Hyundai Kona Forum banner
81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
So with this recall they would have to replace the whole motor? geeze. My SE is part of the recall but I haven't had any issues, been going in for normal oil changes when its due.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
The Recall was Announced back in April. No Remedy as of yet

Reactions: Green Sub

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Hello. Today I received a letter from Hyundai. Made the Appointment on Sept 3 with my Dealer. They're supposed to be uploading Software onto the Computer to "Listen" for engine problems.

Reactions: AJT

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello. Today I received a letter from Hyundai. Made the Appointment on Sept 3 with my Dealer. They're supposed to be uploading Software onto the Computer to "Listen" for engine problems.
Please let us know what happens. I haven't received a letter yet but I noticed the recall site now has the remedy listed. What is says is they will listen for unusual noises (using the knock sensor and a tablet-type computer) at the dealership. If you fail, they replace the engine. However, it also says the software update for the car is still in development so I guess we'll need a second visit to the dealer for that. I would assume the recall isn't cleared for our vehicle until that software update is made.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Please let us know what happens. I haven't received a letter yet but I noticed the recall site now has the remedy listed. What is says is they will listen for unusual noises (using the knock sensor and a tablet-type computer) at the dealership. If you fail, they replace the engine. However, it also says the software update for the car is still in development so I guess we'll need a second visit to the dealer for that. I would assume the recall isn't cleared for our vehicle until that software update is made.
FYI - Here is the text for the remedy: HYUNDAI MOTOR AMERICA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF AFFECTED VEHICLE TO RETURN THEIR VEHICLES TO THEIR DEALERS FOR AN ENGINE INSPECTION TEST TO DETERMINE THE PRESENCE OF DAMAGE ON THE CYLINDER BORE AND PISTON SKIRT. IF ABNORMALITIES RELATING TO DAMAGE IS FOUND, THE ENGINE WILL BE REPLACED WITH A NEW ONE. AS AN ADDED LEVEL OF PROTECTION, ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES WILL RECEIVE AN ENHANCED ENGINE CONTROL SOFTWARE UPDATE CONTAINING A NEW PISTON NOISE SENSING SYSTEM ("PNSS") PROGRAM. THE PNSS CONTINUOUSLY MONITORS ENGINE VIBRATIONS FOR UNUSUAL POTENTIALLY INDICATING AN ABNORMAL CONDITION WITH THE ENGINE, SUCH AS A DAMAGED CYLINDER BORE AND/OR PISTON SKIRT, WHICH COULD LEAD TO AN ENGINE FAILURE. THE PNSS IS CURRENTLY UNDER DEVELOPMENT AND WILL BE APPLIED WHEN AVAILABLE. THE REMEDY PROCEDURE WILL BE PERFORMED AT NO CHARGE. HYUNDAI WILL PROVIDE REIMBURSEMENT TO OWNERS FOR REPAIRS ACCORDING TO THE PLAN SUBMITTED TO NHTSA ON MAY 16, 2018.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
I am at the Dealership now. Told the Reflash could take an Hour. My Appointment was at 10. At 10:40 Still haven't pulled in shop. If they Detect something, Would be longer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am at the Dealership now. Told the Reflash could take an Hour. My Appointment was at 10. At 10:40 Still haven't pulled in shop. If they Detect something, Would be longer.
Thanks for the update - hope all goes well. The recall page still says the software for the update is in development so it will be interesting to see if you actually get the software update installed or if they just did the monitoring on this visit.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
In the shop now

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
They Installed Software onto my ECM.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
That software will do nothing. It is exactly like a oil idiot light. When and if it goes off, it is too late. The damage is done. It is more being used to pacify the customer and the NHTSA.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That software will do nothing. It is exactly like a oil idiot light. When and if it goes off, it is too late. The damage is done. It is more being used to pacify the customer and the NHTSA.
I fully agree. In fact it might even be worse because my understanding is if it goes off, it puts the car in 'limp home' mode. But I'm assuming I need it to get the recall cleared on my vehicle.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Limp Mode? First I heard of that. Mine was the First done by the Dealership.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I just got back from the first year maintenance and the H203 (piston rings) recall inspection on my 2021 Kona SEL. Happy to report that it passed something referred to as the "Atkinson Engine Inspection". Also it's interesting to note that the new oil is semisynthetic 5W30 at no extra charge--probably better than the original 5W20 given the issue with the rings as well as the perpetual high heat here in Florida.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Huh? My dealer only did the Inspection and Programming.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2020 Elantra and just came across this forum after searching for more info due to receiving a Recall Notice last week for the same issue.

Is it wrong to believe that the only true remedy for this situation is total engine replacement regardless whether or not damage is found upon inspection? I realize Hyundai would not do that for all vehicles included in the recall however if no damage is found and what looks to be useless software installed as a substitute remedy it's hard to not look at your vehicle almost like a ticking timebomb that could stall out on a major highway at 70+MPH at any time. I guess that could happen with any vehicle but since it's been specifically pointed out as a possible outcome for vehicles with these NU engines it's hard to not let your mind drift there. Strongly considering trading my Elantra in for a non-Hyundai make/model which is unfortunate because I really like it.

·
Super Moderator
1,233 Posts
Limp Mode? First I heard of that. Mine was the First done by the Dealership.
They had a recall for the Kia Sportage , and it will put the car in limp mode if the conditions are met , according to the paperwork we had received.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Today I received Another Notice from Hyundai for the Recall. Mine was done on 9/3/21

·
Registered
7 Posts
How do you inspect the piston rings without removing and dismantling the engine? Anyone with any engine knowledge knows that a failed piston ring = misfires, blow by, excessive oil consumption, and eventually a blown motor when the pieces of the failed ring get caught up all over the oil passages.

The resale value of EVERY Hyundai and Kia just plummeted. These things won't be touched in the resale market now. My wife loves her car, but hasn't driven it much so we have less than 2,000 miles on her 2019. And yes, to the others who mentioned it, I changed the oil at 750 miles as you're supposed to with a new engine. I wonder when the class action lawsuit will start?
How do you inspect the piston rings without removing and dismantling the engine? Anyone with any engine knowledge knows that a failed piston ring = misfires, blow by, excessive oil consumption, and eventually a blown motor when the pieces of the failed ring get caught up all over the oil passages.

The resale value of EVERY Hyundai and Kia just plummeted. These things won't be touched in the resale market now. My wife loves her car, but hasn't driven it much so we have less than 2,000 miles on her 2019. And yes, to the others who mentioned it, I changed the oil at 750 miles as you're supposed to with a new engine. I wonder when the class action lawsuit will start?
the easiest way the at least get a preliminary look at the piston walls to see if there is any galling Is to remove the spark plugs and insert a flexible camera /Light to view the area.
I have seen this done. You can get a very good idea of piston ring issues this way. And, it would only take an hour or so for a four cylinder engine.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts