Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Really wanted a limited Red kona but got a great price at a dealership with only Gray and Silver and can´t choose between them!!!

Also wanted all black interior but they only have gray and black.

So....pros and cons of Gray and Silver? I know its personal preference, but I can´t decide I like them both! And how is the gray and black interior, do the gray seats get dirty??

THANKS

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
When I was looking for my 2018 Kona AWD 1.6T Limited, I chose the Sonic Silver color since I like the way the painted flares looked with the silver vs the dark dark grey. I did not want to see paint swirl/micro scratching on a dark dark car, like you see on a black car. I owned one black car in my life and I said never again, even though the dark gray is not black. I wanted nothing even close to dark. I went back to the dealer to buy it and the Silver Sonic was gone.

So I tried another dealer that was an hour away that emailed me since I think I used Carguru's dot com and the email was from the general manager of the dealership. I called him on the phone and he was a get it done type of guy. He said I don't have that color. Mind you, 2018 was the first year and it was kind of a 2018 1/2 car later in the year that it hit our shores with a limited run and they were all drying up fast.

I live in Minnesota and he found a Sonic Silver in Colorado, the UP of Michigan, and southern Indiana. He said he just did a dealer car swap with the dealer in Indiana and he had more leverage to grab it from that dealer then the Michigan one, since the Kona was new and dwindling in stock the dealer would push back heavily not to swap since they want the car too. We negotiated a $500 truck it up to Minnesota fee and I received my car 4 days later.

So after all that, if you want a certain color and you are willing to pay an added fee look for a car that you want. I could of flown for half that, but was too busy at work to take off at the time. Look on Cargrues dot com to see if you can find one close to you. As far as the light gray interior, I myself wouldn't buy it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh, tough decision. Both looks great. If you like the appearance of the body cladding, I'd go with the lighter silver one. The Thunder Gray with gray interior would be my choice though. Let us know which one you get :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi everyone!

Really wanted a limited Red kona but got a great price at a dealership with only Gray and Silver and can´t choose between them!!!

So....pros and cons of Gray and Silver? I know its personal preference, but I can´t decide I like them both! And how is the gray and black interior, do the gray seats get dirty??
we just purchased a Sonic Silver SEL plus and love it. I had a dark gray Mazda CX5 and did get tired of the dark color so went with the Sonic Silver. I did also really like the red but they didn't have it in the SEL plus trim. I have only had the car for 3 days but I love driving it and all of the features that are added to the plus trim are great and the price was also great with all of the dealer discounts.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've got Sonic Silver paint code SS7 & love it. The metal flakes really pop when clean/waxed & it doesn't show the dirt as fast as other colors. I've got the black body clading (urban armour) & the pepita (hounds tooth) seats w/black/gray interior trim. I Scotch Guarded seats & they're still looking good. I just Black Chromed the armour for a bit of sunny pop.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I’ve had our Thunder Grey SE for 16 months now. Love it.

Doesn’t show dirt too bad, sparkles like magic when freshly washed, and the clear coat is holding up great.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I din't care for the Thunder Gray, but my wife liked it, and it was going to be her car, so that's what we ended up getting. That said, I love the color now, especially when it's clean, the sparkles are incredible for a sub $30K car. Now the lighter gray interior, I'm not as much of a fan, but it does lighten up the relatively dark interior, IMO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got a Kona in the Sonic Silver the end of February 2020- yr 2019 CPO and the Sonic Silver has a very unique bluish tone in some types of light not silver or gray. The Thunder Gray looked nice but having my heart stabbed when I had my first brand new black toyota got scratched it seems to be so much more visible against black I actually cried. Can't go wrong with either but I think the sonic gray is unique. I passed on smurf blue and black model and white would have been last choice. I did the homework and overall ratings everywhere seemed to steer me to Kona. I thought I was a toyota only person but the warranty and reports from edmunds, kelley blue book all pointed me to a 2019. 2018 was 1st year, 2019s would have been tweaked and since most car manufacturers make major changes about every 2 years, did not want to jump on board 2020 before reviews started coming in. In my case, have seen a few too many 2020s on resale market after a few hundred miles.
Good luck with your new baby.

·
Super Moderator
1,038 Posts
Hi everyone!

THANKS
No right or wrong when it comes to color choice... ButI will say that the two tone Lighter interior makes The interior brighter and not as cave like when it’s all black, IMO.. I went for the lighter silver exterior which is already darker than most silver cars out there.. Thought the wheel wells looked better than being all dark.. Stylish Shapely little SUV that looks good in any color.. Enjoy !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts