Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Dealer is going to have it installed, so they should have access to the instructions.

Thanks for the eBay link, I'll bring it with me tomorrow when I meet with them. I'd feel better if they installed an authentic tow hitch versus a 3rd party with lower weight.

I'm not using it for a camper or anything. It's just a small 2-wheel trailer that I use to cart around arcade machines.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dealer says installing the Australian towbar would void the warranty. I have to get a U.S. supplier. :mad:

Sigh.

I've emailed Hyundai NA and Hyundai AUS to see if there's anything they can do. I called Hyundai NA and the guy on the phone said he could see the part, but it wouldn't let him order one for the dealer.

This is just frustrating. I don't want a freakin' U-Haul towbar.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Additionally, I tried calling an Australian Hyundai dealer in Melbourne, and they told me they're not allowed to sell to Hyundai parts to the U.S. So much for ordering one anyway.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Curt Manufacturing, a US company, offers two Kona compatible class 1 hitches.

https://www.curtmfg.com/all-products/2018/hyundai/kona/

There was also a poster who said UHaul was able to install a universal hitch to their Kona.

As for your warranty, I don't know what to tell you other than that you were mislead by your dealer. For whatever reason Hyundai does not rate the Kona sold in the US as having a tow capacity and does for the one sold in Australia. I have a hard time believing the cars are actually different, but technically towing with the Kona could void the warranty. However, you can install tow hitches for things like bike racks and such, so they can't just assume you are towing large loads if you have a hitch on the car.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Dealer says installing the Australian towbar would void the warranty. I have to get a U.S. supplier. :mad:

Sigh.

I've emailed Hyundai NA and Hyundai AUS to see if there's anything they can do. I called Hyundai NA and the guy on the phone said he could see the part, but it wouldn't let him order one for the dealer.

This is just frustrating. I don't want a freakin' U-Haul towbar.
Ask your dealer what part of the warranty it would void, I bet you get a DUH :eek: for an answer.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Additionally, I tried calling an Australian Hyundai dealer in Melbourne, and they told me they're not allowed to sell to Hyundai parts to the U.S. So much for ordering one anyway.

There is a coercion of car manufactures in the USA to stop people from using tow hitches. They state in their manuals and as a company line "Not Recommended" which to you means it is ok in the USA since we have the Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act and they would have to prove the transmission went bad by towing something heavy. You want to tow a light utility trailer or MANY want a "bike rack". My 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT 1.8 liter said it could tow up to 1,500 with a trailer with brakes and 750lbs without. In 2014 the same car with the same body style with a high output 2.0 liter with almost 40 more HP said "Not Recommended" This was the turning year Hyundai started it;s move of coercion to "Not Recommend" hitches on small cars/SUV's. When the EXACT same world car in Europe can tow 1,500 lbs. The 1.6T Kona is speced for 2,800 in Europe and other counties.

As for a hitch, I recommend a Curtis hitch since they have the best anti-rust powder coating over U-Haul and Draw-Tie. I have a wiring thread on how to wire the Kona. IF a hitch would void warranty it would say IN LARGE TYPE " ADDING A TOW HITCH WILL VOID YOUR TRANSMISSION AND ENGINE WARRANTY" It says nothing of the sort, despite warranty fear mongers saying different.

·
Registered
227 Posts
@Mainia1 just wondering how to tell which has the better anti-rust powder coating? Also any word on a plug and play wiring harness from anyone....I don’t need the hitch yet but forsee a move to the country within a year or two and it would certainly be helpful then

Thanks for all the info you share by the way!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Curt hitch has been known in the industry to be one the best in overall quality. Go to a hitch place that displays all different brands and at least for me Curt comes out as a better design and a better powder coated hitch. You are in Canada you you may have another brand that does not make it to the USA to choose from.

As far as wiring harness Curt was working on it 10 months ago, they told me they located the plug ends and had to go through testing. I could not wait, so that is why I did my own "tap" in the wiring inside the car in the hatch back area with special high end wire taps that won't destroy the wire by hacking it up or manually trying to cut off the wire insulation. These wires are small so these wire taps are a must. IF a easy "plug & play"comes out I would advise to install the wiring before the hitch, because you reduce your access to the plugs with the hitch mounting brackets.

Here is my post on wiring up a heavy duty convertor for the Kona, with wire color call outs for tapping.

https://www.hyundaikonaforum.com/fo...sion/1112-trailer-hitch-convertor-wiring.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I can't get the dealer to call me back on anything. They tell me "We don't know, we'll call you back..." then don't.

So I called "U.S. Warranty," the company that handles the warranty part of my car. Their claims adjuster said that there's a specific clause stating that installing a towbar must be complaint with the manufacturer's recommendation, and in this case, it's "not recommended." So installing a towbar would void the vehicle's warranty.

So what the **** can I do? They flat out lied to me regarding the towbar, and sold me a car that I can't use. That was the ONE thing that I absolutely needed before buying the car, the one thing they assured me I could get after buying it.

Now what? It's not like I can return it to the store for a refund. I f*cking hate care salesmen. I specifically bought a new car this time so I theoretically wouldn't have to put up with this clown and circus bullsh*t.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I can't get the dealer to call me back on anything. They tell me "We don't know, we'll call you back..." then don't.

So I called "U.S. Warranty," the company that handles the warranty part of my car. Their claims adjuster said that there's a specific clause stating that installing a towbar must be complaint with the manufacturer's recommendation, and in this case, it's "not recommended." So installing a towbar would void the vehicle's warranty.

So what the **** can I do? They flat out lied to me regarding the towbar, and sold me a car that I can't use. That was the ONE thing that I absolutely needed before buying the car, the one thing they assured me I could get after buying it.

Now what? It's not like I can return it to the store for a refund. I f*cking hate care salesmen. I specifically bought a new car this time so I theoretically wouldn't have to put up with this clown and circus bullsh*t.
Just order the european oem tow bar and f$%? that ******* salesman. It's a hyundai Kona oem part there's no way hyundai would deny a warranty claim for fitting their own parts..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, today Hyundai refunded the full MSRP of the car plus my 5 payments and all the extras I paid for, even though I had already put over 6,000 miles on it. This was dragged out over 5 months, so I'm happy they admitted fault and took the car back. I should play the lotto because how often does THAT happen?

I wanted to go with the Crosstrek, but ended up getting a Santa Fe because finance was able to just move the lease and everything so I didn't have to bother with waiting for a refund check, doing another down payment, etc. It was also roughly the same price as the Crosstrek, but more comfort features. Better warranty, too. So I guess that's fine. Boy the extras are really expensive on the Subaru. They start off the same price, then just skyrocket.

Guess I'll head over to the Santa Fe Forum if it exists.

Thanks for all the feedback, good luck with your Konas.

Just order the european oem tow bar and f$%? that ******* salesman. It's a hyundai Kona oem part there's no way hyundai would deny a warranty claim for fitting their own parts..
It was a warranty / liability issue. If I installed an aftermarket towbar, then both Hyundai and the extended warranty company could deny any claim on any mechanical part of the vehicle. So if the clutch, transmission, breaks, or who-knows-what gave out, they could just say it was because I was towing something. Since it would automatically go to arbitration, I'd lose. I'd be giving up the warranty on the car if I installed the towbar, which isn't something I'm willing to do.

·
Super Moderator
279 Posts

Put the wheelchair rack on my factory kona towbar, Looks and works awesome.

The rack weighs 28KG (60LBS) and has about 56KG (120LBS) on it.

Had to adjust the number plate mount to make it not scrape over speed bumps, but all legal and happy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just had added by my car mechanic the CURT class I (one and a quarter inch) hitch and the plug and play wiring package listed above. One never knows what might come up so I had the 4 to 7-wire round adapter mounted on the back fender. Taking the hot (black) wire I had the fifth wire of 7 give me 12+volts off the fused batterie. I needed that to power a stand alone CURT plug in and play (app software) "break controller" that creates a blue 6th line out. I chose to leave center open. Then to complete the set I purchased the 7 back to 4 plug in converter. My last car had the wires from the break controller mounted under the dash that ran under the car and out the back. But the new tube rear connector solution just plugs in the back and adds breaking ability to trailers so equipped. I also found UHAUL YouTube vids that did the install of a hitch and wire up a 4 pin. I called and was told just let them take care of selling to you all the hardware as they will not install if you BYO.

Warning (at this time) towing with the Kona in the USA is not sanctioned by the dealerships and could (they might reason should) void your warrantee so for now I guess I'll just install the lighted MTB bike carrier.

Before considering towing with a vehicle learn the dynamics, limitations, weights and rules. We all need a license to drive a car but no document of understanding for towing. Go figure? Please take the steps to learn all you can and practice in a safe place. Not knowing can be costly in repairs and human trauma.

I was told by my dealership there are other Kona (non towing capable) options if you are looking to just attach hangers off the back. But for me since I like the flexibility of a Class I, to choose attachments. I wanted to be prepared for the future with this very capable 2019 2.0 6-speed (not EV) Kona.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts