Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres one,2019 Kona awd got a flat ( rubbed curb blew tire front passenger) did not hit hard, put spare donut on drove about 5 miles under 50 miles per hr. started making noise bad. called tow truck brought to my dealer ship. they said car blew its front transfercase. has anyone heard of this happening before. they asked ware I got the donut spare from. It came with the car. Now they are having a hard time getting part. service man said it the first one he has seen. have read, you have to be careful with donut spares on awd that use clutch in there transfer case and the difference in size can be a problem. I really like to know has this happened before and is there a recall.

·
Registered
82 Posts
WOW !! That's a first on this forum but can understand how it can happen. Really unusual. Sorry for your misfortune.:cry:

·
Registered
823 Posts
The quick tape measure measurement of outside diameter of a 235.45 19 is 26.0 and the spare is 24.0.

I have ordered parts through USA dealerships that the parts are in Korea. It takes 2 1/2 weeksto get the parts to my door. That is how long you will have to wait unless you emergency air your part in at an extra cost to you. Please, for everyone's sake here get a long winded description on what went wrong. Make sure it was from the spare and not something else. Why and what broke and how did it break. Ask if they think if we used the spare to get off the hwy at 5 mph for 5miles if the outcome would be the same? Maybe it is just flatbed time and we can pull the spare??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
]cant say for sure it was the space. But the car was fine before flat.but was asked by service guy “ware did we get the spare?” not sure when the part will be in. I will post when i get more information

·
Super Moderator
354 Posts
Some owner's manual recommend not using temp spare on the front wheel of FWD. Kona AWD is 99% FWD most of the time. Kona doesn't have such warning.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Some owner's manual recommend not using temp spare on the front wheel of FWD. Kona AWD is 99% FWD most of the time. Kona doesn't have such warning.
If you have an AWD Kona in Sport Mode, you have a small form of AWD power transfer (95% front 5% rear) 100% of the time. There is no Hyundai documentation on this, but there is for a Toyota Rav4 and it acts 100% like a Rav4.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do believe that the reason the 2020 ultimate AWD came with just a inflation kit is because of the diameter of the 18" tires makes for an quite expensive doughnut spare to meet that larger diameter. I also believe that the AWD tires have to be kept to the same size at least on Subaru it's a fact.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I do believe that the reason the 2020 ultimate AWD came with just a inflation kit is because of the diameter of the 18" tires makes for an quite expensive doughnut spare to meet that larger diameter. I also believe that the AWD tires have to be kept to the same size at least on Subaru it's a fact.
All the Kona's came without the spare since 2018, it appears the ones who had them were dealer installed. The max size tire that can fit temp spare tub is 24 inches, and the running tire size of the Kona is 26.3, with the 25.7 size for the lowest priced stripped down Kona. With this incident, It appears the AWD system can't use a spare ( at least in the front position) where a FWD can. I looked in the manual and it has info on using a spare, but it doesn't call out any issues with use on the AWD model.

So until we hear differnt, if you get a flat on an AWD version a flatbed would be the best choice. Or call a friend or spouse to let the car sit on the side of the road while you go to the tire store to get the tire fix ASAP and go back to the car and reinstall the newly fixed tire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the results of the differential repair. We just got the car back and the service people could not give us an answer why it went out. They just said don’t use the donut for a spare and they did not give us an inflation kit. So if you get a flat, be on the safe side don‘t drive the car on a donut if its AWD. The final cost was 1800.00 for the repair witch the warranty covered in full and towing was included plus 8 days of a loaner care included. We had to pay for 2 new tires the one that blew out and a new one, they did not want to put a different size because of ware. So we are now looking For a rim to put the used tire on. As it only has 20000 mile on it with plenty of tread. That will be a good spare to go a few miles without destroying the diff. I will be calling Hyundai customer service National to find out the reason why ? And if there is a secret recall. The dealer ship ware we bought the car gave us excellent service. The first dealer ship we bought the car to Closest, to the break down not so much. They blew us off we had to have the car towed again to ware we bought the car. Luckily the towing company said the driver should have towed it to our dealer ship. And they paid for the second towing. Still don’t know why the car came with a donut spare I should not have.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Thanks for reporting back. Somehow the transfer case is taking output from the main differential and the matching output was from the smaller diameter spare side, so there must of been a speed differential between the two that busted up some gears in the transfer case. There is a chance if the spare was on the rear it could of not damaged the transfer case. We will never know unless we hear someone put a spare on the rear of an AWD Kona and drove a good bit without issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for reporting back. Somehow the transfer case is taking output from the main differential and the matching output was from the smaller diameter spare side, so there must of been a speed differential between the two that busted up some gears in the transfer case. There is a chance if the spare was on the rear it could of not damaged the transfer case. We will never know unless we hear someone put a spare on the rear of an AWD Kona and drove a good bit without issues.
I know on Subaru AWD the tires have to be all the same size but this is "all time AWD". If you get a "donut" temporary spare that is the same diameter as the running tires I don't think that it will fit in the storage well. I hope your right about putting it on the rear with sport mode off and AWD not locked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The report said the pinion gear was in peace’s when they drained the oil chunk of meatle came out. I will be calling Hyundai customer serviice this week

·
Registered
823 Posts
I know on Subaru AWD the tires have to be all the same size but this is "all time AWD". If you get a "donut" temporary spare that is the same diameter as the running tires I don't think that it will fit in the storage well. I hope your right about putting it on the rear with sport mode off and AWD not locked.
I know I will not use the spare, I will call the flatbed or jack it up on the side of the road and call my wife or an uber for me and the tire. I have a spare that came with my car since my car was one of 6 left in the USA at the time that was a Limited AWD and Silver. It came loaded with stuff that I wouldn't of ordered. I will leave in there, since it works with the foam insert below the hatchback floor to keep it from sinking in with weighted items.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I
I know I will not use the spare, I will call the flatbed or jack it up on the side of the road and call my wife or an uber for me and the tire. I have a spare that came with my car since my car was one of 6 left in the USA at the time that was a Limited AWD and Silver. It came loaded with stuff that I wouldn't of ordered. I will leave in there, since it works with the foam insert below the hatchback floor to keep it from sinking in with weighted items.
I hear you, Hyundai roadside assistance or Triple A when that runs out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts