Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm new here, not sure if this topic has been covered. I had been planning to purchase/lease an EV for some time, and expected that I would charge it overnight in my garage during off-peak rates. Not just to save money, (in Ontario, Canada the off-peak rate is almost half of the daytime rate), but also to participate in Grid balancing, by using less electricity during the daytime and more during evenings and weekends, as we consumers are encouraged to do.

About three weeks ago, we managed to get a 2019 Ultimate, a dealer demo with 1500 km on it, so we did not have to undergo the 9 month wait for a new one. We love the Kona! However, I no longer have the option of home charging because we sold our house two years ago and are now in an apartment building. The good news is that our building has two Level 2 charging stations in the Visitor's parking lot. Very convenient. The bad news is that the charging rate is a flat $2.00 per hour, regardless of the time of day. That works out to 36¢ per kWh, in Canadian funds. Which is bad enough, given that the off-peak rate from Hydro One is 6.5¢ per kWh (OK, let's call it more like 11¢ with the delivery charges), but where is the incentive to help balance the Grid by charging overnight or on weekends?

Of course, homeowners are doing their part by charging overnight, and saving some money by doing so.

But what about public Level 3 chargers? Do we get TOU rates? I doubt it. It seems to me, that as more and more EVs are being charged up, the issue of Grid balancing may become worse, rather than better. The whole purpose of TOU billing was to use less electricity during the day, and more on evenings and weekends. Public charging companies are buying the electricity at TOU rates, but not passing it on. This is wrong.

OK, I have it off my chest now. Any comments? ......Rickker

1 - 1 of 1 Posts