Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 Kona SE AWD and have a problem with a Check Forward Collision Sensor error that happens infrequently. When it happens, you get a ding then on the dash in a large graphic "check forward collision sensor" then BANG the brakes are applied for a split second and the car violently drops into 4th gear and will stay in 4th gear until the car is shut of with key and restarted.
This has happened 9 times in the last 6 thousand miles. Been to the dealer twice and they cannot recreate the problem, so they can not fix anything according to Hyundai policy.
When this happens, its feels like a collision. It is scary and magnified at highway speed. It has happened at highway speed and low speed, both day and night.
Please respond if you are having similar problem so I can report to dealer.

·
Registered
333 Posts
It is clean and will do it with sensor turned off. Did it 2 times today.
If it was mine, I'd set up a camera of some type to record the dash while you drive, to record it the next time it happens, and every time after that.

This will also give you evidence for a lemon law claim, if the dealer continues to deny that there is an issue.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I get the Occasional Camera Blocked message. The one in the windshield. Might be fog?? Maybe your sensor is bad? Possibly Wiring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2020 Luxury model with 40,000kms and it does the exact same Bang but instead of the forward collision warning it’s the Blind spot detection system turning off before hand. It’s definitely amplified at higher speeds and seems to happen completely randomly. I’ve been into the dealer and had the same experience where they cannot recreate the bang and say there’s nothing wrong

·
Registered
151 Posts
My camera obscured light came on this morning.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am so feed up with this. Dealer for the 3rd time said come get your car there is nothing wrong. And hyundia has no record of this kind of problem.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Maybe condensation on the sensors?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Check this thread, very similar symptoms.
Just had this happen to me today 02/11/2020 on 2019 kona with 2.0L engine at 7 thousand miles. Dealer immediately said sounds like 'inhibitor switch', we have one in stock hyundai 427003b700qqh. They changed it, test drove it and sent me on my way. So far so good>

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Check this thread, very similar symptoms.
I printed many threads like this and took to dealer. It does look like the Inhibitor switch could be the problem. No code no fix, cant recreate problem no fix. When the problem happens I call dealer and they say I have to get a appointment I do then they say nothing is wrong. I have called Hyundai customer service got a case number but no help. I have asked for a quote to replace inhibitor switch with no reply. Need help !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Car back from dealer for 3rd time with no fix. I now have a case number with Hyundai and they are recommending that I take car to different dealer.

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After no help from dealer or Hyundai. I replaced the inhibitor switch myself. Very easy replacement and now after 2000 miles I have had no problems. I want to thank this board and its members. so far so good. Will update if I get to 5000 and no issues.

·
Registered
98 Posts
After no help from dealer or Hyundai. I replaced the inhibitor switch myself.
Did anybody document the replacement (DIY write-up) or at least the location of the switch? If it's such an easy fix for all of those symptoms, then someone who's done it should pay that knowledge forward to the community.
I did a search on "Inhibitor Switch" and there's no documented procedure.
(De we even have a DIY Section? We don't)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Only think I see listed as an Inhibitor Switch is the Transmission Selector Switch

Reactions: ChefroA6
1 - 20 of 24 Posts