Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally had time to install my Wagner Racing intercooler between my kitchen reno jobs the wife wants done. The reno work is taking me forever as I do this kinda stuff at work and hate to come home to it too.

I had to cut one of the "down struts" that come off the radiator side tanks that holds the OEM intercooler, to get the intercooler installed. The side tanks and ducting tubes are a bit too wide (by 1/2 inch) for the 1.6T Kona. The stock looking intercooler I had installed before the Wagner is actually a Veloster N OEM cooler I installed that doesn't have the built in restriction all 1.6T OEM intercooler's have designed into them.

The Wagner intercooler weighs 30 lbs so I wanted to add attachments to help hold the heavy intercooler when braking, accelerating, and side G force, as it is attached to the radiator side tanks. I also added some permatex high temp silicone to the lower shelf the cooler is sitting on to aid in holding the cooler too.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Grille Bumper

Rectangle Bumper Wood Office equipment Gas

Automotive tire Grille Road surface Asphalt Bumper

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Shelf

Grille Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

Grille Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Grille Hood Vehicle

Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Gas

Tire Automotive tire Hood Wheel Automotive lighting

·
Registered
Hyundai kona 1.6T 4x4 Premium black
25 Posts
Wow,you're a real expert,looks awesome! But can you tell what are the benefits of replacing to this intercooler?because I might think that this intercooler is designed to the 2.0T engine...

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Kona 1.6T has no aftermarket large intercooler for it. The Kona 1.6T has an air conditioning line in the way of the intake port to the intercooler. It has to have a 45 deg to the right and 40ish pointed down to clear it. None of the Elantra GT N-Line aftermarket intercoolers have that, they are all straight just like the exit tube of the Kona 1.6T. The Veloster N does, it has the proper Kona 1.6T intercooler configuration. Since I am one of the few highly modified Kona 1.6T owners in North America and farther, you have to get creative. I have rolled the dice with all of my parts as many companies say their Veloster N or i30N parts don't fit , but they really do fit, 95% did with ZERO modifications.

I have a TIG welder and "could" of modified it, but why when you can just buy one that has a 95% chance to work. The OEM Veloster N intercooler's mounting holes were only off by less then a 1/2 inch. Easy to "make it work", as I did to get rid of the restricted 1.6T intercooler. I needed a full 1/2+ the get the Wagner Racing intercooler to fit and the only way to do that was to cut ONE lower strut.

It makes no difference if it was meant for a 2 liter or a 1.6 liter. The side tanks are designed to flow air with less restriction, and there is plenty of cross flow running tubes to stop any form of restriction. Some Asian cars are running around with intercoolers "technically" that can flow for a 7 liter engine. I don't have to worry about intercooler heat soak anymore.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
does the bigger intercooler add any additional lag? i know the aftermarket for the mk7s gtis added some, but benefit was to be on boost longer i think
Yes a little, but I am not heat soaking as bad. I have better top end and a little less on low end. Perfect setup for the hybrid turbo hopefully this winter/spring.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes a little, but I am not heat soaking as bad. I have better top end and a little lose on low end. Perfect setup for the hybrid turbo hopefully this winter/spring.
actually i was trying to find a borgwarner e booster, i looked up hybrid turbo and it sounded like the e booster add on, but i cant find it and dont know if it really exists

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Hyundai Kona 1.6T is powerful enough. The engine is designed to work under certain maximum load. The engine made for Hyundai Kona N may look the same but it has different specs for the components. So, although it gives a good feeling to be able to modify the engine and add intercooler to increase the power at high revs but one must be careful.
Having said that, I appreciate anyone who is doing a modification as this requires hard work and improve technology.
Thanks for the details and the photos.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Hyundai Kona 1.6T is powerful enough. The engine is designed to work under certain maximum load. The engine made for Hyundai Kona N may look the same but it has different specs for the components. So, although it gives a good feeling to be able to modify the engine and add intercooler to increase the power at high revs but one must be careful.
Having said that, I appreciate anyone who is doing a modification as this requires hard work and improve technology.
the 1.6t is powerful enough for what exactly? nobody was comparing a 1.6t it to a kona n engine. and why must one be careful about adding an intercooler?

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
949 Posts

Some of us with the 1.6t are running alot more power than the N, Including myself. Just because an engine is built to OE specs, doesn't mean it cannot be improved upon.

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
949 Posts
I finally had time to install my Wagner Racing intercooler between my kitchen reno jobs the wife wants done. The reno work is taking me forever as I do this kinda stuff at work and hate to come home to it too.

I had to cut one of the "down struts" that come off the radiator side tanks that holds the OEM intercooler, to get the intercooler installed. The side tanks and ducting tubes are a bit too wide (by 1/2 inch) for the 1.6T Kona. The stock looking intercooler I had installed before the Wagner is actually a Veloster N OEM cooler I installed that doesn't have the built in restriction all 1.6T OEM intercooler's have designed into them.

The Wagner intercooler weighs 30 lbs so I wanted to add attachments to help hold the heavy intercooler when braking, accelerating, and side G force, as it is attached to the radiator side tanks. I also added some permatex high temp silicone to the lower shelf the cooler is sitting on to aid in holding the cooler too.

View attachment 7168
View attachment 7167
View attachment 7172
View attachment 7171
View attachment 7169
View attachment 7170
View attachment 7165
View attachment 7166
View attachment 7164

How does the front reinforcement fit with this intercooler? How is the pressure drop? how is the temp difference?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts