Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just installed LED headlights using the same adapter as shown earlier. I went with the TECHMAX mini H11. The ring unscrews from the bulb and you then slide the adapter over the bulb, then screw the ring back on. They fit snugly into the headlight housing and the dust cap screws on with them installed. The best thing about these bulbs is the notch on the emitter that keeps the light focused downward so not to blind oncoming traffic. I previously installed them on my 2018 F150 a year ago and they're still going strong. Great light pattern.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went with these ....
How did you like this brand? I'm thinking of grabbing some LED for my girlfriend's Ranger and these are what seems to pop up the most.

Sorry, wrong link. Those were for my F150. Here is the link to the Kona
Thank you. I got some retainers off Amazon that appear to be exactly the same, and I bought some LED lights and ballasts at Canadian Tire. If they don't work, I'll try those techmax ones next. I don't know if I will need the ballasts though, I changed one of the LED bulbs and held it in the housing to see the cut off lines and I didn't get a bulb out error. But once I change both the low beams, we will see if such a drastic change in the current triggers it. I might do the HighBeam bulbs with the exact same bulbs too of they turn out well.

I tried to link them, but my phone is glitching every time I hit paste in this text box or the url link menu. I'll let you guys know how they go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How did you like this brand? I'm thinking of grabbing some LED for my girlfriend's Ranger and these are what seems to pop up the most.

Thank you. I got some retainers off Amazon that appear to be exactly the same, and I bought some LED lights and ballasts at Canadian Tire. If they don't work, I'll try those techmax ones next. I don't know if I will need the ballasts though, I changed one of the LED bulbs and held it in the housing to see the cut off lines and I didn't get a bulb out error. But once I change both the low beams, we will see if such a drastic change in the current triggers it. I might do the HighBeam bulbs with the exact same bulbs too of they turn out well.

I tried to link them, but my phone is glitching every time I hit paste in this text box or the url link menu. I'll let you guys know how they go.
I have changed my low beam lights. Finally. The adaptors work but I had to carefully clean some flashing on the edges first so they would sit against the bulb's flange properly. After a bunch of screwing around trying to get the pieces lined up, it worked. The retaining ring, and your wiring harness, only goes in one way, but none of the tabs are a different size to help you index it and the spacing between the tabs is slightly different so it's hard to see. Then you also have to make sure that the cobs face the right direction to avoid glaring and blinding others, for me having the two cob design on my bulbs, they both had to be parallel to the ground.

We will have to see how they do after work tonight. But it looks like the highbeam bulbs will be impossible to change with out removing something. Either the washer reservoir or the bumper, common census is the bumper has to come off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Ultimate came with LED headlights, but the fog lights and turning lights we're halogen and next to worthless. $100 fixed both, not sure why Hyundai didn't finish off the details.
Hey, could give a little more info. on what you did for the fog light/turning light conversion to LED? I have an Ultimate and want to do the same. Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey, could give a little more info. on what you did for the fog light/turning light conversion to LED? I have an Ultimate and want to do the same. Thanks.
Sure! Check out my Garage, I posted links to everything I purchased.
My Garage\Showcase

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am new owner Kona 2020 Prefered AWD and with 3 last car, i have changed the light by HID or LED ?

I want to change low light. Do i need a Canbus or not ? I think bought LED 20000lm and the seller is not sure that i need a Canbus.

Sorry my english is poor ? i have read most post on this forum and search whitout issue.

Thanks you all

·
Registered
238 Posts
I am new owner Kona 2020 Prefered AWD and with 3 last car, i have changed the light by HID or LED ?

I want to change low light. Do i need a Canbus or not ? I think bought LED 20000lm and the seller is not sure that i need a Canbus.

Sorry my english is poor ? i have read most post on this forum and search whitout issue.

Thanks you all
Yes! get CANBUS. Same for the fog lights.

Reactions: DannyG

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ordered LED headlights lights at amazon. It just won't snug in. Do i need adaptors for it or anything that will make it fit? Getting tired of the regular bulbs...hard to see at night !

·
Registered
1 Posts
You need these adapters ..... To install LED bulbs ?
These didn't work with my H7 bulbs as the distance from the adapter base to its top is fractionally too big and this prevents the H7 bulb from licking in place into the original retainer which comes with the bulb.

·
Registered
37 Posts
These didn't work with my H7 bulbs as the distance from the adapter base to its top is fractionally too big and this prevents the H7 bulb from licking in place into the original retainer which comes with the bulb.
See my posts on the LASFIT brand & the ALIEXPRESS brand.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ordered LED headlights lights at amazon. It just won't snug in. Do i need adaptors for it or anything that will make it fit? Getting tired of the regular bulbs...hard to see at night !
See my original post on the LASFIT brand & the ALIEXPRESS brand.

Or contact LASFIT directly. www.lasfit.com

Ask them about their bulbs for the Hyundai Kona. H7 for High & Low Beam. H8 for fogs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, for the benefit of my fellow Kona drivers in Oz and anywhere else, here is how I updated the low beam headlights to LED. Note that both Low and High beam use the same H7 globe so the same process should work for high beam. I have only done low beam as I don't travel out of town very much.

1. If you are in Australia first open a Shopmate account with Australia Post. There is no charge to open this account and it will enable you to order anything you want online from USA even if the seller doesn't offer International shipping. https://shopmate.auspost.com.au/

2. Go to Amazon.com and order the Lasfit Pro-HK6 custom fit LED globes (see attached images) - these LEDs include a custom collar that fits perfectly into the Kona headlight housing. They are also Canbus compatible, so will not false trigger electrical warnings. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081BTBY1W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. When your lights arrive follow the instructions to install.
Tips :
  • Before starting, point your existing headlights at a wall and note the beam pattern. Put two pieces of masking tape on the wall to mark where the cut-off point is. This should look identical on the new LED bulbs once they are installed
  • On the Kona there is a small access panel on each front wheel arch that provides easy (relative) access to the back of each light housing. Locate these and just pop out the plastic retainer at the top of each panel, squeeze the LH and RH clips to release and the panel drops down to reveal the dust covers for each light.
  • The dust covers are removed by rotating 1/4 turn counter-clockwise
  • The factory bulbs are removed by rotating counter clockwise
  • The Lasfit globe can spin inside its collar to allow for beam adjustment. It can rotate almost 360 degrees but stops at one "index" position. You will need to turn it clockwise until it stops spinning and then you will be able to lock the collar into position in the headlamp housing. Note that one of the locator tabs is wider than the other two so make sure you align this with the correct slot in the housing. Once locked in place you can connect the power wire spade connectors into the original fitting.
  • The bulbs must be connected in the right polarity. If you look carefully you will see + and - marked on the plug. The positive wire on the Kona wiring harness has a stripe on it. Test that the light illuminates by turn turning on the headlights before proceeding. If it doesn't light up then reverse the plug.
  • While the lights are turned on, point the car at the wall you marked with masking tape and spin each bulb in its housing until you get the right pattern on the wall. For correct beam pattern I found that the LED chips should be vertical, with the power lead at the bottom of the housing. You shouldn't need to adjust the beam height but if you do there are two Philips screw on top of each housing to do this.
4. You should now have beautiful white light coming from both headlamps. But there is one problem.... you won't be able to replace the dust covers as there is not enough space to fit both the old lamp holder and the new LED plug under the dust cover. You have a choice. Either don't replace the dust covers (not recommended, especially if you drive on unsealed roads) or visit your nearest friendly auto electrician. My electrician cut off the old lamp holder and replaced with two female spade connectors. Then the dust covers fit on easily. So that I could always go back to the old halogen lamps, he also fitted two male spade connectors to the removed lamp holders. To reverse the upgrade I simply remove the LED bulbs and plug the old holder and lamp into the female connectors. My electrician charged me $30 to do this work, which I consider to be very reasonable !

I hope this information is of use to other Kona owners, who wish to upgrade to LED. I must say the difference is well worth the cost !

Happy Kona-ing !
Mark.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok, for the benefit of my fellow Kona drivers in Oz and anywhere else, here is how I updated the low beam headlights to LED. Note that both Low and High beam use the same H7 globe so the same process should work for high beam. I have only done low beam as I don't travel out of town very much.

1. If you are in Australia first open a Shopmate account with Australia Post. There is no charge to open this account and it will enable you to order anything you want online from USA even if the seller doesn't offer International shipping. ShopMate

2. Go to Amazon.com and order the Lasfit Pro-HK6 custom fit LED globes (see attached images) - these LEDs include a custom collar that fits perfectly into the Kona headlight housing. They are also Canbus compatible, so will not false trigger electrical warnings. Amazon.com: LASFIT Custom H7 LED Headlight Bulbs for 2014-2020 Kia Sorento 2018-2020 Hyundai Kona Optima Sorento Hyundai Veloster Plug and Play(2pcs): Automotive

3. When your lights arrive follow the instructions to install.
Tips :
  • Before starting, point your existing headlights at a wall and note the beam pattern. Put two pieces of masking tape on the wall to mark where the cut-off point is. This should look identical on the new LED bulbs once they are installed
  • On the Kona there is a small access panel on each front wheel arch that provides easy (relative) access to the back of each light housing. Locate these and just pop out the plastic retainer at the top of each panel, squeeze the LH and RH clips to release and the panel drops down to reveal the dust covers for each light.
  • The dust covers are removed by rotating 1/4 turn counter-clockwise
  • The factory bulbs are removed by rotating counter clockwise
  • The Lasfit globe can spin inside its collar to allow for beam adjustment. It can rotate almost 360 degrees but stops at one "index" position. You will need to turn it clockwise until it stops spinning and then you will be able to lock the collar into position in the headlamp housing. Note that one of the locator tabs is wider than the other two so make sure you align this with the correct slot in the housing. Once locked in place you can connect the power wire spade connectors into the original fitting.
  • The bulbs must be connected in the right polarity. If you look carefully you will see + and - marked on the plug. The positive wire on the Kona wiring harness has a stripe on it. Test that the light illuminates by turn turning on the headlights before proceeding. If it doesn't light up then reverse the plug.
  • While the lights are turned on, point the car at the wall you marked with masking tape and spin each bulb in its housing until you get the right pattern on the wall. For correct beam pattern I found that the LED chips should be vertical, with the power lead at the bottom of the housing. You shouldn't need to adjust the beam height but if you do there are two Philips screw on top of each housing to do this.
4. You should now have beautiful white light coming from both headlamps. But there is one problem.... you won't be able to replace the dust covers as there is not enough space to fit both the old lamp holder and the new LED plug under the dust cover. You have a choice. Either don't replace the dust covers (not recommended, especially if you drive on unsealed roads) or visit your nearest friendly auto electrician. My electrician cut off the old lamp holder and replaced with two female spade connectors. Then the dust covers fit on easily. So that I could always go back to the old halogen lamps, he also fitted two male spade connectors to the removed lamp holders. To reverse the upgrade I simply remove the LED bulbs and plug the old holder and lamp into the female connectors. My electrician charged me $30 to do this work, which I consider to be very reasonable !

I hope this information is of use to other Kona owners, who wish to upgrade to LED. I must say the difference is well worth the cost !

Happy Kona-ing !
Mark.

View attachment 3640 View attachment 3641
Hey, I just bought these led headlights for my Kona. Were you able to fit the dust covers back on? For some reason I can't fit everything back on

21 - 40 of 56 Posts