Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Are you having the same problem as post 1-4 of this thread?
If you are read post 6 & 8 for how to adjust.

·
Registered
135 Posts
just got my Kona 2 days ago. This morning when I closed the liftgate it told me it wasn't closed all the way. Problem was I couldn't re-open the liftgate to re-close it. Hit all the proper buttons and tried to man handle it open but it just wouldn't open. Ended up driving the the gym hoping to give a another try in the lighted underground parking. Very annoying warning beeps as I drove. For some reason when I got to the gym the hatch open with no problems. The I got the same issue when I got to work and took my briefcase out of the trunk. Close the hatch and it didn't lock all the way...couldn't get the **** thing open again to fix it. Anyone else have this issue? Bringing it back to the dealer tomorrow to have them look at it.

thanks.
I get this once in a while
Essentially it's half latched and the outside button is unable to unlatch
What you need to do is push close while pushing the button, this should give it some more "grip" to allow the button to work.
Ensure you hit the unlock button a few times while doing this.

Let me know if this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I get this once in a while
Essentially it's half latched and the outside button is unable to unlatch
What you need to do is push close while pushing the button, this should give it some more "grip" to allow the button to work.
Ensure you hit the unlock button a few times while doing this.

Let me know if this helps.

thanks, I'll give this a try

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are you having the same problem as post 1-4 of this thread?
If you are read post 6 & 8 for how to adjust.
think it's a different problem. Hatch closes but not fully and am unable to open it in order to try and close it again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
on a related but slight different topic....anyone ever look into installing a power liftgate in a Kona? Had one on my previous car and really found it useful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
just got my Kona 2 days ago. This morning when I closed the liftgate it told me it wasn't closed all the way. Problem was I couldn't re-open the liftgate to re-close it. Hit all the proper buttons and tried to man handle it open but it just wouldn't open. Ended up driving the the gym hoping to give a another try in the lighted underground parking. Very annoying warning beeps as I drove. For some reason when I got to the gym the hatch open with no problems. The I got the same issue when I got to work and took my briefcase out of the trunk. Close the hatch and it didn't lock all the way...couldn't get the **** thing open again to fix it. Anyone else have this issue? Bringing it back to the dealer tomorrow to have them look at it.

thanks.
Phobos - I experienced the same thing, but found if you cycle the lock/unlock, you can then lift the hatch and shut it again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Phobos - I experienced the same thing, but found if you cycle the lock/unlock, you can then lift the hatch and shut it again.
If you mean click the lock/unlock many times I’ve done that.

managed to get the hatch open after I was finished work. Fought with the hatch for a bit before giving up. After I opened and closed the passenger door I tried the hatch and it opened easy. No idea why.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is an adjustment (2 x torx bolts) on the floor of the trunk, the "half-ring" where the hatchlid connects. Dealer adjusted it on 1st service when I complained about difficulty shutting.

·
Registered
151 Posts
was this a one time event or an ongoing issue? So far it's happened to me twice in one day. Not something I look forward to having to deal with on a regular basis.
Ongoing. We had to learn to close the trunk firmly or it would happen again. But after the first few times we learned when trunk hasn’t closed properly. Still happens occasionally. I like the firmness of the closing, but if it bothers you I understand you can wind back the rubber bumpers on the trunk so it closes more easily.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ongoing. We had to learn to close the trunk firmly or it would happen again. But after the first few times we learned when trunk hasn’t closed properly. Still happens occasionally. I like the firmness of the closing, but if it bothers you I understand you can wind back the rubber bumpers on the trunk so it closes more easily.
Having read through this it may need to unlock twice. There’s an anti-carjacking feature on Aus model (& presume on others) that only unlocks drivers door on one click, but opens all doors on second click. I think I activated it accidentally.

·
Registered
135 Posts
on a related but slight different topic....anyone ever look into installing a power liftgate in a Kona? Had one on my previous car and really found it useful.
I looked into this. It took me about 6 hours and $600USD on my parent's CR-V. Not sure how much more complicated the Kona would be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I looked into this. It took me about 6 hours and $600USD on my parent's CR-V. Not sure how much more complicated the Kona would be.
where did you purchase the liftgate kit?

never mind...didn’t see the brochure you posted above. How do you like the lift kit? Was it difficult to install? Do you have experience with stuff like that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update on my hatch not closing issue. Going to see the dealer on Friday but I found that if I open and close the rear passenger door it resets the hatch and I can push the button and get it opened. At least I can get into the hatch now. So far it’s locked up on me 5 times now.

·
Registered
135 Posts
How do you like the lift kit? Was it difficult to install? Do you have experience with stuff like that?
For the CR-V, was not worth the time and money. Should've just paid the money to go up a trim.
For the Kona I haven't done yet, but I would probably also do soundproofing as well if I were to tear out so many trim pieces. Still debating if I need this $800 add on. (CAD)

I do have experience with wiring / soldering etc so the work itself was not hard. The instructions are a bit hard to follow.
Also should've bought extra plastic clips as I broke some and now there's trim pieces that are not tight.
Plus I don't have any handy friends so doing the work by myself made it ever so slightly more difficult.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Update on my hatch not closing issue. Going to see the dealer on Friday but I found that if I open and close the rear passenger door it resets the hatch and I can push the button and get it opened. At least I can get into the hatch now. So far it’s locked up on me 5 times now.
Your hatch needs adjustment by the dealer. They can adjust the striker, and/or the bump stops to ensure this doesn't happen. This is not a defect, it's an adjustment that your specific Kona needs.

Ours has worked perfectly for almost a year now, with no issues or adjustments needed by anyone, which proves it can be adjusted properly.

·
Super Moderator
914 Posts
If you mean click the lock/unlock many times I’ve done that.

managed to get the hatch open after I was finished work. Fought with the hatch for a bit before giving up. After I opened and closed the passenger door I tried the hatch and it opened easy. No idea why.
Use the FOB to unlock hatch, lights will blink or unlock all the doors for the rear button on hatch to work..
its weird that the fob in pocket doesnt automatically Always let the rear be unlocked.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts