Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! The name is Tony, and this is my introduction.

My wife said she wanted a kona, I had very little interest in a Hyundai. American muscle was always my thing, but a friend let me play around with his 2.0/ 2wd kona. I really wanted for her to wait for the N-line, but she fell in love with a new lime twist ultimate awd turbo. My hot rodding buddies poked fun of the Kona, mostly because I was negotiating on a C6 corvette before my wife got involved. They started calling it " Snot Rod " after a few of them drove it. lol, my wife isn't happy about her cars new nickname, but I see her grin when one of them brags on it.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Since you are a performance guy, the best thing you can do to an AWD 1.6T is the intake delete, and a set of Eibach or Storm lowering springs. The Kona AWD 1.6T is a softly sprung, highly dampened car, so in emergency stops the rear end lifts and the nose dives badly. Rear brake bias is questionable in this state. The N-Line would not have this problem since it would have increased spring rates. The car feels 10-15% stiffer and still comfortable with the Eibach's. Intake delete in link. Helps stop stumbling on starts. Hyundai looks the other way on this addition as far as warranty.

Also, warn your wife that the DCT transmission has an inherent stall if you floor it of EVEN THINK about wanting to get ahead of traffic, like coming onto a 55mph hwy/street from a side street. The DCT and ECU will have to think for 3 seconds or so and then go or stall for 3 seconds and THEN do a weird torque reduction and have 1/2 power , all when the 18 wheeler is coming at you at 70 mph. So you have to relearn not to think you can get before this car/truck because there will be a time everything will go against you with Hyundai's smitty tune and you will smit your pants because nothing is happening acceleration wise, when you need it to.

If this car was bought new it will take 1,000 miles to break-in the DCT clutch. Also at the 8,000 mile mark dump the rear diff fluid and refill. it takes a 1/2 a qt (est) 75w-90 ( I use Redline ) You will find very dirty oil while the rear diff breaks in. Do another change at 16,000 miles and it will stay mostly clean after that. The transfer case stays almost crystal clear, so a dump at 25,000 to 30,000 would be fine. Redline makes an equivalent GL4 trans/front diff fluid (same cavity/same oil.).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, that WOT hiccup catches me every time I drive it. I will be doing some basic mods, but nothing crazy... yet.. :cool:
It's my wifes car, and she has a thing for "stock". Anything I do to it, has to be done behind her back. lol. Cheating on my wife with performance parts.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Yea,I know the feeling.......... Done a lot of that. Gee how did those Elantra GT Sport seat get in my Kona ??????? Gee how did that DTE piggyback box get on my car. And now how did that ECU tune and intercooler get ordered????

·
Super Moderator
1,141 Posts
Yea,I know the feeling.......... Done a lot of that. Gee how did those Elantra GT Sport seat get in my Kona ??????? Gee how did that DTE piggyback box get on my car. And now how did that ECU tune and intercooler get ordered????
lol.. still going strong with your mods !! good for you !!

·
Super Moderator
1,141 Posts
Hello all! The name is Tony, and this is my introduction.

My wife said she wanted a kona, I had very little interest in a Hyundai. American muscle was always my thing, but a friend let me play around with his 2.0/ 2wd kona. I really wanted for her to wait for the N-line, but she fell in love with a new lime twist ultimate awd turbo. My hot rodding buddies poked fun of the Kona, mostly because I was negotiating on a C6 corvette before my wife got involved. They started calling it " Snot Rod " after a few of them drove it. lol, my wife isn't happy about her cars new nickname, but I see her grin when one of them brags on it.
Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your Snot Rod.. I owned a C6 Z06 for Several years prior..
The Kona isn’t quite the Same, lol... but it is far more practical and almost as fun to drive in the real world..
and the po po don’t look at you as much in the Kona.. No corvette tax either when you need tires and such..

Enjoy !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts