Hyundai Kona Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I don't know how big the brakes are so I am sure someone else can chime in, but if you can, downsize to 17" (I'm sure the brakes are way to big to handle 16s), pick up a set of steel rims, and get some good winters. I don't know about you, but for me missing a day of work because of a big snow storm is a huge deal, so spending $1200 on rims and tires is a no brainer. Also bear in mind that while steel rims are not the prettiest, they are a ** of a lot easier to repair, and much cheaper. During the messy season that is winter I don't give a ** about how the car looks as long as it is safe to drive.
You cannot down size to 17", the smallest is 18" because of the front brake rotor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Finally got my winter tires put on today. I lucked out because the tires were on sale, plus another $120 instant rebate. Brought the price down to $1580 with installation. Very happy with this set up. They said the OEM wheel locks don't fit on them, any one have suggestions for wheel locks that will fit? Also used this opportunity to put the Chevron Techron fuel additive to the car. I am now New Jersey winter ready.

Enkei Performance Vulcan GLS Black Gloss
Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 - 235/45R-18

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Locking hubs

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

I ended up getting all seasons! Hankook Kinergy 4S2 on the OEM wheels. All together $1150 (they were on sale). For the price on 19" wheels it was hard to pass up! I may get a second set of wheels for summer tires later on but I'm leaning on just selling the PZero's. I live in MN and won't need them until May anyway. I'm not rushing to a race track anytime soon.

Anyone else sell their PZero's? How much you think they'd be worth with only 900 miles on them?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm gonna alternate my PZeros during the summer and use the set up I posted above for winter. My PZeros have 8100 miles on them and the thread still looks good. If your selling them I'd say maybe like 600 to maybe 800 if your lucky. Used tires, even with about 1k miles, don't have the best resale value. If you have the space I say keep them, unless you need the cash.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Finally got my winter tires put on today. I lucked out because the tires were on sale, plus another $120 instant rebate. Brought the price down to $1580 with installation. Very happy with this set up. They said the OEM wheel locks don't fit on them, any one have suggestions for wheel locks that will fit? Also used this opportunity to put the Chevron Techron fuel additive to the car. I am now New Jersey winter ready.

Enkei Performance Vulcan GLS Black Gloss
Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 - 235/45R-18

View attachment 7683
View attachment 7682
View attachment 7681
What offset are those wheels?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Also used this opportunity to put the Chevron Techron fuel additive to the car. I am now New Jersey winter ready.

View attachment 7683
I like those rims and would have considered them if I didn't already have the Motegi.

As for the fuel additive, I use that every 1,000 miles as gas stations up my way don't state if they are top tier or not, so I rather play it safe than sorry.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Is that good for the engine? The user manual for the N states every 6 thousand miles or 12 months.
If you can't use top tier gasoline it is recommended to add it more often. I have added it 4x now. Right after I bought the car, around 1,000, 2,000 and 3,000 mileage.

From what I have been told is that Chevron gas already has this additive, so if you can use Chevron gas you won't need the gas additive.

Where I live, I don't see any place listing their gas station as top tier. So instead of worrying about using top tier I simply add the Chevron Techron every 1k mileage or so. It is basically to help keep the engine clean from depot buildup due to the engine being direct injection.

I forgot to add that Hyundai sells Chervon Techron gas cleaner under its own name and it is recommended every 3K mileage. I figure with Hyundai offering the same product every 3k and with no gas station where I live being listed as top tier, I figured every 1K mileage seems safe for me to add the gas additive. Once I get to about 12K mileage, I may go every 2K miles before adding the gas additive.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Are you guys using 18" steel or aluminum?
I don't see many using steel wheels on their Kona N for their winter setup. Most seem to be using a good aluminum wheel.

I may get a chance to test out my Kona N in the snow in two days; snow is heading my way.

Local tire place I checked out were not able to find a 18" steel wheel to fit over the brake caliber. All of them recommend not to use spacers for winter tires; they recommended finding a low cost aluminum wheel to use if you don't already have one.

You should be able to find a reasonably priced 18" wheel for the Kona. I've seen some as low as $150 per a wheel.

For an 18" wheel I recommend getting one that is 18x8 and 43-48mm offset. Most here seem to find 45mm offset is fitting the Kona N nicely.

If price is your concern, check FB and craigslist; you may find a rim that fits and very inexpensive compared to what you would find new.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts