Hyundai Kona Forum banner

101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
2019 1.6T AWD, only about 320 miles on the odometer :D

Sitting at paltry 25MPG computed so far lol. But it is NY (land of lead feet)... and winter....

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Using 91 octane and still averaging around 37 miles per gallon combined.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry it's possible I'm just terrible at searching but... what apps or utilities are folks using to track their milage & fill-ups and plot fancy-pants graphs, etc? This vehicle is triggering some new levels of OCD for me and with folks claiming dang-near 40MPG it's just intensifying the effect haha. Thanks

·
Registered
268 Posts
Almost a year, 3400 miles, mostly city driving gets 25+ mpg. Today took 110 mile highway run and got 37 mpg at 65-68 mph. Half with a/c on, only seemed to make a few tenths of mpg difference. AWD sel 2.0 .

·
Registered
46 Posts
I drive in sport mode all the time but use cruise a lot as well.
Avg between 25 to 30 mpg a tank. I hand calculate but I have noticed the computer is normally only about 1 mpg on the generous side.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Use a little notebook and pen ! Stick in center console and keep history of all items, tire pressure, fuel, service, etc with date and miles. A little notebook can hold probably over a decade of history and still not full. No batteries, no problems, always easy access. Even a good selling point if you do sell the vehicle down the road.

·
Registered
2019 SE sonic silver
71 Posts
With 4,300 miles on her now (2.0 SE), I AVG 32-34 mpg city, and 42-47 highway speeds, with my highest ever of 54.4 mpg driving through PA! (Recorded that For just over an hr) If I'm running ac, I get around 30-32 mpg city, low 40's at 50 mph +

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2019 FDW 1.6 Limited. That means I have the dual clutch trans with turbo....2100 miles so far.....and I live in Atlanta. 22 mile commute...AWFUL traffic at least 11 of those miles each way..... I’ve tried using the normal driving trans position, but in traffic I really need more power quickly, so I mainly use the sport mode. I REALLY love the way the car performs in that mode! So much better than normal mode! But in city MPG suffers....I’m getting between 25 and 28 MPG in sports mode on my daily commute......when do others use sports mode? Just curious.....I’d love to get better mileage, but really don’t like normal mode for city driving.....

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 2019 FDW 1.6 Limited. That means I have the dual clutch trans with turbo....2100 miles so far.....and I live in Atlanta. 22 mile commute...AWFUL traffic at least 11 of those miles each way..... I’ve tried using the normal driving trans position, but in traffic I really need more power quickly, so I mainly use the sport mode. I REALLY love the way the car performs in that mode! So much better than normal mode! But in city MPG suffers....I’m getting between 25 and 28 MPG in sports mode on my daily commute......when do others use sports mode? Just curious.....I’d love to get better mileage, but really don’t like normal mode for city driving.....
I drive a similar commute not quite as bad of traffic because I go into work early enough to avoid it, and get similar results using sport mode. My morning commute is usually around 26 minutes and I'll get around 30 MPG avg on the trip computer. My afternoon commute home is typically 10 minutes longer and the trip computer will show 26 MPG avg all in sport mode.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I also don't drive my car for MPG, when I go to pass etc... I floor it, and traffic around here is very aggressive and typically runs 8 - 10 MPH over the limit, if you don't do so as well you will get run over...

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm closing in on 10k miles on the odometer in a bit over a year of ownership now. According to the car, I've average just over 31mpg total. I've also been doing manual calculations at each fill up. A recent tank was all in town short distance trips and gave me an average of just over 27 mpg, which is pretty good for that situation.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Averaging 36 mpg by car's numbers, but 33 mpg by my calculations. Lots of rural driving. Mostly econ mode. Some quick starts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For all that have more than 28 mpg go to service, there is an update for lambda. I went form 38 to 28 after update. In crowded city traffic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 2019 Kona Preferred 2.0L a couple months ago (in Canada). I enjoy the vehicle, but I have been comparing my actual calculated fuel consumption with the fuel consumption displayed on the instrument panel, and found a significant difference. It looks to me as if the actual consumption is about 10% higher than the displayed consumption. I realize I cannot be certain that the tank contains exactly the same amount of fuel after each fill, but over five successive fills, it should average out fairly closely, I think. Also, since the speedometer overreads by 2-3% compared with GPS speed, the actual distance traveled is 2-3% less than shown on the vehicles display, which further exaggerates the vehicle's fuel consumption figures.

I began to get suspicious when one 300 Km / 200 mile trip resulted in fuel consumption of 5.6 L/100 Km, or just over 50 mpg. That seemed a bit optimistic, so I began tracking and comparing actual fuel use.

Has anyone else noticed this, and is this normal? Sorry if this has been discussed in a previous thread. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2019 White Ultimate
252 Posts
I'm a big advocate of using Fuelly to track your fuel economy, as tracking the data could give you some indication of slowly induced mechanical problems
This is mine right here

1) I agree that the hand calculated consumption will always be more than the instrument panel. There are many factors to this including idling time etc.
2) GPS speed cannot be taken as gospel. GPS relies on satellite triangulation, not necessarily taking into account changes in elevation. What I mean is even though you may be driving on one stretch of what looks like flat road, the position of the satellites could be doing a calculation of you travelling upwards towards one or two of the satellites.
3) While you are moving, so are the GPS satellites. I don't believe current technologies are perfect to account for this.
4) GPS speeds will always be lagging due to signal travel times.
5) I have noticed the speed on my HUD (I have an ultimate) also has a few percentage discrepancy with the speedo gauge.
6) Speedo differential could also be due to changes in tire size / manufacturer calibration.

101 - 120 of 127 Posts