Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really wanted a two tone car but only the SEL without the tech package has it in the USA. I trying to find out if my warrantee will be voided if I have the roof painted. My salesman did not take me seriously and joked at my question. I wonder if anyone knows?

Thank you.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I wanted the same when I purchase my Kona on Friday and with the contrasting black roof it does not come with the tech package ..... So my friend is going to wrap my roof with high gloss black down to the a-pillars like this ..... I just got my windows tinted today so I'm hoping that'll look good

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm concerned because of what the salesman said about voiding the warrantee but feel he is wrong so inquiring further. I get my car Friday so we are both Kona newbies. I'll post what I find out. Thanks, love your car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think it only voids the warranty WRT that panel --the roof: From the manual I found online -- part 7 on exceptions

* Corrosion of body panels that have been previously repaired or refinished from the original factory finish after the date of retail sale, except for body panels repaired under this Anti-Perforation Limited Warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Painting Roof

Thanks for your reply. It helped me decide I will wrap the roof rather than paint. That will work to satisfy my "craving" for the two-tone coloring.

I picked up my car today and just LOVE it but then it did replace my 14 years old Subaru Forester which was getting tired.

Again, thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mechanical warranty shouldn't be affected by painting any part of the car. If you have sunroof and there are any leaks they might claim that the painting/sanding process is to blame, but even that is more like a judgment call.
I'd love to paint the roof white on our red limited, (think Mini Cooper style) but the cost could be $ 6-700 or more.
The other idea I just had if I could swap mirrors with a white Kona, both cars would look distinctive with a different color mirror.
I think the labor can't be more than 1-2 hours and after removing the inner cover the only tools needed are are Philips screwdrivers.
However, removing the inner cover to get access to the screws looks tricky, that is something I'd like to watch by a body man or Hyundai tech first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I have the best solution for you. I bought a new Kona Ultimate that I have not received yet. The roof is red and I'm going to put it black. I am going to wrap the roof in black at "MG Vitres Teintées Ltée" in Laval, Quebec, Canada. They will put a permanent black vinyl over the paint. Like this, my car will not lose its guarantee, will not be derpecied because it will keep its original painting. The original painting will be protected. Plus, it does not cost too much. The good companies I know who make this product is "3M" and "Avery". Look for "Wrap 3M" in Google. The most important thing is to find a good installer. My English is not perfect because I am a French Canadian. We speak French in the province of Quebec in Canada. It remains for me to choose whether the roof will be matte, gloss or satin. I will probably choice the "3M 1080 Satin S12". This is the best solution for the top of your car !!! Have a nice day !!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
So here's what I plan on doing; I'm going to have the outer roof rails from the front of the A pillar to the end of the spoiler wrapped in matte or satin black, keeping the white roof body color center section (no heat gain) and giving that two tone appearance from the side. I'll post the outcome with before and after photos when it's done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
AFAIK the only way your warranty could be voided is if the modification caused the failure of some part of the vehicle. Eg if the engine blew up, Hyundai could not blame it on you getting the roof wrapped,

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Don't paint anything. Roof wrapping is much easier and cheaper also. Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act will protect your investment in accessories and your factory warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wanted a two-tone roof also. My salesman did not know or at least I could not count on his answer. I called the main office and found out that if I paint the roof on my Ultimate I will void the original roof paint warranty which makes sense to me. I was told the original paint warranty lasts only 3 years anyway. The body shop that will paint the roof ($1,000) will warranty it for 3 years so I have nothing to be concerned about. After all my research I decided to leave the car as it is and save myself the money.

I did look into wrapping which would have been $600. It last for 5 years and then needs to be replaced or removed totally otherwise later then that it's very hard to remove. That's why I thought I would just spend the extra money and paint it. After all that I decided it's ok for now.

I love the car! It's fun to drive and all the safety features makes me realize what I have been missing in my 15 year old Subaru Forester. It's progress for sure.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Leaving the Kona as is is the best bet.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Don't paint anything. Roof wrapping is much easier and cheaper also. Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act will protect your investment in accessories and your factory warranty.

Yep, how things change when you start throwing the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, to the few people at the dealership that know it even exists. :grin:
I hear BS about adding a trailer hitch , I say look at the cars in Europe...same car. Sorry Manguson -Moss Warranty Act. You can't just void my warranty just like that when the same car tow far more then the common 1,500 normally the USA cars spec out for. But then again, I have not seen the manual ....do they say they "void trans warranty if a hitch is used??"

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
You need to actually read the actual Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. What you're saying just isn't in line with it. You also need to read the Hyundai warranty and the manual as well. Wrapping the top isn't modifying the paint, repainting is. Yes, they can void the warranty, if it's outside the specifications of the warranty or the towing capacity of the vehicle and it causes damage to the drive train.:wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts