Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I live in MA and got a 2018 Kona SEL a few weeks back so far put around 750miles on it and still in the break-in period.

Its a great car! Coming from a 2010 Mazda 3 its not a big change but enough to make me not go back to a lower ride car. :smile:

Anyways all things aside I have 2 sounds from my Kona which are slightly annoying:

1) There is a weird rattle sound coming from the front passenger side door /area. I thought it was the seat belts but that wasn't it. There is nothing in my glove box either...

2) There is an audible click/clank sound when I accelerate after starting up the car being parked for a while. Its definitely not from the suspension /control arms / bushings (i think), because it happens when I start accelerating on a start line too. But once the car gets going that sound never appears even if I come to a stop and accelerate. It is really perplexing...

I took it to the dealer but I didn't get any helpful diagnosis.

They both have no performance impact on the car but its certainly some annoyances from a new car :crying:

Anyone else encounter these sounds or have any idea what they might be?

·
Super Moderator
276 Posts
I have a rattle from my seatbelts unless they are in the top position.

Do you put your handbrake on when coming to a full stop?

Could be the shoes retracting when you move

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I don't put the handbrakes on when coming to a full stop, I don't put it on when I park it either.

I do feel that click/clank on the accelerator pedal.

Aren't brakes shoes for drum brakes? Mine are 4 wheel disc brakes unless my eyes are deceiving me. :p

·
Registered
273 Posts
No I don't put the handbrakes on when coming to a full stop, I don't put it on when I park it either.

I do feel that click/clank on the accelerator pedal.

Aren't brakes shoes for drum brakes? Mine are 4 wheel disc brakes unless my eyes are deceiving me. :p

Lots
of cars with 4 wheel disc have small drum brakes for parking.
Our 2016 Jeep Cherokee has them.

Try setting the hand brake at 1 click before you take off, be sure to release it after traveling a few feet...
If you can duplicate the trouble it makes it SO MUCH easer for the tech to find/fix the problem.

When my sun glasses are in the overhead storage with the lenses UP they the rattle sounds like yours.
I was ready to take it back till one day I wore the glasses and the sound was gone.

·
Registered
2018 Kona
14 Posts
Ditto to the above. I swore I had a rattle somewhere over in the passenger side, until I discovered it was my sunglasses in the overhead storage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Lots
of cars with 4 wheel disc have small drum brakes for parking.
Our 2016 Jeep Cherokee has them.

Try setting the hand brake at 1 click before you take off, be sure to release it after traveling a few feet...
If you can duplicate the trouble it makes it SO MUCH easer for the tech to find/fix the problem.

When my sun glasses are in the overhead storage with the lenses UP they the rattle sounds like yours.
I was ready to take it back till one day I wore the glasses and the sound was gone.
Ah I see, I did not know that. Thanks for sharing that info another new thing learned today :smile:

I tried your suggestion of putting the handbrake on 1 click and released it a few feet later... (Car was beeping crazily at me too).
But that didn't seem to help. I definitely agree if it is easy to duplicate it will be easy to explain to the tech to fix the problem but this click / clunk sound is definitely a weird one...

I don't have any sunglasses on the overhead storage so I don't think that is the cause of the rattling sound :grin:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ditto to the above. I swore I had a rattle somewhere over in the passenger side, until I discovered it was my sunglasses in the overhead storage.
I don't wear sunglasses so unless there is a mystery item in the overhead storage I dont think this is my cause of the rattling sound. Thanks for your input doe, I had to go double-check that the wifey didn't stuff anything in there :smile_big:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Once had a rattle with a gmc jummy, only when started up . Once moved not rattle. Dealer even took torque conver off to grind down welds, turn out to be the engine twisted with cold muffler suspension. Once the engine shifted back in place moving all gone. Took two years to figure that out. Best to have someone sit in passenger and try to pin point sound area ! good luck. Same sel and 800 miles , to rattles yet. One other point, under neath carrage cover/ black, has clips that are loose. Plastic, just push back up or twist in. Found all of mine loose from day one. Both sides. These are the removable covers for service. across each side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
bringing up an old thread but having same issue. OP did you ever find out what was causing that audible clank after the car sits awhile? gotta 2020 and it's happened since day 1. can feel it clank on the accelerator pedal too. only happens when the car sits for a bit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
bringing up an old thread but having same issue. OP did you ever find out what was causing that audible clank after the car sits awhile? gotta 2020 and it's happened since day 1. can feel it clank on the accelerator pedal too. only happens when the car sits for a bit.
This happens to me too in my 2019! Had to the dealer twice and they said they couldn't recreate it. They told me that it could the brakes seating.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts