Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,285 Posts
Some have to use a scan tool to register the wheels in their new position.
A magnet is sometimes used by each sensor and a procedure where you walk around and
Listen for a beep.. Not sure what the Hyundai procedure is, if any.. good question..

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I found the answer. It's all automagically done

---------------

The TPM Module (1) is a stand-alone receiver that is used to perform all TPM functionality in a Premium TPM System. The TPM is located on the top of the rear crossmember frame and is mounted with a bracket (3). The TPM uses information transmitted from each of the sensors as well as the difference in the strength of the signal received to determine the location of each of the sensors.

The TPM receives information from each of the sensors in the form of RF signals. The information contained in each of the transmissions provides all the information necessary for the TPM to determine the pressure in each tire as well as the position of the sensor. This auto-locating process only happens in the first 20 minutes of any drive cycle while traveling at speeds above 20 mph (32 km/h) (The auto-locating process will start again only if the vehicle has been shut off for approximately 20 minutes or longer). The TPM then transmits the required information directly to the CCN in order to update the lamp, chime and display as required.

--------------

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/how-does-tpms-know-which-tire-is-in-which-location-1872865.html

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rotated my tires this morning.

It's very easy to see that there is a second cable running to the disk brake assembly that goes to a TPMS sensor. This is at every wheel.

I'm not even 100% positive that it's required to register new TPMS transmitters with this technology. The transmitters are within 12" of the sensors.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just had my tires rotated at a close by shop. When I got home and played with tire pressure, I discovered absolutely that the sensors were displaying the wrong tires on the screen. I adjusted pressures and the pressures adjusted, but in the wrong tire positions. I am hoping that this will be corrected after driving a bit longer after the rotation. Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
627 Posts
Mode
(1)
Virgin State

The receiver as a sole part is shipped in this state. Replacement parts should therefore arrive in this state.

In this state, there is no Auto-Location, no sensor wake-up, no sensor monitoring and no DTC monitoring..

The state indicates that platform specific parameters must be written to the receiver and that sensors are un-learned.
(2)
Normal State

In order for tire inflation state and DTC monitoring to occur, the receiver must be in this state.

In this state, automatic sensor location / learning is enabled.
Overview

Learn TPMS sensor for under inflation monitoring automatically.

Uses sensor information, distance travelled, background noise levels, Auto-learn status, short / open circuit output status, vehicle battery level, internal receiver states to determine if there is a system or a vehicle fault.
Operation
General Function

Auto-learn takes place only once per Ignition cycle.

On successful completion, 4 road wheel sensor ID's are latched into memory for monitoring.

Until Auto-learn completes, previously learned sensors are monitored for under inflation / leak warnings.
General Conditions to Learn New Sensors:

Receiver must determine that it is confident that sensor is not temporary:
a. Uses vehicle speed.
b. Uses confidence reduction of previously learned sensors.

Typical time at driving continuously over 15.5 mph(25 kph) to learn a new sensor is up to 20 minutes.
General Conditions to Un-Learn a sensor that is removed :

It takes less than 20 minutes at 15.5 mph(20-30 kph).

Confidence reduction is dependent on time which vehicle is driven at speed greater than or equal to 12.4 mph(20-30 kph).

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just had my tires rotated at a close by shop. When I got home and played with tire pressure, I discovered absolutely that the sensors were displaying the wrong tires on the screen. I adjusted pressures and the pressures adjusted, but in the wrong tire positions. I am hoping that this will be corrected after driving a bit longer after the rotation. Any thoughts?
It takes about 10 miles for our Kona tpms system to display the correct tire pressures. I just put the snow tires on for the winter and it reset at 8 miles ish.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It takes about 10 miles for our Kona tpms system to display the correct tire pressures. I just put the snow tires on for the winter and it reset at 8 miles ish.
Mine was displaying correct pressures...just in their pre-rotation locations. I am pretty sure this will correct with a little more driving based on Bebop's post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts