Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Nu 2.0 MPI engine in my 2019 SE. The maintenance schedule says to add fuel additives every 7,500 miles with a *2 next to it.

*2 : If TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is not available, one bottle of additive is recommended. Additives are available from your authorized HYUNDAI dealer along with information on how to use them. Do not mix other additives.

I've only used Costco Top Tier Regular gasoline. Would you personally still consider adding Genuine Hyundai Fluid 00232-19047 Complete Fuel System Cleaner?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
While 7,500 may be over kill on a regular multi port old style injected motor when using Top Tier fuel, a GDI injected motor needs a bit more babying since the injectors are inside the combustion chamber. I will be running a bottle of Redline injector cleaner every 10,000 miles to take care of my GDI injectors. Redline in considered one of the best cleaners since it has PEA and Esters for cleaners where others have SOMETIMES just PEA only. There is nothing special about Hyundai cleaner, why buy that one when Redline is far superior. My local AutoZone has it. I use it in 3/4 full tank.

https://www.redlineoil.com/si-1-complete-fuel-system-cleaner

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-Complete-System-Cleaner/dp/B000CPI5Z0

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've always used Techron fuel cleaner. I have never read a bad report on it. BP puts it in all their gas.

A bit expensive, but worth it. I wait for a sale and buy a bunch.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While 7,500 may be over kill on a regular multi port old style injected motor when using Top Tier fuel, a GDI injected motor needs a bit more babying since the injectors are inside the combustion chamber.

But are we agreement that the Kona 2.0 is a Multi-Point Fuel Injection Atkinson Cycle (MPi) engine and not a Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) engine like the 1.6 Turbo?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Nu_engine

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,169 Posts
If that's true, I feel a lot better. After my experience with a DI engine, I never wanted another one.
Too many advantages that GDI offers for car makers to give it up. MPG, performance and emissions are all
Improved with DI. Software has improved and will continue to improve GDI issues.
I’ve owned a 2008 with GDI since new with no issues. Also had a 2012 Kia 2.4 GDI for over 100K with
No issues. These companies are not going to invest in technology that doesn’t work or provide an advantage.

·
Registered
HYUNDAI KONA ELITE 2018
41 Posts
I just want to know if the injector cleaners work ? Like will it really clean the engine and increase mileage etc., for example if we put one of these in a full tank of e10 unleaded petrol before going on a long drive....will this help to clean the engine and help remove impurities and help increase mileage and performance etc.,/.

I always wanted to try and don't know if its advised by Hyundai. As of now, no problems with my car...but just want to know if it keeps my car in a good condition and well maintained engine. Please advise if anyone has used any of these - fuel injectors or engine cleaning liquid or performance improvement liquids. Appreciate it.

Please find the link for the same. I have a hyundai kona elite 1.6 petrol.

SCA Petrol Injector Cleaner 300mL | Supercheap Auto

Thanks
M

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've been using Seafoam Motor Treatment for literally decades in all my gasoline engines (from lawn mower, string trimmer, motorcycle, automobiles, snow blower, etc) at a rate of 1 oz per gallon of gasoline. It is IMO an excellent gas stabilizer and keeps the internals of the engines really clean.

It is not necessary to use for every gallon of gas in a car that is driven regularly, in those cases I pour in a an ounce per gallon once a month.

I use it 100 % of the time in all my small engines, and in the Harley.

I also try and use Top Tier gasoline as much as possible.

·
Registered
HYUNDAI KONA ELITE 2018
41 Posts
I am going on a long trip from Sydney to Brisbane - coming weekend. I periodically service my vehicle and its a single hand driven. I notice there is no pickup in kona elite, does the fuel injectors or carbon cleaners work ? Can I use them to improve the performance or clean the engine carbon etc., My car has a very low kms on it and I still don't know why its doing this.

2nd question - to clean the engine and filters, can I use a high octane 98 BP petrol on an almost empty tank and drive it till its empty so that I can go back to my E10/E91 petrol which I regularly use for my daily needs... I mean will the premium petrol (full tank) does any better or it does not matter. Can we change fuel's first of all ? Like what happens if we use E98 octane and later fill it up with E91/E10 etc. once its empty...Can we do that or its always better to use a single fuel type ?

Please advise which petrol is good for a Hyundai Kona ? I have written to the Hyundai they say any E10/E91 is good and did not advise to go with octane premium fuel. Any advise is appreciated from a Hyundai Kona user.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers
M

·
Registered
HYUNDAI KONA ELITE 2018
41 Posts
Please advise which is the best fuel type E10 or E95 or E98 ? Can we combine fuel types ? Like fill E95 and once its empty E91/E10 ? Will using E98 once in a while cleans up the filters/carbon ?

Does fuel injectors cleaners really work or do we need to use once in a while ? Does it help ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
647 Posts
Please advise which is the best fuel type E10 or E95 or E98 ? Can we combine fuel types ? Like fill E95 and once its empty E91/E10 ? Will using E98 once in a while cleans up the filters/carbon ?

Does fuel injectors cleaners really work or do we need to use once in a while ? Does it help ?

Thanks
If you read your manual, it says to use a minimum of 87 octane, prefers 91 octane top tier gas, nothing higher than an E15 rating. Ethanol wreaks havoc on systems that were not designed for their use. If you have the 1.6T engine, according to the manual, to use a fuel system cleaner every 10k miles. Best bet to keep the intake manifold and intake valves clean is to use catch cans, but they too require routine maintenance and may not be legal in your country.

When in doubt, read your manual.

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
647 Posts
I am going on a long trip from Sydney to Brisbane - coming weekend. I periodically service my vehicle and its a single hand driven. I notice there is no pickup in kona elite, does the fuel injectors or carbon cleaners work ? Can I use them to improve the performance or clean the engine carbon etc., My car has a very low kms on it and I still don't know why its doing this.

2nd question - to clean the engine and filters, can I use a high octane 98 BP petrol on an almost empty tank and drive it till its empty so that I can go back to my E10/E91 petrol which I regularly use for my daily needs... I mean will the premium petrol (full tank) does any better or it does not matter. Can we change fuel's first of all ? Like what happens if we use E98 octane and later fill it up with E91/E10 etc. once its empty...Can we do that or its always better to use a single fuel type ?

Please advise which petrol is good for a Hyundai Kona ? I have written to the Hyundai they say any E10/E91 is good and did not advise to go with octane premium fuel. Any advise is appreciated from a Hyundai Kona user.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers
M

Not sure since your in a completely different country and your fuel ratings dont make any sense here. What does it say in your vehicle's manual?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Your E10 fuel is rated at 94 octane, which is higher than the 'regular' 91octane gas. Gasoline mixed with Ethanol burns cleaner, which supposedly is 'better' for the environment (until you take into consideration the manufacturing process which in itself is a source of pollution).
Hyundai manufactured these cars to function on unleaded fuel with minimum Research Octane Number of 91 and/or blended with Ethanol (so far up to 15% blend). If you have the 1.6Turbo-powered GDI engine in yours - hence capable of better performance - then it would make more sense to use either E95 or E98.
If you have the 2.0L engine, then your advice from your DEALERSHIP is AS GOOD as any opinion from this forum's 'advisers'. Take my opinion with a grain of salt and an open mind.
To quote one of the advisers: when in doubt read the Manual.

·
Registered
HYUNDAI KONA ELITE 2018
41 Posts
Your E10 fuel is rated at 94 octane, which is higher than the 'regular' 91octane gas. Gasoline mixed with Ethanol burns cleaner, which supposedly is 'better' for the environment (until you take into consideration the manufacturing process which in itself is a source of pollution).
Hyundai manufactured these cars to function on unleaded fuel with minimum Research Octane Number of 91 and/or blended with Ethanol (so far up to 15% blend). If you have the 1.6Turbo-powered GDI engine in yours - hence capable of better performance - then it would make more sense to use either E95 or E98.
If you have the 2.0L engine, then your advice from your DEALERSHIP is AS GOOD as any opinion from this forum's 'advisers'. Take my opinion with a grain of salt and an open mind.
To quote one of the advisers: when in doubt read the Manual.
Awesome, thanks for the advise mate. Cheers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you read your manual, it says to use a minimum of 87 octane, prefers 91 octane top tier gas, nothing higher than an E15 rating. Ethanol wreaks havoc on systems that were not designed for their use. If you have the 1.6T engine, according to the manual, to use a fuel system cleaner every 10k miles. Best bet to keep the intake manifold and intake valves clean is to use catch cans, but they too require routine maintenance and may not be legal in your country.

When in doubt, read your manual.
does the manual say it prefers 91? i didnt even think to look i thought my 1.6 limited was tuned for 87, what fuel cleaner do you use

1 - 20 of 23 Posts