Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I don't have to drive my Kona N in the snow with two other cars in my yard that handle the snow more than fine. I do have a set of 18" rims with studded snow tires that will be put on the Kona come 10/29. I rather not even drive her in the snow but will if needed.

A friend of mine who does snow rallies wants me to join him up north and do at least one snow rally with him in my Kona N.

I'll eventually post pictures of her with the winter tire setup once they are on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I will be driving in the snow here in Canada, as it is the only vehicle I have. I have some Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5's on order, and had a fitment test done for 18" steel wheels to get battered all winter long. I'm a little excited to try her in the snow actually - just not excited for all the salt they are going to slap down so I'm going to get oil spray undercoated shortly.

·
Registered
2022 kona n
15 Posts
Living in western New York I am going to drive in the snow for sure. I bought a set of 4 original Kona N wheels from a poster here for $900 last March and will be putting on Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 for $1137. The tire dealer here has a storage option for the 4 summer tires and then switch back to the winter tires in late fall.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was just about to post this same question. I live in the mountains of NJ and was wondering what my options were. The Kona N is my only car and I drive 101 miles round trip to work everyday as well.

Am I better off just taking the summer tires off and using high performance all seasons indefinitely? This would be the cheapest option, since all the quotes I've gotten for 18 inch wheels and good snow tires are around $2k. Then I have to store the wheel/tires in my garage or basement area. Not really sure what to do. Thoughts?

·
Registered
198 Posts
The Kona N is my only car and I drive 101 miles round trip to work everyday as well.
I don't know how big the brakes are so I am sure someone else can chime in, but if you can, downsize to 17" (I'm sure the brakes are way to big to handle 16s), pick up a set of steel rims, and get some good winters. I don't know about you, but for me missing a day of work because of a big snow storm is a huge deal, so spending $1200 on rims and tires is a no brainer. Also bear in mind that while steel rims are not the prettiest, they are a **** of a lot easier to repair, and much cheaper. During the messy season that is winter I don't give a **** about how the car looks as long as it is safe to drive.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hmm, that's odd, as steel rims are definitely what a lot of people go for for winter tires. Costco may have them, or the dealership, but I fear you will pay a premium for steelies from the stealership. Maybe someone else can chime in, as in Canada we have numerous shops and all of them sell steel rims for half the price of regular, spoked rims.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do not recommend driving any FWD hyundai in the snow with all season tires. Hyundai do not have a good weight distribution, in fact most of there cars are front heavy. I recommend winter tires if you do drive in the snow with your Kona. However, if you can get your hands on all weather tires than go right ahead and use those all the time. Milestar and Nokian both make good all weather tires. I used Nokian all weather when I owned a Tiburon GT with 17" and they were great all year round tire. My mom has milestar all weather and loves them.

As someone that will be dealing with snow I have 18" Motegi MR131 ultra light weight rims with studded snow tires. I got both at discounted rates back in April when I owned my Elantra Sport. I had the Motegi with some nice ultra high performance all season tires on them and got the studded snow put on the stock rims. When I got my Kona N the dealership swapped the all season tires to the stock rims. I made sure the 18" rims I bought could fit N car or a WRX as I wasn't sure what car I would be getting myself into next.

As I write this, I am cringing at the fact that my ultra light weight wheels are the ones equipped with snow tires. LOL 🤣

·
Registered
24 Posts
I do not recommend driving any FWD hyundai in the snow with all season tires. Hyundai do not have a good weight distribution, in fact most of there cars are front heavy. I recommend winter tires if you do drive in the snow with your Kona. However, if you can get your hands on all weather tires than go right ahead and use those all the time. Milestar and Nokian both make good all weather tires. I used Nokian all weather when I owned a Tiburon GT with 17" and they were great all year round tire. My mom has milestar all weather and loves them.

As someone that will be dealing with snow I have 18" Motegi MR131 ultra light weight rims with studded snow tires. I got both at discounted rates back in April when I owned my Elantra Sport. I had the Motegi with some nice ultra high performance all season tires on them and got the studded snow put on the stock rims. When I got my Kona N the dealership swapped the all season tires to the stock rims. I made sure the 18" rims I bought could fit N car or a WRX as I wasn't sure what car I would be getting myself into next.

As I write this, I am cringing at the fact that my ultra light weight wheels are the ones equipped with snow tires. LOL 🤣
Can you give me the exact dimensions and offsets if the 18 rims? All these tire websites are giving me different dimensions

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you give me the exact dimensions and offsets if the 18 rims? All these tire websites are giving me different dimensions

My understanding is that for 18" wheels we want an offset around 45mm. So between 43-48mm would be ideal. The motegi I have is a 45mm offset. As for wheel width I stuck with 8" though you can go wider or a bit narrower if you want.

As for tire size, I'm running 235/40 R18 which is smaller than stock in overall diameter by 1". My speedo will be off by around 3-4% so If I go 100mph I would be doing around 96-97mph.

The recommend size is 235/45 R18. If you want more side wall you could run 215/50 R18. Both of these are valid tire size with minimal impact to speed. The 235/45 would be a 0.4% reduction in your speedo meaning if you were doing 100mph it would be reading around 99mph. If you go with 215/50 R18 it is a 0.4% increase in the speed meaning you would be doing around 101mph if you did 100mph.

Since most of my driving will be in the low mileage setting (under 35mph) in winter I figured my winter tires with studs will be more than adequate for me until I need tires or maybe get a new car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Living in western New York I am going to drive in the snow for sure. I bought a set of 4 original Kona N wheels from a poster here for $900 last March and will be putting on Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 for $1137. The tire dealer here has a storage option for the 4 summer tires and then switch back to the winter tires in late fall.
i just replaced the stock summer tires with all season tires. upstate vampire state also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My understanding is that for 18" wheels we want an offset around 45mm. So between 43-48mm would be ideal. The motegi I have is a 45mm offset. As for wheel width I stuck with 8" though you can go wider or a bit narrower if you want.

As for tire size, I'm running 235/40 R18 which is smaller than stock in overall diameter by 1". My speedo will be off by around 3-4% so If I go 100mph I would be doing around 96-97mph.

The recommend size is 235/45 R18. If you want more side wall you could run 215/50 R18. Both of these are valid tire size with minimal impact to speed. The 235/45 would be a 0.4% reduction in your speedo meaning if you were doing 100mph it would be reading around 99mph. If you go with 215/50 R18 it is a 0.4% increase in the speed meaning you would be doing around 101mph if you did 100mph.

Since most of my driving will be in the low mileage setting (under 35mph) in winter I figured my winter tires with studs will be more than adequate for me until I need tires or maybe get a new car.
I was looking at possibly getting Nitto Nomad Grappler for CUV/SUV Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person

But it doesn't seem to come in the 215/50R18 to fit my Kona N. Would a 225/55R18 work as this size is available? Has anyone tried this size tire on a Kona N?

I'm new to buying tires and prepping for winter but don't want full winter tires. I also don't want all season because I live in MN and the potholes with snow/slush combo are absolutely awful. It's actually why I decided against the Elantra N and went with the Kona N. I also have an old Sonata that doesn't have much of the front bumper, no under engine shield, and both front wheel housings cracked because of these roads. So, I'm in the market for a good All Terrain tire that I can slightly deflate in the winter for pothole dominance and run higher psi in the summer with minimal performance loss. The Nomad Grappler seems to fit the description need, but other suggestions are welcome.

The biggest problem is the fit. As others here have mentioned, it sounds like I can't go lower than 18" wheels unless I downgrade the brakes. Other option I was thinking is slightly raising it and getting spacers to accommodate the 18" wheels? I really don't want to do that if at all possible.

Newbie question, what's Load Rating/Speed Rating? It's an option on discount tire for ordering. What should it be for a Kona N when picking out an All Terrain tire in general? Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was just about to post this same question. I live in the mountains of NJ and was wondering what my options were. The Kona N is my only car and I drive 101 miles round trip to work everyday as well.

Am I better off just taking the summer tires off and using high performance all seasons indefinitely? This would be the cheapest option, since all the quotes I've gotten for 18 inch wheels and good snow tires are around $2k. Then I have to store the wheel/tires in my garage or basement area. Not really sure what to do. Thoughts?
i did exactly that. i have no intention of racing it, using the n mode. as long as i stay off the turbo, with the all season tires, i get 30- 34 mpg. i use Costco Top Tier regular gas. of course, could use premium, but 10 extra unused horsepower doesn't justify the 40-50 cent per gallon price increase.

·
Registered
36 Posts

i found out long time ago that you use spare tire in trunk, even a donut, to improve weight distribution and handling in Hyundais, whether the el cheapo torsion beam or the i.r.s. setup.
junked the bubble gum kit and use donut spare.
in case of problem, you have to move full size tire to front, as you can only use donut in rear on fwd.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Ehh, after doing more research, just finding the right winter tire would be best suited for me. One that handles deep snow and potholes well and I came to the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 SUV

Would this 215/55R18 99R XL work with the Kona N?

·
Registered
129 Posts
We only get sporadic snow where I am and the wife’s car is all wheel drive…so I’m not going full winters but I did take the P Zeros off in favor of performance all seasons last week…went with Goodyear Eagle Exhilarates. So far I really like them and think they’re a better fit for the car than the P Zeros. I personally found the Pirellis to be overkill.

They’re great on a hot, sticky day when you’re pushing the car to the limit but for daily driving they’re just so loud, rough riding, and too sensitive to temperature changes. Mine turned into absolute bricks as soon as the temperature got to about 60 and they really struggled with wet grip regardless of the temperature. I kept them but I’ll probably sell them soon…I like the Exhilarates a lot more. You sacrifice a little bit of at the limit grip and steering feel, but they’re just so much more pleasant for daily driving.

·
Registered
2022 kona n
15 Posts
Got my winter tires installed Wednesday. Went with Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II W240 235/40x19" mounted on my second set of Kona N wheels. Total cost for the tires was $1080. So far they seem great in the cold 35-40 degree mornings we are having lately. Will let you know when the white stuff comes.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts