Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 black kona limited
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my steering wheel just started making a whirring sound when turning left and right. doesnt matter if im moving or parked.
anybody else have this issue?
thanks

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I have it too, but I listen to music almost all the time so it doesn't bug me. If it not a clock spring, it is a bearing and they have been putting in new steering columns under warranty. I tried to find the thread where there is a picture of the whole steering column was in the guys hand. It's here on the site, you just need to find it.

·
Registered
2020 black kona limited
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have it too, but I listen to music almost all the time so it doesn't bug me. If it not a clock spring, it is a bearing and they have been putting in new steering columns under warranty. I tried to find the thread where there is a picture of the whole steering column was in the guys hand. It's here on the site, you just need to find it.
thanks i found it right after i posted this lol

its not a safety issue is it?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Yea, I should get mine in for a new worm gear or column as I thrash the corners at high speed on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2020 black kona limited
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, I should get mine in for a new worm gear or column as I thrash the corners at high speed on a regular basis.
took it in its that exact problem, and its backordered for months. they said other models like the tuscon and more have the same issue

·
Registered
1 Posts
my steering wheel just started making a whirring sound when turning left and right. doesnt matter if im moving or parked.
anybody else have this issue?
thanks
I've had my 2019 AWD SEL since 8/10/19. Mine has made that sound since I got it. It's most noticeable when I'm backing into and out of parking spots. The dealer said it's not an issue. If you should start having a clonking-type sound, then that's an issue and you probably should get the steering checked out/replaced.

·
Registered
2020 black kona limited
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I've had my 2019 AWD SEL since 8/10/19. Mine has made that sound since I got it. It's most noticeable when I'm backing into and out of parking spots. The dealer said it's not an issue. If you should start having a clonking-type sound, then that's an issue and you probably should get the steering checked out/replaced.
my dealer is fixing it, its not a normal sound. theres a hyuindai notice about it in their systems
it just started making the noise. so something went awry.

·
Registered
2019 Lake Silver Kona Ultimate
23 Posts
I feel all of the above msgs about the whirring, buzzing steering column noises above. After just having both BCW Radar boxes replaced (as at this time of writing...~$4000 warranty) to repair THAT issue, I discovered the same, above mentioned steering column noise over the last 3 weeks. Finally convinced the GF of it too. Just returned from our friendly dealership and they agreed that there is definitely an ongoing issue with this. There is an open campaign already in progress for this. Apparently there are 3 items they are reviewing: clock spring (none in stock. It's like they're all in high demand...[go figger!]) bearing, and worm gear. Once they have the clock spring, they're pulling the entire column to work their way down the list , <$ - >$. After all the other fuss, we found it fitting and welcomed, to reward the guys and gals in the shop with coffee and donuts. Never hurts to remembered as gracious.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, what is the downside to waiting to get this repair? Is there a major safety issue or is this more of an annoyance. I want it fixed, but I'm just judging how long to wait. I'm at 50,000 miles so I'm probably out of warranty for it.

·
Registered
2019 Lake Silver Kona Ultimate
23 Posts
So, what is the downside to waiting to get this repair? Is there a major safety issue or is this more of an annoyance. I want it fixed, but I'm just judging how long to wait. I'm at 50,000 miles so I'm probably out of warranty for it.
Well, first I would check to see if this campaign might actually become a recall and where your warranty currently stands. The downside of a delay might only be an increased noise, but depending on the actual component, I would dare say that it could eventually affect the ease of steering return and/or chatter in the column. Dunno for sure. This is the first vehicle I've owned with electric steering. If you have a good dealership, they should be able to steer you right...all pun intended...😄 Good luck! 🤞

1 - 12 of 12 Posts