Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the release of the Kona EV in the U.S., selected states, this could help others to know how pricing by dealerships is shaking out. You may have heard, some dealerships are marking ip as much as $8k over MSRP, due to demand and availability.
I had to go out if state to find an available Kona EV, found at a dealership in upstate New York.
They only had one, but it was the Kona EV limited in the color I wanted:
MSRP: $43,330
I was able to get a true car discount and military discount,
I paid $40,318.50 and should get $7,500 federal tax credit
Making final cost: $32,818.50, and of course transport to Florida $750
My quest for a non-ICE, or EV was part of my overall plan, as I had put SOLAR PV system on my home, planning to put this excess free
Energy into a vehicle, for not only clean, but FREE driving.

What about everyone else? Excited, looking? Have you bought an EV? Do you want tge Kona EV?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just ordered a red on black roof preferred model here in Canada. Total retail before tax and federal rebate was $46904 Canadian dollars.
Negotiated for $45815 , or $41390 after our $5000 federal rebate (really $4424 before tax). Which looks like around $30800 in US dollar at today's exchange rate. These are of course before sales tax prices. It was an interesting buying experience. Had one dealer who would not sell me an ultimate on the lot for any price. Another would sell me an in stock ultimate at MSRP + $1200 to have it shipped to me and finally my final effort resulted in 2%+invoice which I thought was fair for vehicle that is yet to be built. Ordering the preferred over the ultimate saved me almost 10K Canadian after taxes. The sun roof, bigger nav screen, LCD driving lamps, HUD, and cooled leather seating just did not seem enough to justify the 10K premium over the preferred.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry I just saw second part to your question. Yes I did want an EV to replace out civic. This will be out first EV experience we are totally bypassing PHEV or hybrid options. Our main criteria was range as we need at least 300km and it looks like it should be able to meet that even during our cold winters with some care. I was initially looking at the Tesla model 3 and was excited to see the Kona as an alternative as the Leaf and Bolt were not rocking our boats. We also have off grid solar setup at one or main destinations. At the moment it would support limited level 2 charging, but we live in a province that derives almost all of its electricity from hydro electrics and power is relatively cheap and clean.

·
Super Moderator
810 Posts
I just ordered a red on black roof preferred model here in Canada. Total retail before tax and federal rebate was $46904 Canadian dollars.
Negotiated for $45815 , or $41390 after our $5000 federal rebate (really $4424 before tax). Which looks like around $30800 in US dollar at today's exchange rate. These are of course before sales tax prices. It was an interesting buying experience. Had one dealer who would not sell me an ultimate on the lot for any price. Another would sell me an in stock ultimate at MSRP + $1200 to have it shipped to me and finally my final effort resulted in 2%+invoice which I thought was fair for vehicle that is yet to be built. Ordering the preferred over the ultimate saved me almost 10K Canadian after taxes. The sun roof, bigger nav screen, LCD driving lamps, HUD, and cooled leather seating just did not seem enough to justify the 10K premium over the preferred.
Congrats.. seems like a descent price as well considering supply and demand for these..

·
Registered
101 Posts
What province are you in? I am in BC and they only had Ultimates in stock, no Preferreds. And they couldn't give me an estimate on when I might receive that order (sounded like late fall at the earliest). What ETA did they give you?

So I bought an Ultimate (red) and took delivery on May 1 (when the fed subsidy came into effect). So combined with the 5K BC subsidy, I got 10K off the MSRP (52K). They also gave me a very good trade-in price for my 5 year old Prius (60% of what I paid for it), so was quite happy with that. Helps that our gas prices here in Vancouver are the highest in North America. BEVs of any brand are pretty well sold out here in BC right now.

Been driving the Ulitmate for 3 weeks, and like it more and more as I get used to it. Nice to have that long range, 415 km spec, but mine showed 450 when I picked it up at the dealer. And love that 291 ft lbs instant torque. We have lots of free chargers all over here, so that is another big plus.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

New member here. Just looking to see if anyone has updated OTD pricing on the Kona EV. We're looking to pull the trigger but want to make sure we have the most up-to-date price everyone is paying.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
7 Posts
With the release of the Kona EV in the U.S., selected states, this could help others to know how pricing by dealerships is shaking out. You may have heard, some dealerships are marking ip as much as $8k over MSRP, due to demand and availability.
I had to go out if state to find an available Kona EV, found at a dealership in upstate New York.
My quest for a non-ICE, or EV was part of my overall plan, as I had put SOLAR PV system on my home, planning to put this excess free

What about everyone else? Excited, looking? Have you bought an EV? Do you want tge Kona EV?
In July I paid $35,986 (SEL model) minus the $7500 tax credit, minus $500 Allstate Bonus Drive rebate. So that equals $27,986. This price doesn't include my trade in. That was at FreeholdHyundai in New Jersey. Multiple dealerships had this car. Very easy purchase for me. I was also looking at the Model 3 but when you run the numbers... the price wasn't even in the same ballpark. The $7500 tax credit makes it a pretty purchase. Model 3 does not have the $7500 tax credit any longer. I think is is now $1875.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
How did you get the TrueCar discount? The Kona EV is not even listed in TrueCar, when I try to look up the pricing for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

New member here. Just looking to see if anyone has updated OTD pricing on the Kona EV. We're looking to pull the trigger but want to make sure we have the most up-to-date price everyone is paying.

Thanks everyone!
Purchased in Colorado 2 months age and paid full price $40k. No deals because of availability.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ran into the same problem with TrueCar, they don't yet have the Kona EV listed on their site (major oversight). However, Kelly Bluebook does and when the dealers started contacting me, I just told them that I was interested in the EV and they adjusted accordingly. I'm in NH and technically Hyundai dealers were only allowed to sell in all surrounding states only, Maine, Massachusetts and Vermont, except for one dealer in Hampton, NH that said they were the only ones that sell the EV in NH. I looked online and found one dealer advertizing really low prices on the Kona EV and I used that as leverage for other dealers. It seemed like as long as I was patient, the prices kept coming down. As most sites have said (consumer reports, kbb, etc.) best time to buy is Oct, Nov and Dec. late in the month. It definitely paid off for me with a dealer in Westbrook, Maine. If you are in New England, they will most likely give you the best prices. I got a Kona Electric Limited with mud guards and carpets for $39,865. With the $7500 rebate that would be $32,365. The salesman mentioned to me the reason: When Hyundai was coming out with the EV, they invited U.S. dealers out to the factory in S. Korea to see it. His dealer's owner was the only one that went in N.E. so I think he got a better deal than most (possibly, just speculating here). Also, I didn't qualify for any of the rebates listed; Military, previous Hyundai owner or recent college grad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Double checked my price and it was 38,365.00. Extras were Carpeted floor mats, cargo tray and mud guards.After taxes it was a little over 40,000.00. Will get 5000.0 from Colo. and 7500.00 from Fed. Absolutely love this car. Had a leaf for 7 years and the tech has advanced by leaps and bounds. By the way, my Kona EV was brought in from Danbury CT. The dealer brought in three and they all sold while we were buying ours. Ours is the SEL model. Black Beauty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts