Hyundai Kona Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
250hp is the 2.0t engine which would be the key ingredient. Given that Veloster N already exist, a wet-clutch 2.0T AWD Kona makes the most sense.

Rumors buzzing about new GRMN Corolla...so, they're not taking this lying down.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
250hp is the 2.0t engine which would be the key ingredient. Given that Veloster N already exist, a wet-clutch 2.0T AWD Kona makes the most sense.

Rumors buzzing about new GRMN Corolla...so, they're not taking this lying down.
The North American specs are out, 275hp and I thought I read only a 8 speed DCT. The only thing NOT released is, is it FWD or AWD.

Hyundai might have an N Line FWD Kona and AWD with the N. Sort of like what they are doing with the Elantra. The N Line is out now with the 1.6T 201hp DCT and the N comes out in Fall 2021.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Hyundai might have an N Line FWD Kona and AWD with the N. Sort of like what they are doing with the Elantra. The N Line is out now with the 1.6T 201hp DCT and the N comes out in Fall 2021.
There is a Kona N-Line AWD, all leads say the Kona N is 2WD only. We only have a hope and a prayer on the Kona N having AWD.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Wait. There’s a Kona N AND a Kona N Line?
Yes the Kona N-Line has a 1.6T engine it is avalible with AWD, has badges, and different plastic pieces with all the new model updated interiors. From my research the suspension has not been updated from the normal Limited and Ultimate US versions. The Kona N through my research has a 2.0 liter and it has been said to be 2WD as far as we know to date. It has the new 8 speed wet DCT vs the N-Line 7 speed dry DCT.

Discussion starter · #31 · (Edited)
Got it. My concern is longevity of any turbo + DCT. The 2.0 may be what I consider. I need my next car to last 200k miles.
My last car went 295k and my current is at 220k and still running strong.
300,000 miles on a trashed on turbo motor..........Kinda doubt it. It's a Hyundai, not a Toyota or Honda naturally aspirated engine with longevity. I would est. you will need a new turbo before 200,000 miles. $3,250 if someone does it for you.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
This is only hear say, but someone told me he had access somewhere that a Hyundai Kona N tester made a comment it is FWD ONLY. Doesn't look good. A LIFTED 2WD Kona N. WHY the **** LIFT it, if it is 2WD it should be slammed to the ground. What an utter FAILURE HYUNDAI !!!!!

I still stand by my original prediction that the N Line will come out with the revamped Kona and the N will come out a little later. The N Line may not have AWD but I will wait to see for the full N.
If I'm wrong then I'll eat crow!

Discussion starter · #35 ·
I still stand by my original prediction that the N Line will come out with the revamped Kona and the N will come out a little later. The N Line may not have AWD but I will wait to see for the full N.
If I'm wrong then I'll eat crow!
The Kona N-Line HAS AWD, the Kona N does NOT. The Kona N-Lne is 100% known to have AWD, The Kona N has a 5% chance of having AWD. "Hope" will do nothing to change the very bad outlook of the Kona N having AWD.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
DCT only for sure. Even auto pubs are not sure if there is AWD or not at this point.

There is more to it then that. Some of these pubs have done zero research and have zero connection with Hyundai. The article in Top Gear UK ( which is very connected with Hyundai reps) stated Hyundai said to them that they dropped the AWD very early on in development. Then we saw a very very late in testing, Kona N test mule did not have AWD. We also saw Hyundai stating they are copying the exact drivetrain of the i30 N and Veloster N. When the news broke they were going to make a Hyundai Kona N. Plus there a no AWD badges on the what appears to be a close to production Kona N . Hyundai ALWAYS calls out AWD on all of their cars.

AWD is something to be proud of. It is a game changer if the Kona N was AWD. I personally think they can't have an AWD Kona N because they brainwashed themselves into not let anything beat their i30 N or Veloster N cars. Plus 2WD in the LIFTED Kona N is a big failure point in the sear fact it is lifted for no good reason. Hyundai is known to not fully complete their sport cars, they are always missing something and do it 90%. Here is just another case of that. The Sonota N-LIne with "Hyundai One Wheel Wonder " is another total failure at such a high degree of failure it is not even funny. 310 ft lbs of torque in a FWD "Hyundai One Wonder" "Wonder", all you have is wheel spin unless you are at 20 mph and above and 40 to 50 miles an hour in a hard corner. EVERY enginner who designed that car, KNEW they failed at it, with not having a limited slip differential. They basicly wrecked the car by not having even a "simple" LSD that would cost Hyundai $250 to install. I can see passing on a computer controlled LSD to save money and coding and testing, but a simple standard LSD would make that car go from a failure to an ok car., where an eLSD would be a fantastic car. Plus, they are Cheapskates, that correlates with the 90% finished cars.

We may see an kona N AWD version years from now, but I personally think there is less then a 5% chance it will have an AWD option. I am hoping like the rest of you, and would love to have to eat my words publicly. Oh how I would love to eat my words I have against Hyundai for not having an AWD Kona N.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.