Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. So I'm deciding to upgrade my dome, map, glove, license plate, and reverse bulbs to LED on my 2020 Kona. Most of them are easy to change(i think) but i know for sure the reverse bulbs and maybe even the license plate bulbs are going to be a b***h to change. anyone change their reverse and license plate bulbs to LED? was it easy? is it just a few screws? any tutorials out there? thank you! asking before i buy the bulbs lol

(below is the bulb size list i found online, i hope their the right size)

Dome Bulb - DE3175
Map Bulb - Couldn't find some I'm probably going to use DE3175, should be the same
Glove Bulb - 6418
License Plate - 2825
Reverse Bulb - 7506

·
Registered
18 Posts
License plate bulbs r easy. 2 screws and it pops out. Reverse bulbs r definitely harder. No way to explain how to do it but stick your hand up there and use a flashlight. Takes about 15 minutes for both lights.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
License plate bulbs r easy. 2 screws and it pops out. Reverse bulbs r definitely harder. No way to explain how to do it but stick your hand up there and use a flashlight. Takes about 15 minutes for both lights.
thank you! do i have to do any melding or anything to get to the reverse lights? or do i just stick my hand right up?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Drivers sides a straight shot and passenger side is easier if u remove the little plastic cover. Its 2 plastic push tabs and 1 10mm nut

·
Registered
357 Posts
Here are some pictures that might help.
JDM Astars 1156 Backups (7506) no need for a warning light as these are not ohm specific.

1st picture is driver side
2nd - passenger side in yellow you can see the back up light, Note- you have to maneuver in this small space and use 2 hands one on both sides of the bumper brace to get the bulb out
3rd- remove this to get access to this side as the exhaust tip makes the space smaller the other side you do not have this piece.

This can all be reached on your back or a lift as you look up they designed the cargo area away from the bumper cover.

Led Fogs since mine has Led headlight high and low combo and led DRL I found out that after installing these they do not need a voltage canceler using the LumaWerx brand. Basically the higher cost brands are designed with this built in, this would not apply to the SE/SEL model.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello...

Upcomfing new owner,

I am getting ready to change all bulb to LED I had adapted a few cars before with LED lights, and my background is electronics. So picking the right bulb is no issue, once I know what I need...

I am having a hard time figuring the bulb models to use for a Kona 2021. I see conflicting info , particurlarly on these subjects.

Here are extracts from the 2021 user manual section 8 (available on the Hyundai web site)

-

Where it gets cryptic is for the interior Festoon bulbs...

From my research on various vendor and user sites, I see conflicting info on the interior bulb size.

Vanity : There i see 28mm, 31mm, 36mm depending on where you look.
Trunk light: 28mm or 31mm(DE3175)
Dome light: 28 mm or 31mm
Map light : T10 thats stable everywhere
Glove box: 28, 31 or 36mm(6418)

Can anybody help on these dimensions ?

Tnx

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello...

Upcomfing new owner,

I am getting ready to change all bulb to LED I had adapted a few cars before with LED lights, and my background is electronics. So picking the right bulb is no issue, once I know what I need...

I am having a hard time figuring the bulb models to use for a Kona 2021. I see conflicting info , particurlarly on these subjects.

Here are extracts from the 2021 user manual section 8 (available on the Hyundai web site)

- View attachment 4522

Where it gets cryptic is for the interior Festoon bulbs...

View attachment 4523

From my research on various vendor and user sites, I see conflicting info on the interior bulb size.

Vanity : There i see 28mm, 31mm, 36mm depending on where you look.
Trunk light: 28mm or 31mm(DE3175)
Dome light: 28 mm or 31mm
Map light : T10 thats stable everywhere
Glove box: 28, 31 or 36mm(6418)

Can anybody help on these dimensions ?

Tnx

Additional info. After install.

Vanity: Definitively 28mm and make sure they are the pointed type, flat 28mm are too wide for the support
Trunk and Dome, 28mm pointed end did the trick. Plenty of space in the dome, easy to do, Trunk is also easy, pretty tight space for a bulb, choose a small one
Globe box:36mm pointed end. Had to force it and extend a bit the support, but at the end it fitted.
Map lights: Popped the lens, but the support of the lamp pusbhed back inside. Had to unistall the whole assembly (Relatively easy)
Front flasher: Easy, Canbus and resistor built in bulb did the trick.
Rear flasher: Tough access from under. They are just a bit further out and in the corner than the reverse ones,
Reverse light: Moderately difficult to install, I barely had long enough arms to reach and access.
Rear side marker, rear marker, licence plate: Easy
Front Halogen: Easy access from the wheel well, the Chinese Kona compatible lamp, was not ! Need the adapter that I do not want to use
Stop/Tail light light. Need Canbus and resistor. Did not find a good match yet

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Kona
104 Posts
Use the 36mm for the glove box. It's a little tight but it fits. The supplier had originally sent me the 28mm and it was way too short. 31mm is still too short and you do not want to bend the contacts that much inwards without casing damage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts