Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering whether the bolts that hold the rear muffler and the smaller middle muffler together can be removed to essentially do a muffler delete. I really do not want to spend the money or mess with any electronics. Would anyone be against that?? Specifically in the blue circle area. What if I just disconnect it? Would that be an issue?

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
671 Posts
I was wondering whether the bolts that hold the rear muffler and the smaller middle muffler together can be removed to essentially do a muffler delete. I really do not want to spend the money or mess with any electronics. Would anyone be against that?? Specifically in the blue circle area. What if I just disconnect it? Would that be an issue? View attachment 5236
There is no hanger there. removing those bolts to the muffler assembly would allow your exhaust to bang the rear suspension and the ground, causing all sorts of damage. Also you will be dumping hot exhaust at your plastic gas tank, and you may smell exhaust in the passenger cabin. Best bet is to add a section of pipe to that flange, use one of the stock muffler mounts, and let the exhaust safely vent out the back of the car.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Purposely introducing an exhaust leak well under the car is a bad move IMO. I imagine some of the CO2 and other unsavory exhaust components are bound to find their way into the cabin
esp. when the car is idling. That is not so good for the health of the occupants. If you just want your exhaust "sound" to be louder, replacing the muffler with an aftermarket one may be preferable.
There are aftermarket mufflers that are made to sound louder / different.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Takeda sells several high performance "sport" mufflers with optimized "loud" sound. Check out the sound sample here:
Sound wise I think this would do what you want, and improve your performance slightly. the only negative is: it costs some money. ( $300-ish as I recall)

·
Registered
2021 Kona Limited
30 Posts
You may also be able to get a local (non-franchise) muffler shop to make you a straight pipe. Would be your cheaper option and still maintain safe removal of the exhaust.

·
Registered
15 Posts
very easy to remove, i think 19mm 3/4", and a bit of wd40 on the 3 rubber muffler mounts

I was wondering whether the bolts that hold the rear muffler and the smaller middle muffler together can be removed to essentially do a muffler delete. I really do not want to spend the money or mess with any electronics. Would anyone be against that?? Specifically in the blue circle area. What if I just disconnect it? Would that be an issue? View attachment 5236

·
Registered
22 Posts
So you want to make the car louder to sound aggressive even though it's still an ICE Hyundai economy car with an engine and transmission that deliver pretty limited HP and torque? If you want to feel you're in a 70s muscle car and want to get noticed, buy a 70s muscle car and ditch the Hyundai. I think the only notice you will get in a loud Hyundai was a leaking exhaust will be: 'why doesn't that a-hole in the Hyundai get his exhaust fixed'? But to each his/her own. If you want a more aggressive driving experience in a Hyundai, upgrade to the Kona Electric and give your neighbors some peace..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts