Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Opened my e-mail this morning. Saw an E-mail from US NHTSA. Concerning a Recall about Piston Rings in the 19-21 Kona. And a few other models.

Your vehicle MAY be involved in a safety recall and MAY create a safety risk for you or your passengers. If left unrepaired, a potential safety defect could lead to injury or even death. Safety defects must be repaired by a dealer at no cost to you.
Why am I getting this email?
You are receiving this message because you requested to be notified by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) if there is a safety recall that may affect your vehicle.
The following may apply to one or more of your vehicles if your vehicle is listed below. Click on the NHTSA Recall ID Number below to read more about the safety issue and the reason for the recall.
To find out if your specific passenger vehicle is included in the recall, use our VIN Look-up Tool.
NHTSA Recall ID Number :​
21V301
Manufacturer :​
Hyundai Motor America
Subject :​
Improperly Heat-Treated Piston Oil Rings
Make​
Model​
Model Years​
HYUNDAI​
ELANTRA​
2019-2020​
HYUNDAI​
KONA​
2019-2021​
HYUNDAI​
VELOSTER​
2019-2021​
What is a recall?
When a manufacturer or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) determines that a vehicle creates an unreasonable risk to safety or fails to meet minimum safety standards, the manufacturer is required to fix that vehicle at no cost to the owner. That can be done by repairing it, replacing it, offering a refund (for equipment) or, in rare cases, repurchasing the car.
What should I do if my vehicle is included in this recall?
If your vehicle is included in this recall, it is very important that you get it fixed as soon as possible given the potential danger to you and your passengers if it is not addressed. You should receive a separate letter in the mail from the vehicle manufacturer, notifying you of the recall and explaining when the remedy will be available, whom to contact to repair your vehicle, and to remind you that the repair will be done at no charge to you. If you believe your vehicle is included in the recall, but you do not receive a letter in the mail from the vehicle manufacturer, please call NHTSA's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236, or contact your vehicle manufacturer or dealership.
Thank you for your attention to this important safety matter and for your commitment to helping save lives on America's roadways.

Reactions: Green Sub

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yes, I received that notice from Gas Buddy.

I entered my VIN and the recall doesn’t apply to my 2019 Kona SE (yet)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I ran it through the Hyundai site, It showed the Recall for mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all. Opened my e-mail this morning. Saw an E-mail from US NHTSA. Concerning a Recall about Piston Rings in the 19-21 Kona. And a few other models.

Your vehicle MAY be involved in a safety recall and MAY create a safety risk for you or your passengers. If left unrepaired, a potential safety defect could lead to injury or even death. Safety defects must be repaired by a dealer at no cost to you.
Why am I getting this email?
You are receiving this message because you requested to be notified by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) if there is a safety recall that may affect your vehicle.
The following may apply to one or more of your vehicles if your vehicle is listed below. Click on the NHTSA Recall ID Number below to read more about the safety issue and the reason for the recall.
To find out if your specific passenger vehicle is included in the recall, use our VIN Look-up Tool.
NHTSA Recall ID Number :​
21V301
Manufacturer :​
Hyundai Motor America
Subject :​
Improperly Heat-Treated Piston Oil Rings
Make​
Model​
Model Years​
HYUNDAI​
ELANTRA​
2019-2020​
HYUNDAI​
KONA​
2019-2021​
HYUNDAI​
VELOSTER​
2019-2021​
What is a recall?
When a manufacturer or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) determines that a vehicle creates an unreasonable risk to safety or fails to meet minimum safety standards, the manufacturer is required to fix that vehicle at no cost to the owner. That can be done by repairing it, replacing it, offering a refund (for equipment) or, in rare cases, repurchasing the car.
What should I do if my vehicle is included in this recall?
If your vehicle is included in this recall, it is very important that you get it fixed as soon as possible given the potential danger to you and your passengers if it is not addressed. You should receive a separate letter in the mail from the vehicle manufacturer, notifying you of the recall and explaining when the remedy will be available, whom to contact to repair your vehicle, and to remind you that the repair will be done at no charge to you. If you believe your vehicle is included in the recall, but you do not receive a letter in the mail from the vehicle manufacturer, please call NHTSA's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236, or contact your vehicle manufacturer or dealership.
Thank you for your attention to this important safety matter and for your commitment to helping save lives on America's roadways.
yes just came out recall for konas

·
Registered
180 Posts
FWIW, my 2019 Kona SE 2.0 was manufactured 08/09/2018 and does not have the recall.

I checked at

and

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First I thought it was a Scam.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is the question isn't it? Some of us May be riding around with an Engine that could grenade. And don't know it. As a Auto tech, I am Anal about changing my Oil and Filter. And use Good Parts. So far I have not seen anything amiss in my Oil changes. Metal Flakes or anything. I changed my Drain Plug to a Magnetic one at the first, 1k Mile oil change. Now have just over 19K

·
Registered
66 Posts
I change my own oil too with synthetic Castro edge and have not notice any high oil consumption.at this point they might as well give me my money back and I’ll buy another car

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine is a Lease. Give me another engine.

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
the solution is a new engine, but they need to install software to monitor engine to see if rings are bad.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Who has the newest Kona 2.0 that the recall applies to?

You can see the manufacturing date on the vehicle ID label on the driver side door jam.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The manufacturing date on my Kona is 1/18/19 and when I put the VIN number in it comes up with this recall about the pistons. I have a 2019 SE AWD Kona. Does anyone know what the remedy is for this?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts