Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a black Kona. I like the look of the stock wheels, just wished they were not chrome.

I have seen a lot of pics on the internet where people have swapped out their wheels to black ones and I thought they looked sharp. So I did some pricing and realized they were out of my budget.

I thought about doing the plastic dip and coating the wheels. But I have seen a lot of cars around town which have done this and after a short time, the plastic tears. I know it is not suppose to be permanent, and I'm sure it has much to do with how well the person did the prep work. But I want something that will last a bit longer.

I opted to use vinyl wrap. It is difficult (especially since I did it without taking the tires off the car), but the results were nice. I do not know how long this will last, but it will hold me till I can get my dream of powder coating the wheels later.

I did not use gloss black vinyl, I went with a mate black. I thought the gloss might show scratched easier. But now I think the gloss would have looked better. Next time I'll try gloss.

(The pics attached show the wheels a bit lighter than they really. Camera just doesn't do contrast very well.)

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, all one piece. My process:
1. Clean wheel and degrease
2. Cut vinyl to just a bit bigger circle than rim
3. Peal backing and place entire sheet over rim with rim still on car
4. Starting at the top with light pressure, push onto rim working my way down
5. Once close, use heat gun gently to set vinyl a bit
6. Cut inside slices out
7. Cut around outside of rim
8. Heat gun and firm pressure for final set
8. Heat gun a bit more to make sure all edges down

·
Registered
149 Posts
Idont, when I got my turbo I went thru the same situation, didn't get rims yet so, I think one of the first things I did was plasti dip the wheels at the time it was the cheapest and most convenient way to change the look of the wheels. Every blue moon the plasti dip would peel. I keep the temple from when 1st time I dip them, and any time a wheel would get a lil peel I would just touch it up with the plasti dip spray and the temple I made, but then I graduated and went the dubway, and now I'm sitting on 20". I don't, you did a good job with the vinyl. trust the process.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I really like the look of dark rims, but right now it's out of my budget. I thought about powder coating, but that is $125 per wheel and you have to deliver the rim to them with the tire and tps sensor off. It takes a week to get them back. Of course you have to pay someone to remount and balance and that's more money. So much trouble.

I have no idea how long Vinyl will last on wheels, but I guess I'll find out soon!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yeah, I really like the look of dark rims, but right now it's out of my budget. I thought about powder coating, but that is $125 per wheel and you have to deliver the rim to them with the tire and tps sensor off. It takes a week to get them back. Of course you have to pay someone to remount and balance and that's more money. So much trouble.

I have no idea how long Vinyl will last on wheels, but I guess I'll find out soon!
Quality vinyl should last between 5 and 7 years on wheels, less time if offroading or trudging through the snow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It truly is not that difficult. And I did them while still mounted on the car. First time I ever tried something like this so it took 30-45 minutes for each wheel.

I'm sure a professional would have been quicker and better results. But I knew if I did an awful job, I could just remove it. It's not a permanent change. So I wasn't afraid to try.

·
Registered
14 Posts
These look great and they match the plastic fender flares which give it a whole other dimension. I'd love to try this on mine since I have an ultra black too and was trying to think of something to do with the wheels.

Do you have a link to the color/brand vinyl you used?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
VViViD Auto rim air release adhesive vinyl wrap 24 x 30, 4 pack (matte metallic charcoal) at Amazon for $27.99

You are right, it is very close to the fender color. Also, it has been 4 months so far and the vinyl has not moved at all. I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Unfortunately they don't seem to have the matte charcoal anymore, at least not in the 4 pack wheel size. But at least I know what I'm looking for now. Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
yeah know... if you have winter steel rims, there's a cheaper option.

while these rims are nice, they're the wrong colour right?

doesn't that look much sexier?
now mine only costs like $80cdn for the 4 of them, wheel hub cap covers are your friend, if you're not up to the wrap job.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts