Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm about to shop for Kona Ultimate AWD, and locating one is going to be difficult. Only one in area. So, deal will very likely be for a vehicle in transit.

Questions:

1. I don't expect any deals, so couldn't the "deal breaker" be the dealer's processing charges and "hidden charges"?

2. What do you think of contacting ten dealers, telling the exact Kona I want....is that a buying strategy? Realizing I will be putting deposit down for a future delivery.

3. How far in advance do dealers know what is to be delivered to them? Do they have any say?

4. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!!

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
1. Start at the invoice price which varies for each package. They don't print the invoice price you have to ask for it but let it be the first word out of your mouth to the salesman. They are going to have to get you that price on paper from the sales manager.

2. Don't talk about any discounts until you have the invoice price. You talk about discounts after you've agreed on a sale price. However, they will attempt to add it in before hand.

3. Don't trade in anything. Do a straight deal it's easier. Sell the possible trade in outright, you'll get more if you have one.

4. Hyundai has several different $500.00 rebates on the Kona now. (Do your homework on rebates and discounts before you go to the dealership.). Hyundai is offering an Allstate program where all you have to do is listen to an insurance spiel and you can get another $500.00 check from Allstate in about 8-10 weeks. You don't have to purchase anything, just listen to Allstates marketing spiel on the phone.

5. Don't buy on the same day. Give it a day rest for yourself and let them think about your purchase. When you get serious with your offer, generally a sales manager will sit down with you and the salesman.

6. Try to get them to a price under the invoice price w/TTL included.

7. Ask them how much "hold back" or "bonus money" the dealership is getting on the Kona. Normally, it's about $300-$400. Take this off the invoice price when you make your final offer. Use it when you're at your final push comes to shove final offer.

8. Push them for every penny you can get. Use increments of $200 when trying to get them to move. When they say they can't go any lower, use the hold back or bonus money to move them further. Don't be unreasonable on a compromise.

9. If they aren't moving on the price, get up say thank you and leave. Find another Hyundai Dealership.

10. Lastly, if you have a notion to go with the Unlimited package, do so. They will move on price easier than lower priced packages and Stick to the 1.6T engine not the 2.0.

11. It doesn't end there. Know your credit score!!!

12. When you go in to do the finance paperwork and would like the Platinum Service Package, let them give you the spiel then say "no," it's too much. Ask the financier to provide you with the individual breakdown of Platinum coverage cost. Make him do the work but be nice this isn't a battle. Ask him if they will give you the Platinum Service Package at employee cost, which is $1500 instead of $2500. He gets the same commission either-way. Nope not done yet.

14. Now comes the financing. You can opt to go with their local financing, Hyundai's or your own. It's best to get a pre-approval from your chosen financial institution but don't be surprised if they can do better. If you have a credit score of 750 or more, you're in good shape for a much lower interest rate. Try to stay at 60 months or lower, financing. Put down the largest amount of down payment you can afford it lowers your monthly payment drastically.

15. Remember this is not a battle, it's a friendly competition. Don't burn the bridge before you get there. They're prepared with their spiels and pushes to get you to purchase that day. I warn you DON'T!! . Tell them you're shopping around to get the best deal you can. Usually Fridays - Saturdays is good. Better, Sunday - Monday if they're open Sunday. Remember to be nice but firm on your offers.

When all is said and done, you should be able to get an Ultimate AWD at around $27,500-$28,500 out the door TTL w/ the platinum Service Package included. Don't expect much less.

By-the-way, Larry H. Miller Hyundai in Albuquerque has two or three AWD Ultimates in stock as I type. Keep thin in mind. They generally like to stay in state but here's an option for you.

Happy hunting!:grin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey JR Kona..... GREAT info and helpful way to land a deal.

I have a few questions.

What was the dealer invoice price and MSRP for your Ultimate?
Did they give you the dealer invoice on paper or just tell you the number?
Did they sales TAX you on the invoice amount or the lower amount after incentives?
Did they add a dealer fee and high document fee on top? < mine dealer wants $699 >

6. Try to get them to a price under the invoice price w/TTL included.
Can you speak on this a bit more?

Also.... do you have any idea when the 2019 Konas will hit the street?

Thanks again!

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
State: NM
Trim: Ultimate FWD
Options; First Aid Kit, Front & Rear Mats, Cargo Mat,
MSRP: $31,500.00
Price: $27K TTL out the door w/Platinum Service Package/Military Rebate/Hyundai Rebate/Allstate Marketing Rebate

Taxed on total negotiated amount including incentives. Don't agree on it any other way. One of their common tricks is to quote you the negotiated amount without TTL. Don't do this, so you won't be surprised in the end. Insist on the total negotiated price, including TTL.

Dealer prep or setup fees are always negotiable but I have no idea what country you are located in, so it may vary. I don't pay dealer prep or set up fees. There is really no setup other than to remove the shipping covers, wash the vehicle and check the fluid levels. Some dealers will charge up to $500.00 for this. If they won't move off the prep or negotiate, find another dealer.

2019's, talk to your dealer they should know. Generally, most manufactures stop previous year builds in July or August prior to the next years models. I believe the EV will be released in the last quarter and maybe a good indication of when the 2019's will be available. However check with your appropriate dealer.
Sorry "high document fee," have no idea what this is. Maybe you're referring to documentation fees? Read the provided website text, it maybe of more assistance.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-pricing-negotiation/watch-out-for-these-dealership-fees-when-buying-a-car/

Invoice price is what the dealers say is the purchased amount for the vehicle, from the manufacture. This is allot of nonsense. However, the invoice price they show should be your starting point for negotiation. Invoice price (sometimes referred to as "dealer cost") the price that appears on the invoice the manufacturer sends to the dealer, when the dealer receives a car from the factory. However, this price is almost always higher than the amount the dealer actually ends up paying to the manufacturer. If you request the invoice price, they are compelled to show you on paper. If they don't get up and leave.

Dealers floor plan most of their vehicles and don't pay for them until they are sold, then the manufacture is paid. "Hold back money," which is also negotiable. Dealers Holdback is an amount paid to the dealer by the manufacturer for each new vehicle sold. It is generally calculated as a percentage of Invoice Price or Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) including or excluding options, or as a fixed amount, and the calculation and amount varies across manufacturers.

Blessing and Peace

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm in FL and have been looking at Kona Ultimate FWD like yours.
Sorry if I sound green, but what exactly does TTL mean? Tax - Title - Registration included?
You got a great deal especially with the Platinum Service Package included.
The only thing I can't get the rebate on is Military, and I think the Hyundai Rebate ends tomorrow.

So you basically walked out the door paying $3500 under MSRP with Platinum Service Package?

Wish I could do that < minus Military rebate of course >

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Actually more than $3500 as you're only taking in consideration the MSRP without the TTL or the reduction in cost for the Platinum Service options.

TTL State Tax, Title and License fees.

You can always enlist, it's an all volunteer force!:wink::grin:

Blessing and Peace

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks! They wouldn't take me at my age! haahaa.

From your original post... looks like you negotiated Platinum Service Package AFTER your "out the door" price at an employee price addition of $1500. If that is true, you were at $25,500 before adding Platinum Service Package? Man.... you rock!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in FL and have been looking at Kona Ultimate FWD like yours.
Don't know what part of FL you are in, but Hyundai of Central Florida in Clermont has surprisingly good Up Front pricing.

Not sure what their inventory is for the Ultimate since that's a different trim than I'm looking for.
I've been surprised how difficult it has been for other dealers to beat their Up Front price.
Finally, after lots of effort and trips to dealers, I'm getting a few offers below it, but that seems crazy to me.

If Dealer X can't beat a dealership that does Up Front pricing once in a while then that implies that *EVERY* car Dealer X sells is for more money than *EVERY* car Hyundai of Central Florida is selling. (Or else I'm really, really, bad at bargaining despite doing tons of research... which is possible.)

I would think it's a safe assumption that if a dealership has calculated No Haggle pricing to put on all of its cars then they're not selling them at a loss.

