Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
View attachment 6848

Jokes aside, I love my lowly 1.6T, but it sure would be nice to see an AWD Kona N in the next few model years. Anyone else holding out?
You can have 300hp in a 1.6T with a hybrid turbo. AND you have AWD. Or the 1.6T with OEM turbo 260+hp with 280 ft tq. <--correction.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can have 300hp in a 1.6T with a hybrid turbo. AND you have AWD. Or the 1.6T with OEM turbo 260+hp with 290 ft tq.
Which mods and tuning for either. After the engine rebuild I have really been contemplating throwing some power adders on if it is possible to get a good tune on it. Even 250hp, and 250ftlbs would be a great upgrade. She is held back quite a bit above 100kph.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Which mods and tuning for either. After the engine rebuild I have really been contemplating throwing some power adders on if it is possible to get a good tune on it. Even 250hp, and 250ftlbs would be a great upgrade. She is held back quite a bit above 100kph.

Hyundai is too stupid to make a Kona N AWD. The last and final car Beirmann was apart of, he FAILED at. It is not happening, since the N division has been dismantled and shut down.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hyundai is too stupid to make a Kona N AWD. The last and final car Beirmann was apart of, he FAILED at. It is not happening, since the N division has been dismantled and shut down.
First I have heard that it was shut down. That's too bad, but it makes sense when they could not make a proper car that people would actually want. I will have to look into the shutdown.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
First I have heard that it was shut down. That's too bad, but it makes sense when they could not make a proper car that people would actually want. I will have to look into the shutdown.
That's not true, all the N's are great cars, BUT they epicly failed on the Kona N. That car was meant to be AWD. The competition sees how important it is they came out with AWD street cars. Hyundai are just cheapskates and are just plain lazy. Any of the the quality and smart Youtube reviews brought up the lack of AWD. Most of these in the know reviews have driven modified AWD street racers know how a "properly set up AWD" street racer/track car is so so special over a " also ran" eLSD car.

Adding AWD doesnt have to cost the extra $10,000 the Golf R gets as VW is just ripping people off. The AWD option for a Kona 1.6T is $1,500 and that STILL gives Hyundai loads of profit. All the hardware is out there and not need to be more robust, as the rear diff from the Kona 1.6T AWD has a diff manufacture spec for total torque it can handle to be over 900 ftlbs. and the Kona N puts out close to 300 ftlb tq in the real world, way under the rear diffs spec. The 8 speed DCT with the transfer case added is already made and in high production in the Santa Fe. That trans can easily handle 400hp and 400 ftbs of torque which is way under what a Kona N AWD would be putting out.

Hyundai could of easily sold a Kona N AWD for $36,000 and had a ton of profit to reap. Beirmann FAILED on his last choice for his last car. As the sales would pull from so many more then where the NOW Kona N sales are coming from. Plus it would out handle the Golf R with ease and rob a good chunk of Golf R and WRX sales and also EVO sales where people want a new car vs an older used one.

Time to just build the 1.6T AWD because Hyundai is too stupid to build a Kona N AWD, that most of the other AWD performance cars are coming out have.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's not true, all the N's are great cars
To clarify I was referring to sales. I can't speak too much of the Elantra N, but I know the Veloster N, which was meant to be their flagship N model, had trouble selling these past few years. FWD sports cars like it and the Civic are niche as it is, and the fandom and community behind the civic is much bigger than the Veloster. I like them for what they are, but cars have been a diminishing market for years now, and Hyundai should have known that with the Kona N.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
The only way you will get a "common man" AWD performance car from Hyundai NOW will be an over priced EV car. Hyundai had a chance to make "the best N car" with the AWD Kona N. It would kill every N ever made, except the mid engine Veloster RM19 prototype. That is if they did it RIGHT and lowered the Kona N AWD 2.25 to 2.5 inches and not have it "crippled" as it is now with it's good for nothing ride height. Seeing it is suppose to be a street racer/semi-track car. That shows how stupid Hyundai and Beirmann is/was. The Kona N while a great car for some, some of us see it as an OXYMORON. I see it as one of Beirmann's greatest failures. Sadly, one of his failures, was his last car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts