Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a new Kona 2022 EV and the charger cable is too short to reach any of the outdoor sockets near my apartment. Hyundai doesn't have any contact information, so I guess they really don't want people trying to contact them, because I was wondering if its possible to buy a longer level 1 charging cable, either from Hyundai or a third party. And if yes, if anyone has recommendations.

I live in Ottawa Canada so I am getting a bit anxious about winter performance and wouldn't mind being able to charge it at home, mainly for when its really cold.

Thanks!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Any charger you can find with a J1772 plug will work, it's an official standard. You can't extend the EV side of the cable but you can use an extension on the wall plug side provided you have one with the required rating and adhere to obvious safety rules like don't coil excess length while in use or let the ends get wet. The charger unit is almost certainly rated for outdoor use.

As an aside, I lived in Britannia for a year as a child while my dad was at Carleton Uni.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any charger you can find with a J1772 plug will work, it's an official standard. You can't extend the EV side of the cable but you can use an extension on the wall plug side provided you have one with the required rating and adhere to obvious safety rules like don't coil excess length while in use or let the ends get wet. The charger unit is almost certainly rated for outdoor use.

As an aside, I lived in Britannia for a year as a child while my dad was at Carleton Uni.
Okay thank you! I've seen some portable charger options on line that have a longer reach but I wasn't sure if they would work on Hyundai. So I just have to make sure the plug is the same. I appreciate you replying!

·
Registered
60 Posts

Hey Kiwi

I grew up in Ottawa too! I went to the University of Ottawa and got my Mechanical Engineering undergrad and PhD. Took several courses at Carleton too!
It is a small world!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone! I took your advice (and some of reddits) and purchased a regular extension cable. I got a 12 gauge that’s used for outdoor and I think it can take 1875 watts which is apparently high enough for EVs. I don’t know what any of that means but I charged my car this weekend with it and it never tripped so happy days! Cost around 40$

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks everyone! I took your advice (and some of reddits) and purchased a regular extension cable. I got a 12 gauge that’s used for outdoor and I think it can take 1875 watts which is apparently high enough for EVs. I don’t know what any of that means but I charged my car this weekend with it and it never tripped so happy days! Cost around 40$
Not sure about Canada codes, but in California, most extension cords are not safe, nor are they rated for continuous duty at high current levels such as 1 kW L1. Also, very rare that an extension cord plug is rated and safe for use in a damp or wet outdoor environment. I strongly suggest you check your local electrical codes for extension cord use. There is usually a tag on the extension cord that states its use and limitations. If your plug or cord melts or catches fire and the rating information does not support continuous high power use, any insurance claims might be void.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Search for a J1772 EV EXTENSION CORD on Amazon. $199 for 20' $299 for 40'. Supposed to work for both Level 1 & 2 charging. I may get one of these as I have used low gauge, outdoor extension cords at airbnbs. $199 would be well worth the price to avoid problems.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For 120v charging I've always used a 10ga std grounded extension cord with no problem.
I have a special 50amp socket for my L2 charger. And have not tried to use it anywhere else
I have been using a 25' 12/3 SJTW cord for 120v charging when staying at others homes. It is supposed to be good for 15 amps while the car is charging at 12 amps. Because the load is continuous for many hours, will 12/3 still be OK? If I get a 10/3 would 50' be OK or should I just get 25'?

·
Registered
2022 Kona Elite extended range
68 Posts
I'm in Australia, so the voltage is different 240v rather than 110v, but I'm making a purpose built 15amp 10m cord, the cable I'm using is HO7 2.5mm. Reason being it is designed specifically to take the punishment an exposed cable can be subjected to and also has muti fine strand conductors so can handle being flexed more readily than building style cable.
Here is a link to the Australian supplier, but I would assume similar would be available in the U.S.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm in Australia, so the voltage is different 240v rather than 110v, but I'm making a purpose built 15amp 10m cord, the cable I'm using is HO7 2.5mm. Reason being it is designed specifically to take the punishment an exposed cable can be subjected to and also has muti fine strand conductors so can handle being flexed more readily than building style cable.
Here is a link to the Australian supplier, but I would assume similar would be available in the U.S.

2.5mm better 2.9mm would be better. I can't know local codes. I say you probably can't go wrong with 2.9mm

·
Registered
2022 Kona Elite extended range
68 Posts
2.5mm better 2.9mm would be better. I can't know local codes. I say you probably can't go wrong with 2.9mm
Over here in Aust most standard GPO ccts are protected by a 15amp mcb and are wired in 2.5mm TPS cable. So 2.5mm flex is fine for a 10m extension.
Also when the conductor size gets up to 2.9mm, the cable diameter would be extremely difficult to physically fit our 250v 15a style plugs,. so I've chosen 2.5mm, size, weight, availability etc suits my purpose.
Also 2.9mm isn't a standard size here in Aus, 2.5mm then generally it jumps to 4mm, it may well be different in the U.S using different voltages.
I also have a flexible lead for 32amp single phase, that is made from HO7 6mm conductor, but is only 1m long to adapt from 440V 3ph to 240v single phase, to suit the portable 7.5Kw charger.

I'm not sure what the rules and regs are in the U.S or Canada.
This is what our 250v 15amp weather proof plug looks like.

And our 250v 32amp single phase plug.

This is the charger I'm using, other than the Hyundai granny charger, which was supplied with the vehicle.
It is 250v and has adjustable output: 8Amp, 15Amp, 20Amp, 24Amp, 32Amp.

Here is the 32a GPO mounted on the wall of the house adjacent to the meter box.

Wood Wall Gas Technology Electronic device

1 - 19 of 19 Posts