Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2019 SEL Hyundai Kona. I want to trade out the halogen headlight bulbs for LED bulbs. I purchased some LED bulbs, but never could find the correct base adapter to put the bulbs in, so I sent those back. I had 2 different professional installers to look at them and said they would not work.
I was looking on Ebay today and found these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-H7-LED-Bulbs-Bi-Xenon-Hi-Lo-110W-22000LM-Car-Headlight-Conversion-Lamp/233071861525?hash=item36442a5f15:g:aiwAAOSwe9VcJeZ3
Just wondering if anyone has tried these or know anything about them. I want to make sure they are good and will work before purchasing. Any replies are appreciated. Thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
The bulbs would not lock in place, even with the base adapter. Here are the bulbs and base adapters that I purchased:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/H11-H8-H9-LED-Hi-lo-Beam-Headlight-CREE-Bulbs-Conversion-Kits-Canbus-1Set-6000K/152777195933?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

CCCChttps://www.amazon.com/GZXY-LED-Headlight-KIA-SportageR/dp/B01J5SCQ1I/ref=bmx_2/130-0335305-8216649?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01J5SCQ1I&pd_rd_r=8799671f-4794-11e9-9fed-6f308a1afb98&pd_rd_w=Jfjpd&pd_rd_wg=2ZZCB&pf_rd_p=33750cd9-1585-4897-b3e3-d6ba72a2aa24&pf_rd_r=J9EAZQYSEZ7F88BNKRCR&psc=1&refRID=J9EAZQYSEZ7F88BNKRCR

I have already returned everything, so that is why I am asking about these bulbs: https://www.ebay.com/itm/233071861525

Registered
To make the LEDs work properly, as opposed to just work, you should swap the whole light unit out for a Kona LED lamp. I once watched an automotive lighting manufacturer test a prototype halogen headlight against US and SAE standards. The people who design headlights run complicated computer models to determine the lamp characteristics within the overall envelope provided by the vehicle manufacturer. You would not believe the care taken in this test to ensure that the light source, which includes the glass and the tungsten filament inside the bulb, was correctly positioned inside the lamp. The optics of the lamp are designed specifically to match the radiance pattern coming from the particular bulb it was designed for, an H7 for the Kona that comes with halogen headlights. That exact position of the bulb and its illuminated portion determine whether the beam pattern will come out the way the manufacturer meant it to, or whether, for example, it will dazzle oncoming drivers.

I know this will not be a popular view here and that 'everybody swaps the bulbs'. I'm just saying that's wrong.

Super Moderator
Totally agree... Just because another bulb type might fit in the OEM housing... doesn鈥檛 make it work better..

To make the LEDs work properly, as opposed to just work, you should swap the whole light unit out for a Kona LED lamp. I once watched an automotive lighting manufacturer test a prototype halogen headlight against US and SAE standards. The people who design headlights run complicated computer models to determine the lamp characteristics within the overall envelope provided by the vehicle manufacturer. You would not believe the care taken in this test to ensure that the light source, which includes the glass and the tungsten filament inside the bulb, was correctly positioned inside the lamp. The optics of the lamp are designed specifically to match the radiance pattern coming from the particular bulb it was designed for, an H7 for the Kona that comes with halogen headlights. That exact position of the bulb and its illuminated portion determine whether the beam pattern will come out the way the manufacturer meant it to, or whether, for example, it will dazzle oncoming drivers.

I know this will not be a popular view here and that 'everybody swaps the bulbs'. I'm just saying that's wrong.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I want to swap the headlights out because they were rated as poor. The Kona's base halogen headlights earn a poor rating due to inadequate visibility. The SEL models have the halogen headlights and that is why I am changing the bulbs. I did not like leather seats, that is why I did not want a Ultimate or Limited.

Registered
I want to swap the headlights out because they were rated as poor. The Kona's base halogen headlights earn a poor rating due to inadequate visibility. The SEL models have the halogen headlights and that is why I am changing the bulbs. I did not like leather seats, that is why I did not want a Ultimate or Limited.
My Ultimate came with LED headlights, but the fog lights and turning lights we're halogen and next to worthless. $100 fixed both, not sure why Hyundai didn't finish off the details.

Registered

Registered
Hi, I purchased those and 2 professional installers said that would not work. Thanks
I actually just installed LEDs with this exact adapter and it worked. I put the adapter on the LED first, then slid the base / "light holder" over top. At first, I tried locking them in by pressing down the top and screwing. When it didn't work, I held the bottom (adapter piece) instead, then screwed, and it locked right in. From there i just installed the assembly in the projector housing and it fits nice and snug.

Registered
Hey I know this thread is a few months old now, but I wanted to clarify something while I'm trying to upgrade my lights. Are you guys using the H7 bulbs in your fog lights and H8 bulbs in your headlights?

Right now I'm just doing my low beam lights until I can get the money together to do the high beam and fog lights so I can get rid of the ugly yellow color and get good lights. My high and low beams are H7 and my fog lights are H8, which appears to be the opposite to what you guys have. My car is the 2019 Preferred trim, so second from the bottom in Canada. I just want to know if the adaptors would work the same if they are indeed positioned backwards to the American counterparts.

I already got the H7 bulbs and the wiring harnesses because I forgot that they didn't install the same as a normal bulb would have. It also looks like I won't need the wiring harnesses as I powered the bulbs up and there was no bulb out light or strobe lighting effect. Annoying else have input on the harnesses?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts