Hyundai Kona Forum banner

We're Getting Their Attention

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Starbird 
#1 ·
So, I was driving through town the other day, stuck in the slow lane where everyone was content to just tootle along 10 kph under the speed limit. Drives me crazy to drive slow if there's no valid reason, so....I scooted into the hammer lane and left the pack behind, while not exceeding the posted by TOO much. (90 kph speed limit).

I look in my mirror and see an suv with a Porsche crest closing fast. I get back in the granny lane and a Cayenne goes flying by at lose-your-license speeds. Then he was on the brakes hard for slow traffic up ahead, have to love karma sometimes. 😁

I've actually been noticing this a lot lately, where other 'performance' suvs and hot hatches have to engage in the proverbial pissing contest when they hear and see the KN go by. I guess we should be flattered? Even if some may be faster, we still win. Just ask them how much they're paying for the privilege of their Teutonic pedigree. 😗 When I had a 944 many years ago, I learned the hard way that Porsche ownership can be a VERY negative experience.

Anyone else been experiencing having the gauntlet tossed down?

#3 ·
Oh, absolutely.

The latest the other day - I pulled up at a red light and an Audi Q5 sport pulled up behind - then he realised there were 2 lanes through the junction and for about 400ft beyond before it merged back into 1 lane again so he pulled out and into a position beside me in the 2nd lane and was "creeping" waiting for the lights to change.

I did not even bother with "N" mode - the lights changed to green and, let's just say he was embarrassed - I had to be a bit careful as it was in a 40mph limit!

Probably another 0.2 mm off my front tyres!

#5 ·
Oh, absolutely.

The latest the other day - I pulled up at a red light and an Audi Q5 sport pulled up behind - then he realised there were 2 lanes through the junction and for about 400ft beyond before it merged back into 1 lane again so he pulled out and into a position beside me in the 2nd lane and was "creeping" waiting for the lights to change.

I did not even bother with "N" mode - the lights changed to green and, let's just say he was embarrassed - I had to be a bit careful as it was in a 40mph limit!

Probably another 0.2 mm off my front tyres!
Good for you! I find it irritating when someone tries to do this-I see them as the equivalent as butting in line at the grocery store. My engine break-in is almost complete, so I tried the car in N mode today. Holy Mackerel! And here I thought Sport mode was spirited. It's alarming just how fast you can get up to speed. I just LOVE the multiple personalities of this car. mild mannered Clark Kent one moment, man of steel Superman the next. 😎

#12 ·
I owned a 1966 Mustang Shelby GT 350. To this day I have never owned a car more track focused.
Currently I have a Porsche Macan along with the wife's Kona. For a midsized SUV the Macan is simply on another level.
Hyundia has done a great job with the Kona N. That Focus RS is a beast though. (smile)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.