Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Don't know about other Kona owners who have made the switch, but changing from the OEM resonator to the SXTH offering (only $29.00!!!) is a dream come true. There may be a tiny bit of added performance, but on my Ultimate at least, in either normal or Sport mode, there is NO acceleration hesitation, none. And the sound level when the turbo is engaged is all but non-existent. Install took a total of 40 minutes (I'm slow) after I let the turbo cool down.

Want to thank those who recommended this swap. It's worth the change at three times the price, in my opinion.

Forgot to mention; the install directions furnished with the Kona pipe are not for the Kona, since the Kona resonator pipe is immediately downstream from the turbo, under the hood. Which makes it easier to access.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Awesome, thanks for sharing your experience with it. This is a mod I have been strongly considering, may pull the trigger on it soon...

·
Super Moderator
1,141 Posts
Call me skeptical... but I’m not seeing anything but profit for an aftermarket vendor with this pipe..

·
Super Moderator
1,141 Posts
You're skeptical.
LoL.. Thank you.. I’m all for small upgrades and incremental tweaks.. They do add up to real gains.. maybe time
Will tell if this pipe has any measurable improvement over the OEM pipe.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Call me skeptical... but I’m not seeing anything but profit for an aftermarket vendor with this pipe..

It STOPS 90% of the stumbling off the line for me. My car had it and this stopped it cold. Same thing with at a guy at work who has a Veloster. It just plain and simple, works.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It STOPS 90% of the stumbling off the line for me. My car had it and this stopped it cold. Same thing with at a guy at work who has a Veloster. It just plain and simple, works.

Heard this from a lot of folks on here and on other forums now that I've started looking into it. I honestly don't notice the stumbling much, but I'm all for smoothing out the ride with a cheap and easy upgrade, the only "downside" of which is slightly more noise, which I personally don't mind even a tiny bit. Our other two cars are "on the verge of pissing off your neighbors" loud

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
quick question, does this upgrade mess with the warranty? because, if it doesn't, I'm ready.

Depends on the dealer, and if you are in the USA you have the Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act that does not let them void warranty just because they want too as they seem to do more in Canada. As far as what Hyundai can screw with you on warranty, you always need to be up for a verbal nice guy fight. It doesn't add boost, it doesn't interfere with the injection , and it ALWAYS seems to help driveability ......wheres the problem? We have not heard or seen people whine they had a confrontation at the dealer with these and there are a lot of Velosters that had the aftermarket delete pipe them on for years, I have not seen any issue on those forums.

As for more noise, I did not notice anything. Why it's they I don't get it. It should of just been a straight pipe or a longer rubber reinforced boot.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Depends on the dealer, and if you are in the USA you have the Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act that does not let them void warranty just because they want too as they seem to do more in Canada. As far as what Hyundai can screw with you on warranty, you always need to be up for a verbal nice guy fight. It doesn't add boost, it doesn't interfere with the injection , and it ALWAYS seems to help driveability ......wheres the problem? We have not heard or seen people whine they had a confrontation at the dealer with these and there are a lot of Velosters that had the aftermarket delete pipe them on for years, I have not seen any issue on those forums.

As for more noise, I did not notice anything. Why it's they I don't get it. It should of just been a straight pipe or a longer rubber reinforced boot.

Also FWIW, it seems like something you could swap out in 10 minutes before bringing it in to the dealer for whatever reason...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good thought, just in case the dealer is not Mr. Friendly. Actually, it took me 40 minutes after the turbo cooled down but I just had to have a couple of good German beers between removal and install. It was time well spent. Again folks, this is the best $29 you will ever spend. As for me personally, no more acceleration hesitation, no noticeable noise increase and even for Mr. Thumbs like me, install was a no-brainer. Just ignore the install directions about the location of the resonator pipe; it's immediately downstream from the turbo under the hood on the Kona.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Good thought, just in case the dealer is not Mr. Friendly. Actually, it took me 40 minutes after the turbo cooled down but I just had to have a couple of good German beers between removal and install. It was time well spent. Again folks, this is the best $29 you will ever spend. As for me personally, no more acceleration hesitation, no noticeable noise increase and even for Mr. Thumbs like me, install was a no-brainer. Just ignore the install directions about the location of the resonator pipe; it's immediately downstream from the turbo under the hood on the Kona.
Congrats! Did you remember to use Super Hold hair spray as an end fixer, just before you re-install everything? I didn't the first time and month later on a jackrabbit start I popped a tube off and lost power with lots of hissing. Runs, but you loose all boost or course.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just put mine on today. I noticed less hesitation down low in normal mode. In sport mode it was not as noticeable which is what I often drive in. I did however notice in sport mode that my boost seemed to not spike as hard when I hit it. I will need to drive it for a few days to say for sure but it did seem a bit more consistent.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts