Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2022 Kona N. I can't figure out how to connect Android Auto Wirelessly even after searching for instructions. The Phone is a Samsung 22. I found a video showing how to do this for apple but not for samsung. I can get bluetooth connected but android auto only works while plugged in. I am not sure of the point of the wireless charger if you can't connect android auto wirelessly. Does anyone have any info on how to do this or if it is even possible?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm researching for a dongle accessory. I came out here to see if anyone had purchased and recommendations they might have.

I have 2022 Kona Limited and unfortunately it doesn't have wireless connectivity for Android auto. I knew this when I bought the car but was told it was a software issue.

Hopefully Hyundai will figure it out send us all updates to fix!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm researching for a dongle accessory. I came out here to see if anyone had purchased and recommendations they might have.

I have 2022 Kona Limited and unfortunately it doesn't have wireless connectivity for Android auto. I knew this when I bought the car but was told it was a software issue.

Hopefully Hyundai will figure it out send us all updates to fix!
I wouldn’t wait for that…. Just buy any dongle off of Amazon for around $100 and it will work just fine 90% of the time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wait, lol, is there a wireless dongle out there you guys are talking about or is it just connecting with a cable the solution? A cable works for me but a wireless dongle would be pretty sweet haha.

·
Administrator
684 Posts
It is a dongle. it is convenient. I have a one for a few years for Carplay. Whoever you get it from, make sure the return is easy. it either works or it doesn't.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It is a dongle. it is convenient. I have a one for a few years Carplay. Whoever you get it from, make sure the return is easy. it either works or it doesn't.
oh nice! would you happen to have a link to one you've purchased or ones similar? I don't think I have seen anything like that, but tbh, didn't know there was something like that out there haha.

·
Registered
2018 Kona Highlander 1.6T
80 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on one of these on Amazon.

Motorola MA1 Wireless Android Auto Car Adapter - Instant Connection from Smartphone to Car Screen with Easy Setup - Direct Plug-in USB Adapter - Secure Gel Pad Included
They have very good reviews. It's been shipped and should be here in a couple of weeks. The only real issue I may have is that the 11 cm cable, fixed at the dongle end might be a tad restrictive as to installation location options, particularly as I don't want the cable or the unit to impede access to either the fast charge pad or the cubby above it as I use both for phone storage. Although both storage locations are only just large enough to fit my Samsung S21.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Attachments

Reactions: 310gts

·
Registered
80 Posts

Motorola MA1 Wireless Android Auto Car Adapter - Instant Connection from Smartphone to Car Screen with Easy Setup - Direct Plug-in USB Adapter - Secure Gel Pad Included
They have very good reviews. It's been shipped and should be here in a couple of weeks. The only real issue I may have is that the 11 cm cable, fixed at the dongle end might be a tad restrictive as to installation location options, particularly as I don't want the cable or the unit to impede access to either the fast charge pad or the cubby above it as I use both for phone storage. Although both storage locations are only just large enough to fit my Samsung S21.

So I purchased the Motorola MA1 Wireless Android Auto (AA) adapter on Amazon USA. I followed the connection instructions but it will not connect to my Kona which does successfully run AA from my Samsung s21 through a wired connection.
I think that the issue is because the car drops AA (it disappears from the cars screen) the instant the phone cable is unplugged from the car's usb input socket. It doesn't matter how fast I swap in the MA1 cable, AA won't appear back on the car's screen.

I can successfully Bluetooth pair with the MA1 when its blue light is blinking but I cannot connect with the MA1 in my phone's Bluetooth settings. My car remains Bluetooth connected to "Kona" ie, the car for phone and audio but the phone will not Bluetooth connect to the MA1. After I pair with the MA1 its indicator light turns from blue to continually flash green. This green light keeps on flashing but no Android Auto. The instructions state that the connection process could take some time but I have left it connected for over 15 minutes but no change: green light flashing and no AA.

I have tried several times, unpairing it from my phone and resetting the MA1 by leaving it plugged into the car's usb port and holding the button. According to the instructions, the MA1 indicator light is supposed to turn yellow but my units light never flashes yellow but it does flash red after a time? Regardless, still no AA.

The Resolution

Return it to Amazon.

I'd prefer to keep the thing and get it set up properly coz it is advertised as doing exactly what I want: run AA wirelessly on my car from my phone. However, I've tried unsuccessfully to get any useful product support or response from either Motorola USA or Amazon USA.

Motorola Australia doesn't support the MA1 coz its not marketed in Australia. The Motorola USA product support webpage won't accept an Australian phone number but if you try hard enough, it'll will but it flicks you back to Motorola Australia. Endless loop - see loop endless, Loop endless - see endless loop ......

Amazon won't help because, although it sells Motorola products, Motorola isn't one of their 'sales partners'.

This has been such a frustrating experience , so much so that I doubt I will ever purchase another Motorola product or anything from Amazon again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you are using the Motorola MA1, you will have to WiFi connect your phone to the Motorola MA1.

From what I understand, only sound (voice/music) uses the Bluetooth connection. Android Auto requires much more bandwidth than Bluetooth has, so you have to use something with can move a lot more data around quickly. Traditionally, this has been using a wired connection. Even bad/slow WiFi is better than Bluetooth for transferring data.

Try plugging in the Motorola MA1, then select that as the phone's WiFi to connect, then try starting AA.

I don't have one, but have been thinking about getting one as my car has the built in wireless charging and so does my phone.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you are using the Motorola MA1, you will have to WiFi connect your phone to the Motorola MA1.

From what I understand, only sound (voice/music) uses the Bluetooth connection. Android Auto requires much more bandwidth than Bluetooth has, so you have to use something with can move a lot more data around quickly. Traditionally, this has been using a wired connection. Even bad/slow WiFi is better than Bluetooth for transferring data.

Try plugging in the Motorola MA1, then select that as the phone's WiFi to connect, then try starting AA.

I don't have one, but have been thinking about getting one as my car has the built in wireless charging and so does my phone.
Thanx but the MA1 instructions and all of the utube videos I've watched confirm that you Bluetooth connect your phone to the MA1, not Wireless connect. I'm not sure how the tech works but Bluetooth is the magic between phone and adapter.

Infuriatingly and confusingly, one of the utube vidiographers went thru the Bluetooth pairing process and then during the rest of the video occasionally referred to, " wireless" dropouts due to high buildings etc! No wireless involved in tge magic!

Long story short, either the Hyundai head unit in my 2018 1.6 Kona Highlander is not compatible with the MA1 or the MA1 that was sent to me is faulty. Either way, its on its way back to Amazon!

·
Registered
5 Posts

I got my Motorola MA1 in the mail about 2 weeks ago and has worked flawlessly since. I got it for $85, but I know that price fluctuates.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Scott,

Half your luck. Where did you get yours? Current Amazon price is $130 usd.

Can you provide me with some info about connecting the unit pls:

after you Bluetooth paired it to your phone did you have to connect to it, as you would to any other Bluetooth device or do you just pair it;
when you connected the MA1 to the car's usb and you get the flashing green light, does that light ever change to a solid green to indicate that it has connected to the car or does it just keep flashing;
when the MA1 connects to the car does the AA icon replace the Bluetooth green phone icon on the car's screen, as it would if you hard-wire connected your phone to the car's usb or does the Android auto icon in the main menu, which is normally greyed-out, illuminate so you connect to AA by clicking on that?

I'd very much appreciate your help with these questions as it may enable me to identify whether or not the unit I was sent was defective or whether the fault was mine. Thanx.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Scott,

Half your luck. Where did you get yours? Current Amazon price is $130 usd.

Can you provide me with some info about connecting the unit pls:

after you Bluetooth paired it to your phone did you have to connect to it, as you would to any other Bluetooth device or do you just pair it;
when you connected the MA1 to the car's usb and you get the flashing green light, does that light ever change to a solid green to indicate that it has connected to the car or does it just keep flashing;
when the MA1 connects to the car does the AA icon replace the Bluetooth green phone icon on the car's screen, as it would if you hard-wire connected your phone to the car's usb or does the Android auto icon in the main menu, which is normally greyed-out, illuminate so you connect to AA by clicking on that?

I'd very much appreciate your help with these questions as it may enable me to identify whether or not the unit I was sent was defective or whether the fault was mine. Thanx.
All I did was pair the device with my phone, plugged the device into the USB device and it just worked. Your card detects your phone via android auto then. So you get the android auto icon and everything works fine. If you look @ the companion app for android auto on your phone that app also shows wireless connection. My phone is also still connected to my car via bluetooth as well so I still get the bluetooth icon and they claim you still need BT to your system for phone calls, but I don't fully understand that statement as I can hit the phone icon from android auto, pick someone to dial and place the call like you can when u are hard wired.

I'll go verify the light that turns on in a minute for ya

·
Registered
5 Posts
All I did was pair the device with my phone, plugged the device into the USB device and it just worked. Your card detects your phone via android auto then. So you get the android auto icon and everything works fine. If you look @ the companion app for android auto on your phone that app also shows wireless connection. My phone is also still connected to my car via bluetooth as well so I still get the bluetooth icon and they claim you still need BT to your system for phone calls, but I don't fully understand that statement as I can hit the phone icon from android auto, pick someone to dial and place the call like you can when u are hard wired.

I'll go verify the light that turns on in a minute for ya

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Kona electric 64 kWh adv. White w Black foiled roof.
6 Posts
Hi
As the Motorola ma1 was sold out, I ordered the AAWireless dongle instead. It works brilliantly.
Btw. I also installed a frunk from the Austrian company www.frunk.at. Great to have the charging cables in the front.
Hood Musical instrument accessory Electronic device Auto part Gadget

·
Registered
2020 Kona electric 64 kWh adv. White w Black foiled roof.
6 Posts
Hi
As the Motorola ma1 was sold out, I ordered the AAWireless dongle instead. It works brilliantly.
Btw. I also installed a frunk from the Austrian company www.frunk.at. Great to have the charging cables in the front. View attachment 7204
One annoying thing is that, as I now can use the wireless charging, that doesn't seem to be able to charge as fast as the android auto is draining the battery.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts