Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had anyone purchased and tried the shark racing X-brace, front subframe brace or solid strut bar? Is there anywhere that sells a cheaper alternative? They are easy, substantial upgrades but I am wondering if they are worth the cost.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The hollow solid strut bar is an issue on installation, i've brought this up before, it shows you need to cut the cowl to install it, and that's not acceptable to me. It appears they found one that closely fits the kona, but not one properly designed for it.

As for the subframe brace, they show it on a Kona EV, which uses a different subframe than the Gas models, and the 1.0/1.6/2.0 all use different subframes, so there is no way to know if it will fit or not in reality. I have brought this info up to shark racing about a dozen times, and they refuse to take the time to check on it, its a manufactures issue, and Luxon has made no replies too the numerous amounts of emails i have sent them.

Stating that, i doubt the x-brace is correct.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The hollow solid strut bar is an issue on installation, i've brought this up before, it shows you need to cut the cowl to install it, and that's not acceptable to me. It appears they found one that closely fits the kona, but not one properly designed for it.

As for the subframe brace, they show it on a Kona EV, which uses a different subframe than the Gas models, and the 1.0/1.6/2.0 all use different subframes, so there is no way to know if it will fit or not in reality. I have brought this info up to shark racing about a dozen times, and they refuse to take the time to check on it, its a manufactures issue, and Luxon has made no replies too the numerous amounts of emails i have sent them.

Stating that, i doubt the x-brace is correct.
thats good to know thank you for the info. I'm mostly interested in the xbrace and the front subframe brace not so much for performance but to add some strength to the weak subframes.

·
Registered
557 Posts
thats good to know thank you for the info. I'm mostly interested in the xbrace and the front subframe brace not so much for performance but to add some strength to the weak subframes.
What gives you the idea the subframe is weak?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What gives you the idea the subframe is weak?
because its made from cheap stamped steel. I know it twists, all vehicles do but you can feel it in the kona. 2 braces would make for a nice ride. they put them on race cars for that same reason better handling. would do a small suv like the kona wonders i think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts