Comparison Study - GM Truck Central is a personal unsubstantiated opinion from a Forum, nuff said! You might want to try again but whatever helps you sleep at night.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
I hope for your sake you keep verifiable meticulous maintenance records, at least from now on and into the future.:grin::wink: " A worthy battle is one to be fought but a worthless battle does not bear fruit."

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
With that being said I have and 8 mile walk to do and back to our regularly scheduled op's thread of; What Octane are you running in your 1.6T

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Again you may have read it but you're not that familiar with the Act as you believe you are. However I'm not hear to argue the point. You're welcome to believe what you want. You can do anything you desire with your Hyundai, it's solely your choice. However, your fear mongering from past experiences with your Elantra and over what oil to put in your Hyundai is again, your choice. I could care less about your past exploits with hobby mechanics your problems with your Elantra and I dare say, no one else is either and it won't mean a thing when presenting your side to the courts.:wink: I see that you're back at the same watering hole and your personal pride getting in the way of; clear thinking.

When you take a major manufacture to task on a warranty claim, you have to have carry the burden of proof or should I say, your lawyer does. YOU have to file the suit, the federal governemnt isn't going to represent you. The Act only protects the individual, if the individual consumer is in line with the requirements of the warranty which is being denied. It simply sets Federal guidelines & requirements for manufacturers to follow.

I'll bring your attention to one specific part of the Act, Believe me they can if you are outside those guidelines and warranty requirements. It's been done thousands if not tens of thousands of times, since the enactment of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.

Be my guest when and if it happens please, press the test. You won't have a leg to stand on, nor the money or legal power to refute it. Hence, the burden of proof in on you, as I stated before. Definitively, you must show and prove to the court, you have provided the reasonable and necessary maintenance along with reasonable use and not strayed from the manufactures warranty guidelines, not Hyundai. But be assured, they will have their guns load and to bear when the necessary time comes.

So go ahead and keep with the,"wishful and presumptive thinking," I've already told you, YOU can't foresee the future. However, common sense should tell you; "you're barking up the wrong tree!" Go ahead, take the low road and it maybe to your own detriment in the long run. Just as it nearly was in the in the past, with your Elantra and shaped your present thinking. You should have learned something then, instead of being hard headed. It's expedient for most to follow the manufacturer guidelines. When YOU don't everything necessary to adhere, it goes against YOU and YOU only! No one is going to be there to hold your hand and make it all better. Also keeping in mind; there is always three sides to a story; your's theirs and the truth.

I suppose you can at least remember the; The Path of least resistance, or maybe that's wishful thinking on my part. What do you gain by being hard hearted and stubborn? Where does it leave you? There is a time and place for everything but you must be intelligent enough to understand; which battles to fight and which ones to walk away from.. Again "common sense," should ring fairly clear in this scenario. There's an ole saying, "Be banging (one's) head against a brick wall, it feel so good when you stop.."

Do as you wish but keep this in the back of your mind as well, if you dare.:wink:

Keeping with the thought, this is a presumptive discussion only.:grin:

This Air Filter Comparison Study - GM Truck Central is a personal unsubstantiated opinion from a Forum, nuff said! You might want to try again but whatever helps you sleep at night.

You tell me where changing my own oil to Mobil 1 5w-30 Extended and 1 Qt of Redline 0w-40 is an infringement on warranty? Seems to me you have been banging your head against a brick wall.:wink:

1 - 20 of 117 Posts