Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, potentially will be selling my '06 Wrangler JK and down sizing into something more fun as I age not so gracefully. Our other car is a 2021 CX-5 Kuro which we love, but at this stage if I buy am looking for a bit more fun/tech gadgety type of car. With 3 kids the Kona isn't the biggest vehicle, but from what I am reading the drive looks like fun, and lots of bang for the buck.

Been eyeing and will soon teset drive the N Line, interested in the Ultimate. Been doing tons of reading on the DCT's and have to admit I pause when reading of past Hyundai issues, but also reading it's a learning curve and something to adapt to. There will be bias here of course, but looking at what others thoughts were before you went out to buy the 1.6. Not looking at keeping this short term, have had my Jeep for 12 years.

Fire away...

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Kona N Line
8 Posts
Hello , just got Kona a week ago. Previously had the Elantra N line , the DCT is sometimes questionable , with the turbo lag sometimes just plain sucks . Driving pretty much in sport mode will be what i will be doing once 1000km breaking period is done . I have had many cars over the years - every car has something in plus and something negative it is what it is . Reading stuff everyday again positive and negative just confuses things . Just buy it and drive it period. Hyundai have come a long way and the have a very good warranty if needed . Hope this helps REDSFAN somewhat direct .This Kona love the AWD set up , hate front wheel drive . I will be adding the JB4 tuner which adds about 30HP and 30TRQ which made a difference in the Elantra bigtime , cant wait to put in Kona .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, and I hear you. I like to keep cars and drive them to the ground, so this is my issue. If it is a matter of getting used to things I can handle it, been driving a 4 speed Wrangler for well over a decade, and we all know Jeeps have their limitations, and you take the good vs the bad. Not sure I would want to drive in Sport Mode the whole time either, kind of defeats the purpose of having options and being forced into driving this way because of how the car drives. Does this not affect mileage, wear on the clutch, etc? Which province are you in? Do you the drive the Ultimate?

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Kona N Line
8 Posts
Thanks for the reply, and I hear you. I like to keep cars and drive them to the ground, so this is my issue. If it is a matter of getting used to things I can handle it, been driving a 4 speed Wrangler for well over a decade, and we all know Jeeps have their limitations, and you take the good vs the bad. Not sure I would want to drive in Sport Mode the whole time either, kind of defeats the purpose of having options and being forced into driving this way because of how the car drives. Does this not affect mileage, wear on the clutch, etc? Which province are you in? Do you the drive the Ultimate?
No - got the 22 N Line - the one NOT loaded . I can put my seat by hand no problem - couple of extra little gizmos . Hate leather seats so this was a good fit for me and my color

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Kona N Line
8 Posts
I’m in Ottawa

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Headed up to Ottawa on business likely next month, can you guys suggest a dealership to call ahead to in order to get pricing, possibly stop in to see while I am there? How do you guys like the drive so far? How many k's, impressions, pics?

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona
158 Posts
Headed up to Ottawa on business likely next month, can you guys suggest a dealership to call ahead to in order to get pricing, possibly stop in to see while I am there? How do you guys like the drive so far? How many k's, impressions, pics?
Try Surgenor (613) 741-1800. I have heard good things about the service and sales. Stay away from Bank Street and Pathway. You can try Harmony Hyundai in Rockland as well. I worked at that dealership and know the General Manger.

·
Registered
was: 2019 White Ultimate
345 Posts
With 3 kids the Kona isn't the biggest vehicle, but from what I am reading the drive looks like fun, and lots of bang for the buck.
Not sure how old/big your kids are but I would not throw three adult sized people in the back for more than a 20min ride across town. Also the trunk space with three kids' stuff is not the greatest.

I moved from a 2019 Kona Ultimate to a 2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid.
The Tucson size works better for my current stage of life and the Hybrid engine makes it lots of fun to drive, but not as golf-carty as the Kona for sure due to its size.

If you're going to a Hyundai dealership anyways, definitely take a look at the Tucson. If budget is your concern, the lower trim Tucsons are all the less powerful engine, but take a drive to see for yourself. The tech differences going from a '06 to your 21 CX-5 I'm sure you've already noticed. My buddy and I went to go see the CX-5 recently and it's just not comparable tech-wise to the 22 Tucson (specifically the higher trims with more tech).

For Tucson though, be prepared that the ordering process sounds like it's a year wait for the 2023's now based on the Tucson Forums I'm part of.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the ideas above. My kids are 12-20, tall but don't need tons of space outside of hockey. Anytime we still travel and need space the CX-5 works just fine, so me sizing down is maybe some sort of a mid life crisis again, lol.

I don't think the Tuscon would work for me seeing that I am in the more Sports mode of life, and a regular engine isn't what I am aiming at right now, so something along the budget/size of a Kona is the intrigue. If the CX-5 or CX-30 Turbo was in the budget for what I am looking at for a second car we would jump, as these things are fantastic and drive nuts. With all the tech/engine specs though you are looking at low 40K. Not jumping into anything quite yet, and will look to see what I can fetch on the Wrangler at the same time

·
Registered
was: 2019 White Ultimate
345 Posts
I couldn't even fit my golf clubs in my Kona without folding down a seat... good luck with hockey gear.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I couldn't even fit my golf clubs in my Kona without folding down a seat... good luck with hockey gear.
Not expecting much space to be honest, lol. As it is we need a seat down on our CX-5 in order to fit a couple bags and sticks. Not looking at this car for space...guess I have to see one myself to see if it's literally too small, or just small lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts