Hyundai Kona Forum banner

81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
So my V6 VW Touareg gets 12L/100km, the Golf TDI(emissions scam car) got 6.3L/100km and the Kona after almost 3K km gets 7.4L/100km.

I am more than happy with my choice...1.6 Turbo Kona

·
Registered
223 Posts
Took my Kona on a vacation road trip this week. My manual calculation on fuel economy indicate numbers as high as 41mpg on that trip. That was at high elevation, which I would have expected would have hurt fuel economy.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Whoo ha!!!

Great milage Sarkus!!

Blessings and Peace

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Well, filled up this morning after church and the average was 39.6. We are really happy with the Kona all the way around.:smile:

Blessings and Peace

·
Super Moderator
1,146 Posts
Well, filled up this morning after church and the average was 39.6. We are really happy with the Kona all the way around.:smile:

Blessings and Peace
Wow... you must not be having much fun with that kind of mileage.... or is it all downhill ? :surprise::wink::smile_big:

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Actually, my wife drives it mostly back and forth to work. She drives a speed limit and uses rural routes and access roads. She drive 44 miles each day. I can usually do a little better (competing so to speak) when I get behind the wheel. :wink: We drive conservatively but not like "gramma and grandpa either." We really don't need to push the Kona very much. It accelerates well at stop lights due to the torque it produces and is nimble and responsive even in normal mode.

I've added a K & N and used Prolong oil additive and the mileage jumped from a normal 36 mpg to nearly 41 mpg on a average. We've never gotten below a 36 mpg so far even driving it harder.

A Vivid Racing VR Piggyback Tuner is in the works right now, with a power pedal also. It may help some more in economy mode but I'm not expecting it. It's for the horsepower boost mainly and the power pedal is for accelerator responsiveness. I'm going to try a 3" Shark Racing Intake also along with a custom made turbo manifold and down pipe. Should be able to push the whp to around 240 I hope. It will probably hurt the gas mileage but not by much if I can keep my foot out of it.:grin:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
last tank was 29.8. Car's mileage calculator is definitely off by about 2 mpg. It said 32 mpg when I filled up. Fuelly.com said 29.8
Looks like that is what I'm going to average which is FANTASTIC since it's mostly city driving, with a little highway when I drive to the gf's house. That just a 2 lane road with a 55 mph speed limit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm still averaging 36 mpg over all on road trips with my SEL AWD of four months, and on a few trips to hiking spots I've gotten 41 mpg if I catch all the green lights. As I've said before, I do adhere to posted speed limits, but really enjoy some nice curvy stretches that allow 65 mph...it handles snake-like curves with confident fun! I consider driving my Kona a real nirvana experience...:smile_big:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I find the mpg really shines when you're on trips longer than about 10k or 6 miles, and don't hit many stops. Esp with premium fuel and driving about 75kph or 45ish mph

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well, 900 miles now, and milage jumped up to 32.8 mpg locally ! Like a 7 mpg jump from last fill. Actually calculated, Kona had 26.5 mpg estimated ? Next tank will really be a thrill to see !

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Good to hear it hamjp. I hope it gets better for you over the long run.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
DTE USA ( local rep) said their is no way Hyundai can see THEIR unit if it was on and taken off. He even said Audi could not and did not see he had one on his Audi when he brought his car in for warranty turbo repair that was not related to the DTE. Talk is cheap, we will have to wait and see if someone does get a DTE and brings it in.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Actually, my wife drives it mostly back and forth to work. She drives a speed limit and uses rural routes and access roads. She drive 44 miles each day. I can usually do a little better (competing so to speak) when I get behind the wheel. :wink: We drive conservatively but not like "gramma and grandpa either." We really don't need to push the Kona very much. It accelerates well at stop lights due to the torque it produces and is nimble and responsive even in normal mode.

I've added a K & N and used Prolong oil additive and the mileage jumped from a normal 36 mpg to nearly 41 mpg on a average. We've never gotten below a 36 mpg so far even driving it harder.

A Vivid Racing VR Piggyback Tuner is in the works right now, with a power pedal also. It may help some more in economy mode but I'm not expecting it. It's for the horsepower boost mainly and the power pedal is for accelerator responsiveness. I'm going to try a 3" Shark Racing Intake also along with a custom made turbo manifold and down pipe. Should be able to push the whp to around 240 I hope. It will probably hurt the gas mileage but not by much if I can keep my foot out of it.:grin:

Blessings and Peace

Isn't 240 past the OEM cast piston and OEM rod limit? I heard 220hp was the safe limit. Plus can the Kona turbo setup even push that much boost vs the 201 hp turbo that can, or so they say?

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Well with just the piggyback DTE unit, whp is at 215 hp. The same 1.6T Gamma Veloster unit with tune, intake, custom turbo manifold and larger intercooler is pushing over 250 with no ill effects on rods or pistons. There is another piggyback tuning company that claims better than 230 with the the tuner and no ill effects. I not aware of any printed or published OEM Rod or Piston limits specified by Hyundai. I do know the only difference in the 1.6T Gamma engine in both, is the tune.

Blessings and Peace

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Both units (DTE and VR Tuner) are easy to hide and even easier to remove before a service. They modify the ECU signals after the ECU so there is no trace and nothing to detect. Even if they knew you installed one and it wasn't hooked up in-line directly with the ECU, there's nothing they can do. The VR Tuner has a DIN Plug that disconnects the unit from the ECU in less then a minute. The wiring harness remains but you just pull out the unit and replace it with the DIN plug.

They'd have to know you installed it first and then be able to identify it. Even then if it's not hooked up they can still can't do anything. There is nothing traceable on the ECU because it doesn't direct modify the ECU. Re-flashing the ECU does, the ECU has a flash counter and it's checked for the number of flashes currently authorized by Hyundai for their own upgrades.:wink::smile:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Well with just the piggyback DTE unit, whp is at 215 hp. The same 1.6T Gamma Veloster unit with tune, intake, custom turbo manifold and larger intercooler is pushing over 250 with no ill effects on rods or pistons. There is another piggyback tuning company that claims better than 230 with the the tuner and no ill effects. I not aware of any printed or published OEM Rod or Piston limits specified by Hyundai. I do know the only difference in the 1.6T Gamma engine in both, is the tune.

Blessings and Peace

You would find Hyundai publishing or printing figures on migration of ants in New York City before you would find them post specific limits on their "pushed" by a Tuner pistons and connecting rods. :smile: I was asking and not stating that figure. I forgot who I talked to but maybe the figure I heard was 220-230hp was the safe limit where you did not have to worry about blowing it up, after that point your safe zone has been past. I asked because I know you have looked into a tune by every known Hyundai tuner. I would question going over 250whp would be safe with cast OEM pistons and stock rods.

These are not that impressive of rods for high HP/heavy boost. Thank God for LSPI oil. Sure would be nice if Hyundai would of shot-peened all turbo rods, but that's just dreaming.

2011-2016 Elantra 1.6 Piston and Connecting Rod Set - Shark Racing

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've been reading a lot about using 2 oz of Acetone per 10 gal of fuel. There have been any number of "unofficial" experiments with a variety of car models. Most demonstrate a small increase in mpg and a very, very few complain of problems. Most of the reports are anecdotal as no one has done a true scientific study. So I was wondering if anyone here has tried this, either with the Kona or another vehicle.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've been reading a lot about using 2 oz of Acetone per 10 gal of fuel. There have been any number of "unofficial" experiments with a variety of car models. Most demonstrate a small increase in mpg and a very, very few complain of problems. Most of the reports are anecdotal as no one has done a true scientific study. So I was wondering if anyone here has tried this, either with the Kona or another vehicle.
According to snopes this is untrue. I would not recommend putting anything in the tank that you could get from the health & beauty section.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Boom!!!!

Don't ever put Acetone in your vehicle. Acetone is strictly a solvent and not a fuel additive. It has a very low volatility range. You're asking for trouble with pre-ignition, which leads to a quick death for any engine. A mixture of this in your fuel will cause untold damage to your oils viscosity and in turn engine parts. Remember GDI's have oil dilution. Mix Acetone and fuel properties with your oil and it now becomes even worse.

I will say this if you decide to put Acetone in your fuel; you'll be the first here with a blown engine, guaranteed.:wink: These individuals are just looking for someone to be a guinea pig for their own brash ignorance.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
268 Posts
2.0L Update on miles, 1400 miles now and still 26-27 mpg . Have no idea how the 32 mpg happened, or maybe I did more highway travel on that tank ? Kona mpg is mre like 2 mpg high as read out so far ? Most of my driving is 35-45 mph range.

81 - 100 of 127 Posts