Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 black kona limited
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was just curious since i just bought new tires, said they inflated to 33psi , after i got my car back i drove till tpms worked, and it shows 37 to 39 psi

·
Banned
1,848 Posts
i was just curious since i just bought new tires, said they inflated to 33psi , after i got my car back i drove till tpms worked, and it shows 37 to 39 psi
I would set your BFG's at 34-35 ish cold (set in the morning before driving) and they will go up to as high as 37 ish hot. 33 hot for that tire is too soft, you will roll the sidewall in hard cornering and wear the outer edge. Even with 1 deg neg camber.

·
Registered
2020 black kona limited
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would set your BFG's at 34-35 ish cold (set in the morning before driving) and they will go up to as high as 37 ish hot. 33 hot for that tire is too soft, you will roll the sidewall in hard cornering and wear the outer edge. Even with 1 deg neg camber.
ill set them tomorrow morning, each tire is a differrent psi lol, maybe they filled them before installing them

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes the 33 psi is for my cold pressure, and my tpms pressure is the same when cold, but yes when driving the pressure go up with tire temp

·
Registered
2020 black kona limited
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so apparently costco inflated my tires like this, fl 30 psi fr 31.5, rl 37psi and rr 39 psi lol, and they left that tire **** all over my rims im going back today to have them clean them, i set them to 34.5 psi and it handles amazingly well

·
Banned
1,848 Posts
so apparently costco inflated my tires like this, fl 30 psi fr 31.5, rl 37psi and rr 39 psi lol, and they left that tire **** all over my rims im going back today to have them clean them, i set them to 34.5 psi and it handles amazingly well
Sounds about right for quality control from Cosco/Sam's Club.

·
Registered
2020 black kona limited
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds about right for quality control from Cosco/Sam's Club.
its amazing how everything is sub standard now. ive always tried my hardest to be exact and correct in any job ive done. didnt matter how much i was paid.
so they get up to 38 to 39 psi since its always over a hundred here for the next month or so, should i set them lower?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not a pilot, but I think the truth is in the middle. Allegedly the benefit of nitrogen is what our friend GRNSHFT is saying…it’s more stable. It’s less prone to vary with temperature/atmospheric changes than air is. The idea is basically that you don’t have the huge pressure shifts with nitrogen that you do with air. I’m sure we’ve all experienced our TPMS going ballistic after the first cold snap of the year before. Basically nitrogen is supposed to prevent that sort of thing.

…but would I pay more for it? Eh, probably not. I’ve had cars with it before and I didn’t notice a huge difference. If a dealer or shop fills your tires with it for free, then cool. But I don’t think the benefits are dramatic enough to seek out or pay more for, if that makes sense.

…hope my response was adequate lol, clearly I’m not a scientist 🤣

·
Registered
2020 black kona limited
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not a pilot, but I think the truth is in the middle. Allegedly the benefit of nitrogen is what our friend GRNSHFT is saying…it’s more stable. It’s less prone to vary with temperature/atmospheric changes than air is. The idea is basically that you don’t have the huge pressure shifts with nitrogen that you do with air. I’m sure we’ve all experienced our TPMS going ballistic after the first cold snap of the year before. Basically nitrogen is supposed to prevent that sort of thing.

…but would I pay more for it? Eh, probably not. I’ve had cars with it before and I didn’t notice a huge difference. If a dealer or shop fills your tires with it for free, then cool. But I don’t think the benefits are dramatic enough to seek out or pay more for, if that makes sense.

…hope my response was adequate lol, clearly I’m not a scientist 🤣
i looked into it, it leaks 40 percent less than air, still has fluctuations with temp, i got it for free with new tires, ive had it before, never really seemed any different than non nitrogen although i think compressed air is 70 percent nitrogen if i remember correctly, so its always seemed silly to me. i watched some show that was talking about tires on planes and how ther are practically indestructible, i think it was some show on histroy channel about the guppy, now theres a plane bigger than the guppy , i dont believe they fly without magic dust lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
is nitrogen a gimmick? it came with the tires, pretty sure i know the answer lol
Normal air is about 70% N2. Typically a N2 fill is over 95% N2. Airliner tires require a N2 fill. Its benefits, for casual road use, is minor. It has a slightly lower leak rate than air. It also produces a slightly reduced rubber degradation since the rubber it leaks through is subject to less O2 oxidation. Once filled it can be difficult to maintain the N2 concentration due to few places having the equipment needed to provide enriched nitrogen fills.

It is true that some places may make exaggerated claims for its benefits in the effort to pay for the N2 enrichment equipment and its replacement cartridges.

Replacing the air in tires with greater than 95% N2 requires that they be filled and deflated around three times to bring up the N2 concentration to a reasonable level.

·
Registered
2020 black kona limited
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Normal air is about 70% N2. Typically a N2 fill is over 95% N2. Airliner tires require a N2 fill. Its benefits, for casual road use, is minor. It has a slightly lower leak rate than air. It also produces a slightly reduced rubber degradation since the rubber it leaks through is subject to less O2 oxidation. Once filled it can be difficult to maintain the N2 concentration due to few places having the equipment needed to provide enriched nitrogen fills.

It is true that some places may make exaggerated claims for its benefits in the effort to pay for the N2 enrichment equipment and its replacement cartridges.

Replacing the air in tires with greater than 95% N2 requires that they be filled and deflated around three times to bring up the N2 concentration to a reasonable level.
it was for new tires i bought, i still had the same psi shifts that i had with reg air, im curious now if they actually used nitrogen ill go inquire about it

·
Registered
86 Posts
Gasbuggy's the man.

Without mounting a tire in a closed N2 environment, you will always have "regular" air in your tires.

Every time I've seen a tire mounted, it has been in a non-controlled/non-nitrogen enriched environment. I'm sure that inflating with "pure" N2 will increase the total N2, but you still have "regular" air in the tire (moisture and other crap). I just don't know what N2 purity it takes to realize the actual benefits.

When has anyone ever witnessed a tire filled, evacuated without breaking the bead/seal, then re-inflated with N2 at a tire shop... much less a multiple vacuum/inflate procedure?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts