Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, glad to have found this forum!

Looking at buying a Kona and had some questions... I can either do an Ultimate FWD or a Limited FWD or AWD. Ultimate AWD is out of budget.

I live in East Tennessee...so snow is *uncommon* but not impossible. Maybe 3-5 snowfalls that effect streets during the year. But, is AWD worth the added $1300 in cost just for performance, handling, etc.? And are the upgrades in the Ultimate worth the added $2,000-$3,000?

I appreciate your help on this.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Mahalo and welcome.

Yes the Ultimate is worth the money and you’ll be kicking yourself if you can afford it and don’t purchase it. If you deal you can get an AWD for about $500 more.

I know East Tennessee fairly well and you’d enjoy the AWD for dirt roads in the Allegheny mountains. The handling would be a plus also. However, if you just can’t afford it, stick with the Ultimate FWD. With any doubt the Ultimate is the way to go.

Blessings and Peace

Reactions: Wheat

·
Registered
116 Posts
AWD benefits are primarily handling IMO (multi-link rear and torque vectoring that hits the rear brakes as well), but I've found it competent enough for decent offroad stuff.

Ultimate is all about the tech - lane keep assist, auto braking, HUD, upgraded stereo, etc.

A Limited FWD is a **** fine vehicle already, the AWD and Ultimate package options are worth the money but you should only opt for them if they have what you're looking for.

Personally I'm more into performance than tech and am very particular about handing, so the SO and I picked up a Limited AWD and have loved every minute of owning it.

·
Super Moderator
1,152 Posts
My .02

I went with the Limited FWD.. Don’t need AWD where I live which is the Carolinas ..
While I liked the IRS on the AWD setup.. I didn’t want the weight penalty or the mileage hit..
I would have opted out of the sunroof if I could of.. Don’t care about the techno option stuff
My car is basically used for my mundane everyday errands.. I wanted to liven things up a bit..
My other car was perfectly fine... just too appliance like.
So this car has practicality with a boy racer attitude.. looks descent.. etc...
If I have a need to exceed the limits of this car.. I will look for something else more
Suited to the job.. right Now this thing zips pretty good and is fun to drive... problem solved..
For now.. lol.. This is my 45th or 46th car.. I need help..

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Papa there is only 214 pounds difference between the two Ultimates.

3,276 lbs AWD
3,062 lbs FWD

The limited is only 42 lbs difference between the two.

Blessings and Peace

·
Super Moderator
1,152 Posts
3,043 Lbs is one of the reasons I opted for the FWD .. 233 lbs less makes a difference you can feel..

Papa there is only 214 pounds difference between the two Ultimates.

3,276 lbs AWD
3,062 lbs FWD

The limited is only 42 lbs difference between the two

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Don't think, buy!!!

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
116 Posts
Welcome to the club, man! You did a good job purchasing the setup that's right for you. I think you'll find, as all of us have, that this car continues to grow on you the more you drive it.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Well said, Wheat! It sure does.:grin:

Blessings and Peace

1 - 10 of 10 Posts