And let's say Dealer X bends over backwards and beats their Up Front price by a few hundred dollars. Are you trying to tell me that they *never* sell cars for a few hundred *over* HofCFL's Up Front price? I would think many sales are for *significantly* - like $1,000 or more - higher.

Basically just leads me to believe that most dealers must be raking it in.

Again thanks to those sharing info. It's giving me confidence to hold out for better offers.

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Thanks! They wouldn't take me at my age! haahaa.

From your original post... looks like you negotiated Platinum Service Package AFTER your "out the door" price at an employee price addition of $1500. If that is true, you were at $25,500 before adding Platinum Service Package? Man.... you rock!!
Pretty much. I roll allot to!:grin: Can't win unless you try, even a win is just, an ends to a means.:wink:

One last thing, remember to be nice, no matter what. If It gets to intense, get up and go to the bathroom, compose yourself and start again. Take your time and don't expect success right off. You may have to go thru a couple or three dealers to get where you want.

I hope you are successful at whatever you decide to do.:smile:

Blessing and Peace

·
Registered
51 Posts
Chiming in from Canada, on just how my pre-order went.
My immediate local dealer tried to force a model colour on me, because it was a quick deal for them.
I drove to the neighbouring city, met with the principal partner (knew him from previous dealing/ other dealer) and was blunt.
NOTE: This is based on returning a '16 Tucson lease for a '18 Kona lease

"I've driven and know exactly the model I am wanting, so I don't need to take up a sales person's time"

Now, being a business owner myself, I'm not wanting to be "that guy" who is only interested in grinding every penny for a deal, rather
being an upfront negotiator, talking about what's fair and looking more to being welcomed and respected should/ when I return for service or parts.

- I didn't want to finance (again, lease deal here) any landing, dealer prep or accessory fees with my lease
- I agreed to pay up front, as my holding deposit, $1500 (lease caveat: 1st/last payment, dealer fee of $450, taxes due on payments)
- I ordered the exact model and colour (2L Luxury in Lagoon Blue), knowing it would be anywhere from 6-10 weeks for arrival due to the limited colour availability
- I also requested that, my car have the windows tinted, rear debadging, and plasti-dip the front & back H logo, and that I would pay for this separately.

After just shy of 6 weeks, I received an email, that Hyundai Canada has received a VIN # and my car is on the ocean, being transported
Almost 2 months to the day, the dealer rep called me direct, that my car was on the lot and ready for pick up.

Did all the necessary paperwork, returning my vehicle, going through the operations of a few features, insurance applied and DONE!
Oh, and the dealer didn't charge me for my "requested additions".
I'll be going back to see them for a full set of winter tires & rims, first services and comp winter floor mats once they come in.

Again, this is simply a comment of my experience and how one dealer (35km away) went far above the local dealer (5km) to respectfully earn my business.
There are of course, other minor details that occurred, but nothing that would have changed things - beyond the fact that I am a returning Hyundai (lease) customer.

Hope this helps even if just a little. Best of luck and remember, if you want something bad enough, patience and diligence are great allies.

·
Registered
41 Posts
State: NM
Trim: Ultimate FWD
Options; First Aid Kit, Front & Rear Mats, Cargo Mat,
MSRP: $31,500.00
Price: $27K TTL out the door w/Platinum Service Package/Military Rebate/Hyundai Rebate/Allstate Marketing Rebate
Hey Jr. Kona. Was the MSRP on the 2018 models a lot more or are you including the Platinum Package in your figure? The MSRP on my Ultimate AWD with carpet floor mats, cargo net, cargo tray and rear bumper applique is $30,240

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
FWD with everything including the entire Platinum Warranty Package. Depending on where you live the, the Market Adjusted Value that Hyundai dealers use, can be more or less. I just saw a 2019 Lime Kona AWD with a dealers Market Adjust Value of $33,995.00.

Our cost as not was 27K TTL including everything you quoted above and also the cargo net, floor mats, and cargo tray.

Blessings and Peace

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
Sorry, $27K TTL with everything listed above.

Blessings and Peace

1 - 14 of 14 Posts