Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a heavy user of Android Auto, and the 10.25" display was a factor in my choice of a 2020 Kona EV Ultimate.

So I was dismayed to discover that Hyundai was too lazy to size AA to the full screen, but just displays it in a 6.75" window:

What's the most effective way to complain to Hyundai (if "effective" isn't an oxymoron here)?

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
757 Posts
I dont think there will be an effective way to complain about it. Unless they make a patch update, i doubt anything will change about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think there will be an effective way to complain about it. Unless they make a patch update, i doubt anything will change about it.
I know they update maps by download, but does Hyundai have a track record of improving anything else, in particular the infotainment software?

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
757 Posts
I know they update maps by download, but does Hyundai have a track record of improving anything else, in particular the infotainment software?
Not a clue, The infotainment system was not a feature i cared for, thus i have not kept up on any info about it. 99% of the time, my radio is off on my limited gas model.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Not a clue, The infotainment system was not a feature i cared for, thus i have not kept up on any info about it. 99% of the time, my radio is off on my limited gas model.
You drive with no music or anything? Just the sound of the road? Rubber/Road, all the music you need?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did pursue this, and was told that this issue is in discussion for resolution between Hyundai Mobis and Google, but "... this is not something we expect will be resolved any time soon, as software development, implementation and testing can be an involved process."

This is the best answer I could hope for. A credible post in the Google Community says that "Android Auto CAN be scaled at any resolution / size / screen ... it is all down to the car's manufacturer to implement it properly, but this can be done." So hopefully it just needs a tweak to the parameters, not extended software development.

I want to give a shout-out to the customer service from MnSOFT (mapnsoft.com), the navigation software supplier. This issue wasn't their responsibility, but they escalated, got this reply from Hyundai Mobis, and have promised to stay on it and let me know of any follow-up.

Hyundai Motors USA's consumer affairs people, by contrast, were indifferent, incompetent or both. After several unresponsive email replies, they finally said, incorrectly, that "Android Auto is a product of Mapnsoft," so I should ask them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I totally agree with the original POST ... This is LUDICROUS ... and I place the blame on GOOGLE MAPS ENGINEERS. There SHOULD be a method allowed to go to FULL SCREEN to take advantage of the real estate on the 10.25" screens. But Google being Google, it will never happen. And as far as THAT'S concerned AA in general SUX big time IMO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I totally agree with the original POST ... This is LUDICROUS ... and I place the blame on GOOGLE MAPS ENGINEERS. There SHOULD be a method allowed to go to FULL SCREEN to take advantage of the real estate on the 10.25" screens. But Google being Google, it will never happen. And as far as THAT'S concerned AA in general SUX big time IMO.
I suspect it is Hyundai's fault, and a question of either time (needing AA in the new display for 2020) and/or money (might have to pay Google for the version modification). AA is capable of running in the full screen, and I expect it will eventually be done along with a future map release.

I love navigating with Google Maps in AA. The maps are always up to date, there's free real-time traffic, and sometimes it reroutes me around delays. It's especially great in rental cars, where even if there was a navigation system I couldn't learn it that fast. In a rental car heading back to Venice from western Croatia, Google Maps got us to a little-used border crossing on scenic mountain roads that looked like someone's driveway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been searching for why I can't have a full screen on Android Auto in my new 2022 Kona Electric Limited. The dealer rep and service manager have been working on it and have found the the Kona an possibly the Genesis have this problem, and they know of no solution 'That's just the way it is'. Does anyone know of a solution? How do I put pressure on Hyundai to fix this?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Nope, its one less point of noise for my chromesthesia to react too.
Interesting, never heard of this.

So is this what you see? Is it opaque, and is in front of regular daily sight, so it blocks you driving or is it semi opaque so you can see through it sort of? Is it music only when it revels itself?

Does it look like this? I guess they are kind of the same, but different.

Dose it engulf your full sight or only in the peripheral or a set area in sight?

or this?

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
757 Posts

So is this what you see? Is it opaque, and is in front of regular daily sight, so it blocks you driving or is it semi opaque so you can see through it sort of? Is it music only when it revels itself?

Dose it engulf your full sight or only in the peripheral or a set area in sight?

or this?

Not quite either. Its hard to explain without people thinking your crazy. I try to describe the view as if my range of vision is like photoshop. Many different layers upon a base view. Some shapes and colors are separate, some on top of each others, and others blending together. Rarely they are reflective from left eye to the right, like shown in the video's. There are times where the colors/patterns/shapes block my view, but its rare, usually has some issues with my PTSD. Multiple loud alarms of different tones and frequencies from multiple locations at the same time can be overwhelming. Kinda like how epileptics have problems with flashing lights. I can and do drive with the radio on, but with 1 leg against the door as too feel the music, more than see the music. There are other learned ways to cope with excessive sounds/visuals, such as directive/selective hearing. Where you learn to block out repeating noises in a range of your view. The most difficult times to deal with are multiple conversations, concerts, and trying to sleep. Its best to talk directly at me, even if you wore a mask, its not necessarily about reading lips, but direct sound. If you talk to me facing away or to a side, but not directly, i probably won't hear you well, and will ask you to repeat yourself. Concerts are overwhelming, and thus i usually avoid them, or wear something like a blindfold to help reduce the visuals. I am constantly tired due to poor sleep, any noise lights up even with my eyes closed. I keep my room as dark as i can, tinting or blacking out LED lights found on tv/radio/computer. I've tinted my bedroom windows, and sleep with a special set of earplugs and a blind fold.

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
757 Posts

or this?

On a side note, many artists both music and paint have chromesthesia, or some variation of Synesthesia.
I have several types of synesthesia, but only chromesthesia is problematic. Here is a short list of famous people with chromesthesia:

Billy Joel, Vincent Van Gogh, Jimi Hendrix, Billie Eilish, Duke Ellington, Tori Amos, Pharrell Williams, Anna Akana, Jack Coulter, Hans Zimmer, Lorde, and Gwen Stephani.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Very interesting. Did you have this growing up, like I can remember some stuff when I was 6, do you rember having it way back at that age or did it progress with age? Seems very burdensome to say the least. Does it correlate to some cross advantages of savantism? They see colors and shapes. Do you have a photographic or near memory? How are you with extreme advanced math? How does alcohol or pot affect it?

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
757 Posts
Very interesting. Did you have this growing up, like I can remember some stuff when I was 6, do you rember having it way back at that age or did it progress with age? Seems very burdensome to say the least. Does it correlate to some cross advantages of savantism? They see colors and shapes. Do you have a photographic or near memory? How are you with extreme advanced math? How does alcohol or pot affect it?
As far as i remember, i've always had sound to color visuals. Only got worse with excessive stress, or noise, specifically after 9/11. I do have near perfect recallable memory of certain events. Usually high stress events, to the point where i can rewind the memory, notice details previously missed, and almost an excessive amount of situational awareness. As for math, basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, roots, solutions to pi, truth tables, calculus I'm horrible at. However, advanced physics, engineering, biochemistry, i can usually figure out with pen and paper, not sure how, just alway been good with it.

Would i be considered a savant, no. More like a person with a miswired brain, or an extra perceived sense, or a continuation of a previous sense. If that makes any sense. As i have no off switch to how i see/hear things, i don't know what regular perceived senses are supposed to work, and how.

As for Pot, i've tried it a few times, and always made me sick and dizzy, so i avoid it. As for Alcohol, no effect, other than being a happy/funny drunk.

There is lots of other things wrong with me, but i am what i am, and do what i do, and just figure it out as i go.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Thanks for sharing this, I find it very interesting how the human body works and things like this, that deviate from so called normal....what ever "normal" is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts