Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Kona the salesman said I could add a tow hitch. Seems he misspoke as I was told by both a local installer and the parts dept. at the dealership that there is no hitch available for the Kona. The parts guy indicated that one might be forthcoming...the car was still "so new" a hitch probably had not yet been designed. I emailed Hyundai re: the timing of tow hitch availability and got back some vague gibberish sbout "specifictions for future Kona models have not yet been announced"...duh?? I did an online search and it appears there are "towbars" available for the Kona in Europe. Does anyone have any information on this subject that would help? Is there a tow hitch or isn't there? Will there be one available in the U.S. or won't there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. I found some European tow bars on a site etowbars.com. You would think that if they already have them in Europe it would be an easy jump to make them available in the U.S. I also found a PDF download from Hyundai Europe that shows a number of accessories that aren't shown on their U.S. literature...??

·
Banned
1,279 Posts

·
Banned
1,279 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
There are places that sell universal hitches for anyone wanting to go that route and in need of something immediately.
U-Haul is apparently good for this.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Curt Hitches just went LIVE today with their Kona hitches. When I ordered one from eTrailer.com on Saturday there were no Kona hitches on Curt mfg. site. On Sunday eTrailer emailed me thay don't have the hitch, but the manufacture does have them. Today I was told Curt will be drop shipping me my hitch and should get tracking #s in 24 hours. $197 delivered. + extra for the wiring kit.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'd like to get one installed so I can tow a small utility trailer for things like when I replace my storm door on my house. Only reason I miss my truck is for the utility.

·
Super Moderator
271 Posts
I'd like to get one installed so I can tow a small utility trailer for things like when I replace my storm door on my house. Only reason I miss my truck is for the utility.
I ordered a MY18 Kona here in Australia and am getting the factory tow bar fitted.

Our hitch is very, very close to your standard 2" hitch size, so you could get away with the Australian unit if you can find the part number, it also comes with a pull though wiring harness.
I might be able to pull a part number off it mid-next week.

Requires the rear bar to be trimmed slightly.

As per my previous jeep.
I had an Australian hitch receiver and american bar 2" (it was 1/4th the price to import it via eBay than buying locally)
All i had to do what change the ball over, as the american ball is slightly bigger than the 50mm Australian one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can`t imagine that you can tow anything very heavy with a Kona, heck, my `17 F 150 4x4 with the 5.0 v8 is limited to 7,000 lbs & you have to subtract the driver/passengers, fuel, & any equipment you are carrying from that.

·
Super Moderator
271 Posts
I can`t imagine that you can tow anything very heavy with a Kona, heck, my `17 F 150 4x4 with the 5.0 v8 is limited to 7,000 lbs & you have to subtract the driver/passengers, fuel, & any equipment you are carrying from that.
2700 lbs or so with the dsg and 2800 with the auto. (With trailer brakes) like 1200 without

Plenty to haul a small box trailer for oversized items.

It's not a work truck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm so glad I didn't remove the bumper on my Kona when my bolt and spacer dropped into the bumper framers. Looking at the above photos it would not have allowed the access I was hoping it would.

Colinchook how involved/hard is the bumper removal?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes I trimmed the bumper cover as they supply a template with the genuine kit. Also the genuine kit comes with complete wiring and ecu for the rear of car not sure if aftermarket kits have the good wiring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was actually sold a "tow package" that apparently doesn't exist. The dealer said they're trying to fix it for me (anything for a sale, right?)

Can anyone verify if the Australian factory hitch will work in the U.S.A.?

If so, I'll recommend the dealer call an AUS dealer and arrange for the parts to be ordered / delivered. Otherwise the manager told me he'll order 3rd party. If I have to get 3rd party, are there any recommendations?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
271 Posts
I was actually sold a "tow package" that apparently doesn't exist. The dealer said they're trying to fix it for me (anything for a sale, right?)

Can anyone verify if the Australian factory hitch will work in the U.S.A.?

If so, I'll recommend the dealer call an AUS dealer and arrange for the parts to be ordered / delivered. Otherwise the manager told me he'll order 3rd party. If I have to get 3rd party, are there any recommendations?

Thanks.
Other posters on the forums have had towbars installed in the US. (do a quick search)

The Australian Towbar may fit the US ones, but there is no guarantee.

The "Factory" towbar from mobis only has a 75KG downball weight rating (Part J9280ADE00)

The "Factory Australian one (only though hyundai australia and not mobis) is a 1.3T (130KG downball)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-2018-HYUNDAI-KONA-COMPLETE-TOWBAR-KIT-J9A04APH01/183548282367?epid=24023559766&hash=item2abc5485ff:g:uiwAAOSwHntbmGWq

1 - 20 of 33 Posts