Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the direct fit hitch from kurt is 1/25" but that didn't support my needs.. a 2"

according to 2021 Hyundai Kona Towing Capacity | CarIndigo.com it can pull 5000 lbs

i picked up the Reese Towpower 37042 Class III Multi-Fit from facebook market place

installation is straight forward, lower the rear k member, 4 bolts, do not removed just till the end of the threads

trim the rear alignment pins (remove 2") so a deep 3/4" socket fits

you can either trim the sheet metal bumper support .. i went with notching the hitch.

you'll need to drill a 1/2" hole and feeding the supplied grade 8's with the "fish" and trim a bit off the k member and notch the drop bracket

impressed kona frame rails were filled with oil..

don't forget to use the hardened , grade 8 bolts, for the sheer points

all in all took 4 hrs for my first trail hitch install.. 6" grinder worked great
a couple of pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Well, you just found a site that is putting out 100% wrong information. The 1.6T AWD Kona can tow a max of 2,800 lbs. with brakes. I don't remember the non brake spec, but that is somewhere between 600 to 750 lbs.

The 2.0 naturally aspirated ATF pumping trans would not be able to handles 2,800 lbs. I would assume that car is rated at 1,500 lbs with brakes and 600 without brakes.

You can tow in European countries. In North America, it is "Not Recommended" "Not Recommended " does not mean NO. Hyundai just doesn't "Recommend it". Since the Hyundai Kona is a world car you just have to get the specs from Europe.

We see where Hyundai talks about voiding warranty with high performance parts on the Veloster N and they state plan as day "VOIDS Warranty", not "Not Recommended". These words 'Not Recommended " has scared 90% of people that were going to tow, so using those words Hyundai has reduced warranty claims.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My primary reason is for a 2” is the weight of a 4 bike hitch vs 1-1/4 from u hall

I was pleasantly surprised the rail internals were fluid coated

Clearly the rating is a cya warranty disclaimer

Well, you just found a site that is putting out 100% wrong information. The 1.6T AWD Kona can tow a max of 2,800 lbs. with brakes. I don't remember the non brake spec, but that is somewhere between 600 to 750 lbs.

The 2.0 naturally aspirated ATF pumping trans would not be able to handles 2,800 lbs. I would assume that car is rated at 1,500 lbs with brakes and 600 without brakes.

You can tow in European countries. In North America, it is "Not Recommended" "Not Recommended " does not mean NO. Hyundai just doesn't "Recommend it". Since the Hyundai Kona is a world car you just have to get the specs from Europe.

We see where Hyundai talks about voiding warranty with high performance parts on the Veloster N and they state plan as day "VOIDS Warranty", not "Not Recommended". These words 'Not Recommended " has scared 90% of people that were going to tow, so using those words Hyundai has reduced warranty claims.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts