Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at getting a Kona EV, but sometimes I need to park at airports for extended periods. Does anyone know how much charge the car loses while left unplugged? I know Teslas are reputed to lose 1% charge per day. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
276 Posts
There will be some, Not as high as the Tesla however as it lacks the automated climate features.

Worse case install a battery disconnect switch on the negative side of the 12V battery.
They are super cheap and easy to use, great theft deterrent to!

You will have to open the the car using the key and lock the drivers door using the key afterwards.
But if there is no 12v the contactors can't be used and the pack won't drain.

There may be negative side effects on the pack if it gets too hot or cold, so something to check.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
Lithium ion batteries lose 2-3 % a month without any drain, depending of temperature.. eCars recommend no longer than 1 week without being plugged in for optimal longevity.. disconnecting the power cable on an eCar isn’t as easy or practical as just having a 12V battery. Not to mention you will have no alarm if you somehow manage to disconnect it. BMS keeps the batteries from freezing/overheating and needs to be active at all times.. eCars aren’t for everyone..

·
Banned
179 Posts
I’m looking at getting a Kona EV, but sometimes I need to park at airports for extended periods. Does anyone know how much charge the car loses while left unplugged? I know Teslas are reputed to lose 1% charge per day. Thanks!
Some of the passenger compartment features can be shut down with the flip of the switch in the inside fuse box. That will take care of a good amount of systems, but you cannot safely disconnect the main battery, doing so can cause all sorts of problems including voltage spikes that can harm computer components.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've never noticed significant drain. Maybe 1% at most. Have had the car for over 6 months and only drive during the weekdays, in the weekends it's mostly parked. Always topped up on friday and not connected to the charger on monday, still 100% regardless of the temperature.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
We have a Tesla dealership in a business park here in a Minneapolis second ring suburb by my work and they have off sight storage 1 mile from their sales site. They have about 50 Teslas in this parking lot and have to charge them through winter on a single post charger they have there which may have 2 plugs. They also do a high # of 3-4 caravan runs back and forth with these cars to charge of not to stagnate them in our cold winters. From what I see, what a "pain in the ars" having 50 cars to babysit. No Tesla shortage here in Minnesota.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
There is a switch on all Hyundais the is located in the fuse box just below your left knee. Pull the panel and you'll see it right in the middles of the fuse panel. It's there for long term storage or shipping. Just turn it off if the vehicle is going to be parked for awhile. This includes the EV. If you have any doubts just read you owners manual it will explain.:grin:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
There is a switch on all Hyundais the is located in the fuse box just below your left knee. Pull the panel and you'll see it right in the middles of the fuse panel. It's there for long term storage or shipping. Just turn it off if the vehicle is going to be parked for awhile. This includes the EV. If you have any doubts just read you owners manual it will explain.:grin:

Blessings and Peace
I found out about that switch the hard way on my 2013 Elantra ....for some reason it flipped by itself and all the electric stuff stopped. I brought it in under warranty and the order writer did not catch the obvious symptoms of a Hyundai yellow switch on OFF. I drive home from dropping it off and 20 minutes later they called and said it was fixed.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Video unavailable!:grin:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
42 Posts
An old thread but worth an update. Storage is definitely not an issue. I left my Kona sitting unused for four weeks. It had an 80% charge when I left and 79% when I returned, so the 1% per month figure looks on the money. The 12 V battery was being topped up from the main battery during that period.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts