Hyundai Kona Forum banner
101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
the easiest way the at least get a preliminary look at the piston walls to see if there is any galling Is to remove the spark plugs and insert a flexible camera /Light to view the area.
I have seen this done. You can get a very good idea of piston ring issues this way. And, it would only take an hour or so for a four cylinder engine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
A Compression Tester will show the PSI of Each Cylinder

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all. Opened my e-mail this morning. Saw an E-mail from US NHTSA. Concerning a Recall about Piston Rings in the 19-21 Kona. And a few other models.

Your vehicle MAY be involved in a safety recall and MAY create a safety risk for you or your passengers. If left unrepaired, a potential safety defect could lead to injury or even death. Safety defects must be repaired by a dealer at no cost to you.
Why am I getting this email?
You are receiving this message because you requested to be notified by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) if there is a safety recall that may affect your vehicle.
The following may apply to one or more of your vehicles if your vehicle is listed below. Click on the NHTSA Recall ID Number below to read more about the safety issue and the reason for the recall.
To find out if your specific passenger vehicle is included in the recall, use our VIN Look-up Tool.
NHTSA Recall ID Number :​
21V301
Manufacturer :​
Hyundai Motor America
Subject :​
Improperly Heat-Treated Piston Oil Rings
Make​
Model​
Model Years​
HYUNDAI​
ELANTRA​
2019-2020​
HYUNDAI​
KONA​
2019-2021​
HYUNDAI​
VELOSTER​
2019-2021​
What is a recall?
When a manufacturer or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) determines that a vehicle creates an unreasonable risk to safety or fails to meet minimum safety standards, the manufacturer is required to fix that vehicle at no cost to the owner. That can be done by repairing it, replacing it, offering a refund (for equipment) or, in rare cases, repurchasing the car.
What should I do if my vehicle is included in this recall?
If your vehicle is included in this recall, it is very important that you get it fixed as soon as possible given the potential danger to you and your passengers if it is not addressed. You should receive a separate letter in the mail from the vehicle manufacturer, notifying you of the recall and explaining when the remedy will be available, whom to contact to repair your vehicle, and to remind you that the repair will be done at no charge to you. If you believe your vehicle is included in the recall, but you do not receive a letter in the mail from the vehicle manufacturer, please call NHTSA's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236, or contact your vehicle manufacturer or dealership.
Thank you for your attention to this important safety matter and for your commitment to helping save lives on America's roadways.
Received the recall notice from Hyundai about the failing piston oil rings on my 2019 Kona. Took it to the dealer about the issue, couple hours later we were informed that the cylinder #3 failed the compression test and they might have to change the engine depending on the approval of Hyundai factory/manufacturer . And the dealer gave us a loaner car and told us to wait for the decision. Today, after 3 days of waiting, we called the Service advisor at Hyundai to get un update. Now he said the cylinder passed the test, and we have to wait for the next course of action from the factory. I really didn't know whether he was BS the second test or what. If there is a real problem of the the piston rings, why don't they just change the engine? Does anybody think Hyundai just want to cover up the problem and do nothing about it. Does anyone know the symptoms of failing cylinder and what should we watch out for. It is sucked to buy a new car and now we have to worry about it may break any time. Please let me know if there is a class action against Hyundai already started. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Limp Mode? First I heard of that. Mine was the First done by the Dealership.
Yes, apparently they limit the engine RPMs if excessive knocking is detected (I guess to prevent throwing a rod). You are the only person I know who has gotten the ECU update for their Kona and I've checked other Kona Facebook pages. Other dealers seem to indicate it isn't yet available. I'm going to hold out and see if I can also get both done the same day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Received the recall notice from Hyundai about the failing piston oil rings on my 2019 Kona. Took it to the dealer about the issue, couple hours later we were informed that the cylinder #3 failed the compression test and they might have to change the engine depending on the approval of Hyundai factory/manufacturer . And the dealer gave us a loaner car and told us to wait for the decision. Today, after 3 days of waiting, we called the Service advisor at Hyundai to get un update. Now he said the cylinder passed the test, and we have to wait for the next course of action from the factory. I really didn't know whether he was BS the second test or what. If there is a real problem of the the piston rings, why don't they just change the engine? Does anybody think Hyundai just want to cover up the problem and do nothing about it. Does anyone know the symptoms of failing cylinder and what should we watch out for. It is sucked to buy a new car and now we have to worry about it may break any time. Please let me know if there is a class action against Hyundai already started. Thanks!
Other owners that have had 2.0 engine issues related to the bad rings have reported engine noise (like a diesel), have experienced stalling and/or have had high oil consumption (> 1 qt per thousand miles). Mine seems good so far and is pretty quiet - but I only have 3K miles on it. Hyundai is still maintaining the issue affects <1% of the vehicles in the recall but I have no idea how they determined that (I have emailed the question twice but go no answer on that). I have been keeping up on various sites and pages but have seen no indication of a class action yet. I wonder why they did the compression test in the first place? I didn't think that was part of the engine noise check procedure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Other owners that have had 2.0 engine issues related to the bad rings have reported engine noise (like a diesel), have experienced stalling and/or have had high oil consumption (> 1 qt per thousand miles). Mine seems good so far and is pretty quiet - but I only have 3K miles on it. Hyundai is still maintaining the issue affects <1% of the vehicles in the recall but I have no idea how they determined that (I have emailed the question twice but go no answer on that). I have been keeping up on various sites and pages but have seen no indication of a class action yet. I wonder why they did the compression test in the first place? I didn't think that was part of the engine noise check procedure.
Thanks for the information about the oil consumption rate. Good to know.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Michael here in Australia I to have received recall notice about piston rings 2019 kona went to dealer tells me they are waiting for parts to arrive here down under as there are no supplies at the moment just keep on on any noises /warning light they will contact & check engine might have a replacement motor just waiting

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2022 Hyundai Kona three weeks ago and around the 2,000 mile mark (yes, I drive a lot of miles) I have developed a ticking noise on top of the engine. Makes the car sound like a diesel engine. I wasn't sure if it was the fuel injectors banging away. I never noticed the noise until last night and found this forum this morning.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought a 2022 Hyundai Kona three weeks ago and around the 2,000 mile mark (yes, I drive a lot of miles) I have developed a ticking noise on top of the engine. Makes the car sound like a diesel engine. I wasn't sure if it was the fuel injectors banging away. I never noticed the noise until last night and found this forum this morning.
Have you checked your oil level?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Took ours in for an oil change, they did the check. Said all is good and that was it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2021 Kona. Last week it stalled out completely with no warning and made loud banging sounds. Towed it to the dealership and just found out that a piston went thru the engine block. Is this consistent with potential damage from the heat ring recall? Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been following others reports on what owners experienced with their failures due to the ring issue. Most don't get to the point of having a rod or piston actually go through the block. But that certainly is a possibility and thus the main reason for the recall as it could lead to a fire if the oil exits. Glad you are OK and didn't have an accident as a result. I think this would be clearly covered under warranty. Hopefully they can help get this resolved quickly for you.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona SEL, FWD, color Chalk White
7 Posts
Took ours in for an oil change, they did the check. Said all is good and that was it.
We did the same and got the same from the dealer. I dont know if this is an opened type of thing such that if you have problems down the road if they will cover it. Before they did the inspection our vehicle was list in the engine recall database. Now after the inspection it is no longer listed.

Check yours here: ENGINE RECALL - Hyundai Sonata and Santa Fe Sport Engine Recall Information

Not sure I understand that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We did the same and got the same from the dealer. I dont know if this is an opened type of thing such that if you have problems down the road if they will cover it. Before they did the inspection our vehicle was list in the engine recall database. Now after the inspection it is no longer listed.

Check yours here: ENGINE RECALL - Hyundai Sonata and Santa Fe Sport Engine Recall Information

Not sure I understand that.
Yes, it should still be covered under the 10 year powertrain warranty if it were to fail later. I assume they also updated the software to detect an issue if it were to happen later.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona SEL, FWD, color Chalk White
7 Posts
Yes, it should still be covered under the 10 year powertrain warranty if it were to fail later. I assume they also updated the software to detect an issue if it were to happen later.
I'll have to ask them about the software update.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I’ve got 47,xxx miles on my 2019 2.0 and had service performed yesterday they did a “software update” included with everything else I had done for maintenance. I do notice the car idles totally silent. It idled just fine before but on my way home at a stop light I couldn’t tell the engine was running. The software definitely improves smoother idling. I never had any knock, tick, or rough idle but then again I use 5/30 synthetic not 0/20:giggle:

The car checked out fine re recall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Huh? My dealer only did the Inspection and Programming.
I have a 2019 kina and that's all they did too. I told the dealership the car stalls when driving, coming to a stop, slowing down. Also high oil consumption, something rattling in engine, smell of oil when car is hot while driving. Loss of power and the engine light is always on.

Nope, spent about 25 minutes and they were done, said they did the engine diagnostic. I would have to come back the next day to have another diagnostic done and I would need to pay 89$ for it. They couldn't do anything about the stalling and they were closing so they couldn't give me a loaner if the car was in the shop cause the car passed the test. I am alao reading jow people also had the text down and the download, car still stalling and having same issues. I called hyundai and filed a complaint due to this.

Thye didn't care that the car stalled while driving but berated me for not being there sooner? Like wtf??

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 kina and that's all they did too. I told the dealership the car stalls when driving, coming to a stop, slowing down. Also high oil consumption, something rattling in engine, smell of oil when car is hot while driving. Loss of power and the engine light is always on.

Nope, spent about 25 minutes and they were done, said they did the engine diagnostic. I would have to come back the next day to have another diagnostic done and I would need to pay 89$ for it. They couldn't do anything about the stalling and they were closing so they couldn't give me a loaner if the car was in the shop cause the car passed the test. I am alao reading jow people also had the text down and the download, car still stalling and having same issues. I called hyundai and filed a complaint due to this.

Thye didn't care that the car stalled while driving but berated me for not being there sooner? Like wtf??
Oh, its more quiet definitely and it makes it harder when it starta to stall out again. If it wasn't for the battery light and oil light coming on along with no power is the only way now I know its about to stall.

Wtf Hyundai?? Don't care about your customers safety?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone had any luck getting Hyundai to cover a blown motor after 60k miles (second owner). It is a 2019 Kona 2.0 AWD.

I have 63k miles and threw a rod through the block last week. My VIN is part of the recall but the dealership is saying that was not the cause. Yet they can't tell me what caused the motor to blow. They said there was oil on the dipstick but have no idea what caused it to fail. When I asked he said you would of needed a camera rolling when it happened. They want $7000 to replace the motor and intake (metal shavings). I have contacted Hyundai customer care and created a case number with them. The dealership is no help and I am afraid corporate is going to leave me hanging since I am over 60k for warranty.

I have never had this happen to a car I own let alone something this new. I am absolutely screwed if I can't get this under warranty or recall. Any help or advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

101 - 120 of 122 Posts