Hyundai Kona Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
One last thing that I didn't think about in my earlier post...

I don't know if the WiFi channels (frequencies) are the same in the U.S. as in Australia.

If you buy a U.S. market WiFi device, it may be illegal in your country, but more than that-- it just won't work.

I haven't looked it up, but I do know that some non-U.S. countries use a different frequency band than the U.S. This may be the root cause (if the frequencies are different).

The fact that it doesn't charge as fast as the drain is rather annoying.

·
Registered
2018 Kona Highlander 1.6T
80 Posts
One last thing that I didn't think about in my earlier post...

I don't know if the WiFi channels (frequencies) are the same in the U.S. as in Australia.

If you buy a U.S. market WiFi device, it may be illegal in your country, but more than that-- it just won't work.

I haven't looked it up, but I do know that some non-U.S. countries use a different frequency band than the U.S. This may be the root cause (if the frequencies are different).

The fact that it doesn't charge as fast as the drain is rather annoying.
Thanx for your insights. Possible wifi incompatibility is a very good point mate! If that is the problem I guess I'm screwed!

My Samsung S21 ultra supports a number of 5G bands but the only thing my research has proven so far is that I do not understand the electro magnetic spectrum at all: frequency bands; wavelengths; the fact that the MA1 uses Wi-FiA○REA 802.11 a/n/ac (whatever that means) which in no way equates to the 5G bands my Samsung S21 ultra supports 2, 5, 25, 41, 66, 71, 260, 261 SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave - SM-G991U(whatever that means). Apples and oranges? It may as well be written in Greek! I have another MA1 on the way, not form Amazon tho, and this time I'll exhaust all phone setting possibilities before I give up on it. Who knew for example that the AA ap settings has a toggle to enable wireless AA? Mine was off btw! I'm hanging my hopes on changing that setting will be the answer.

I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yep...it is Greek. WiFi is kinda like 5G, it just operates at a different frequency. WiFi would allow you to use your home or work wireless network, where 5G is "everywhere" (inside most buildings and outside). Your phone pretty much uses the 5G communication all the time. Unless you have programmed your phone to connect to WiFi or "hotspots."

I did some quick look ups, and apparently I was down the wrong rabbit hole. It appears that WiFi frequencies in Australia are the same as in the US. So...my conclusion about that was wrong. I still believe that the AA Wireless Adapter uses WiFi.

Now, yes !!! When you get the new device be sure to turn on the AA Wireless.

Please let us know your experience.

BTW...my Mom through her travels is good friends with a couple in Howlong NSW. She keeps in touch with them still. I'm a creeper and it seems like it would be a nice drive from one location to another... well, maybe in the Spring or late Autumn. No rain for years and then now it won't stop.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yep...it is Greek. WiFi is kinda like 5G, it just operates at a different frequency. WiFi would allow you to use your home or work wireless network, where 5G is "everywhere" (inside most buildings and outside). Your phone pretty much uses the 5G communication all the time. Unless you have programmed your phone to connect to WiFi or "hotspots."

I did some quick look ups, and apparently I was down the wrong rabbit hole. It appears that WiFi frequencies in Australia are the same as in the US. So...my conclusion about that was wrong. I still believe that the AA Wireless Adapter uses WiFi.

BTW...my Mom through her travels is good friends with a couple in Howlong NSW. She keeps in touch with them still. I'm a creeper and it seems like it would be a nice drive from one location to another... well, maybe in the Spring or late Autumn. No rain for years and then now it won't stop.
I know Howlong. Nice little town very close to the Victorian premier wine growing region.

The new MA1 arrived this afternoon and within 2 minutes Nirvana had been achieved! I haven't driven with it yet but the initial connection only took 30 secs or so. Switched the car off and back on again and AA reconnected with 10 to 15 seconds. Impressive. Given what others have reported I don't expect any latency issues. I'm a happy camper!

I haven't mounted the unit yet but at this stage my preferred option is to mount it upside down in the cubby above the usb port. No twists in the MA1cable this way and there's still enough space in that cubby for the phone.

Thanx for your help with this.

·
Registered
2020 Kona electric 64 kWh adv. White w Black foiled roof.
6 Posts

Hi
The first AAWireless I received had problems with the connection, kept unconnecting and reconnecting every 15-20 minutes.
I then contacted their support and after exploring their different suggestions on altering the channels and trying an other mobile phone, with the same problems, they sent me a new AAWireless.
That new one work without any problems, and I didn't have to configure any thing.
I should contact AAWireless support if I were you. They are great.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanx for you comments. The second one I purchased connected and works perfectly. Notwithstanding, today was the first long drive I've done with AA connected and running thru the Motorola MA1. I found that my phone, an S21 Ultra, gets quite warm and the battery drains quick!

On todays 6 hr drive I had the phone on fast charge thru a wired connection while running AA thru the MA1 and the phone got very hot!

I have also noticed that while Google maps and Amigo work perfectly (but with are, IMHO, their respective limitations) my preferred GPS, Waze, has latency issues. Not sure if its the Waza ap or AA running the ap thru the MA1 or perhaps a little bit of both!

Regardless, I'm still happy with the MA1 and how it performs and importantly the utility it provides.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts